Register now to get rid of these ads!

burned out!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FORDOLE500, Jul 11, 2006.

1. Mrs. Ingus

Mrs. Ingus
    BANNED

Have you tried taking her out in the garage and trying to get her interested? My old man bought our 53 and I thought "oh shit", oh shit what I don't know. Then I drove her, oh my god it's addictive. Then she had a choke issue. The first time I fixed it myself in parking lot and drove her home, we were bonded for life. I want to learn instead of being the chick in the parking lot with a broken car waiting on a man. I pull my tools out of my purse and see what I can do to fix it, I have to call for advice sometimes, but that's cool.

2. That's hot! If we weren't already married to each other I'd have to hit on ya. ;)

Man I take breaks a lot, right now I'm a little burned out myself. Which is why I keep bothering everyone on the HAMB more than usual. :D We all get that way sometimes.

3. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

in the same boat, been building the 55 chev every fri. nite, sat. and sunday morning from like 5am to around 12 or so.for a year now.It gets real frustrating trying to balance driving truck, being dad and husband,homeowner and whatever else.Car is somewhat nearing completion and I need a break or a drunk or something.Wife isn't into cars like me but we used to ride the harley quite a bit but like an ass I sold it to get back into cars and now we spend almost no time together other than week nights after work.I hate to quit working on the car now but I feel I need a break from it .in other words HELP!!

4. FORDOLE500

FORDOLE500

your the cool guy dildo that burns me out on the scene. If this post is so lame why did you even respond

5. 2tons0fun

2tons0fun

I feel your pain but remember this hobby is essentially a comedy of errors. Nothing aftermarket ever fits, fasteners don't loosen easily, the cost of fuel keeps rising, summit raised their prices, my bolt-in radiator required cutting AND welding, and I have had to buy two new marine batteries (for my '66 charger) and fix three flat tires this week. Did I mention I'm on vacation? :D

When the project gets finished and you are riding down the road all of the above is worn as a badge of honor. Funny how that works...

Just one last scenario to make you feel better. I don't know anything about ford stuff but had to pick a c6 trans core and rebuild it for my 460--> '59 ford swap. Scored a trans and rebuilt it rollerized w/ a manual reverse valve body and a 4000 rpm n20 converter. I'm thinking I'm real far ahead on this because I don't even have the old motor out of the car yet.
    Anyway, I get my "bolt-in" conversion motor mounts, cut and weld them to fit right and go to install the trans w/ supplied, modified "bolt-in" conversion x-memeber...but wait. wtf? The trans is like 4.5" too long. I have a beer, scratch my head, :confused:. I walk around back of the shop and as I'm taking a leak on this junk c6 core laying in the mud I realize it has a shorter tailshaft. :mad: It does have the correct mounting boss, but still. Now I have to tear my fresh, never run trans apart and swap tailshafts w/ one I just took a leak on. Hang in there, it's got to get better ?

Jeremiah

6. Sawracer

Sawracer
    from socal

I think it's perfectly natural to get burned out on anything. Take your time on considering a sale. Rash decisions can suck. I feel the same way about my race car, it doesn't fit my family now that we have a new addition (baby boy). That is why I am building the model A, a cruiser. The racecar may be for sale. But man I would feel terrible about it. SOOOO much time and money!

7. CptKaos

CptKaos

just raggin on ya, didnt mean to make your pussy hurt :)

Larry

8. FORDOLE500

FORDOLE500

my wife is not a bitch about it but you can tell she is not so interested, but she always supports my ideas about it. I have a shop that I do paintless dent repair in so i build my cars at work in between customers so I very seldom have to work on them after hours, I even got her a 54 buick that was beautiful and she loved it but little things kept leaving her stranded and kind of put her excitement off. now that i have the deuce its rough ridding loud and kind of uncomfortable for her. I dont know I am just going through a mid life i guess. I am not going to do anything rash but just talking always helps!

