Register now to get rid of these ads!

Suggestions on a '40 Packard 110

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by Tom Sherry, May 23, 2020.

1. Tom Sherry

Tom Sherry

So, I've had this '40 110 parked in the garage since I was 28.

I'm now 59. I bought an older restoration '37 Packard so that I could actually enjoy it without 2000 man hours and twenty thousand dollars in restoration on a $12,000 car. The '37 needs a bit more work but I spent the winter rebuilding the brakes and replacing king pins/bushings etc. on the front end. Useable as is now.

So, the question is, what should I do with the '40? Freshen it up with repaired suspension and brakes, handle the basic body work, provide a new wiring harness and interior, and let it have a bit of a rough edge? I'm uninterested in dropping a SBC in it, but rebuilding the straight six with a few performance enhancements is sort of appealing. Interestingly it has a dual exhaust for the 245 straight six and overdrive...

Ideas and pipe dreams welcome.

2. I would move this thread over to "general discussion" forum with pictures...
    More likely to get some input.

3. just curious, are you the tv weather guy? Same Tom Sherry?

Post some pics of the Packard, they are awesome cars!

4. GTOguy

GTOguy
    from Fresno CA

I like your idea of getting it running/driving/reliable with the original drivetrain and leaving the cosmetics survivor/driver quality. Much less time, money, and you can drive it anywhere without worrying about paint chips, etc. 350sbc/TH350/9"=BORING.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  6. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

What model , 2 Dr, 4 Dr, sedan , coupe, conv. Fastback????

lothiandon1940 likes this.