Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Front end lowering

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by 564wings, Mar 28, 2020.

1. alchemy

alchemy

Kinda, but not really. Everything from the lower ball joint up is now a couple inches too high. The steering arms are going uphill (bumpsteer). The upper balljoint is almost at the binding point. This stuff is not as good as a dropped spindle, but it does provide the same stance.

Hnstray likes this.
  2. samurai mike

samurai mike

i know i said ball joint, but the 56 pontiac has king pin setup like pre 55 chevys. so no ball joint bind. i don't think bump steer would be any different than cutting the coils. steering arms would still be at an angle wouldn't they?

3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

If that is the way the modification is done, then yes. But ‘traditional’ stepped A arms lowered the spring seat on the A arm, often retaining the stock spring height. With that method, the A arm and spindle are raised relative to the spring, moving the A arm upward, closer to the bump stop. Neither method is ideal.

Ray

4. samurai mike

samurai mike

007.jpg 49 chevy control arm notch1.jpg 49 chevy control arm notch3.jpg stepped.JPG 49 chevy control arm notch1.jpg 49 chevy control arm notch3.jpg stepped.JPG this is what i was calling stepping.

caseywheels likes this.
  5. one coil drops a car about 2 In. as a rule of thumb for any car

6. Mimilan

Mimilan

7. samurai mike

samurai mike

no you would still lose suspension travel and the a frame will be at an angle.

caseywheels likes this.
  8. Mimilan

Mimilan

Unless there is something inside the A-arm that bottoms out/interferes , the results would be the same.
    On your last photo... Draw a straight line from the inner to outer pivots [that is the true A-arm angle] You have only "doglegged" it.

Frenching [or reccessing] the spring would achieve the same results If there is room for clearance

9. Ask around the local street/hot rodders to see where they have their's done. Most all of the guys in Amarillo go to one shop.