9. FORDOLE500

FORDOLE500

ok sorry ,my pussy feels better

10. HotRodDriver

HotRodDriver
    from Oklahoma

I was where you are now back in April. My four days in Austin got my motor revving again. I am fortunate that my wife has always supported my love of old cars. I finally got the coupe back on the road after a long build. I encouage her to take it to the store, or whatever, and she occasionally does, and I can see she likes it better, now that it is a little more reliable. Still noisy and rides a little stiff, but it's growing on her.

11. ginuine555

ginuine555
    from louisiana

I finally got a chance to buya fifty ford which I have been wanting for along time. It needs alot of work. My problem would be if I got rid of it I probably would not have the cash to get another one. I would think real hard about getting rid of it unless you have the money to buy another. Like my wife says wait six months before making an important decision. Hope my spelling is ok

12. Dirty2

Dirty2

Yea to buy a 5 window :D

13. Hang in there Todd.My wife knows that cars are #2 to me,#1 being my family.She knew when my dad died, I was gonna get the Merc I always wanted and buy my boys their first cars,so we would have a common interest.I always ask her if she has any plans before I run off to a show or cruise night.I know she would never tell me I can't go,but I still ask her out of respect. I do get the ocasional rath about forgeting to cut the grass,or something like that,but it always balances out. Maybe you are burned out because you work on cars for a living and have cars for a hobby.When I was a VW mechanic I hated working on my car,after working on VW's all day.I got into construction,now cars are only my hobby. Besides,i'm sure your son likes the Duece as much as he did the shoebox.Much better car to pass on to a son!

14. Why are you such a DICK! Go watch cartoons and drink your milk,asshole!

15. I've been a fabricator full time since I was 19. I have had at least one project going since I was 17 and I've never finished a one. I have had to rent 2 garages and pay my old boss to store one of my projects while I moved from the house I bought because it had a garage which I couldn't afford. I think back on all of the money and time I've spent/wasted on parts and projects that didn't pan out. I think of the things I could have had, or who I could have been if I had used my resources better and you know what I see?

God I love hot rods.

16. Keith English

Keith English

Man I never get burned out on cars, but my wife does get burned out on hearing all that car stuff though. With me its not about the car, its about being able to do somthing that you can be proud of with your own two hands. And then the nods and the thumbs up that you get when your crusin thats what I love about cars. Don't get me wrong I love my wife very much thats why shes my wife and she is into cars also but not like me. I think that she gets more frustrated because she doesn't have one of her own. So dont sell anything yet just put it away for a while and when your wife makes you irritated the go tincker with it, but then come back to your wife.

17. Do not sell the coupe...you will regret it.

Put it on the back burner, storage or just in the garage. Make your time for the wife and kids or include them in all the fun....like the shows and stuff. Get her around other gals so they can chat and talk w/ each other.

MY little girl spends alot of time w/ me around my cars and working on them WEre starting a small project to customize her pedal car w/ custom paint and modifications.

There can be a balance, but only you can find that.

Here are a few picts of my little girl and HER love for the cars too. :)

Attached Files:

18. Irish Dan

Irish Dan

Borrowing an old saying: "This too shall pass." ......It will, & when it does, you're back in the game again!

19. I got burned out on cars several years ago. My wife told me to lock the garage and not sell a thing. She said she knew I would be really sorry if I sold anything. Told me to take a vacation away from them for a while. It worked. Pat.

20. CHI NOH

CHI NOH

chi noh's words to live by: " happy wife - happy life" and never, ever schedule your vacations to rebuild your nailhead!

21. repoman

repoman

Without knowing you, I'd say that is your problem.

Get back in the garage and have more time alone wrenching.

Maybe you should sell the car, and spend half the money on a new project, the other half on bills, hookers, whatever. Get a fresh start.

I've taken breaks over the years myself. I have about a two year attention span with cars. After that, I need a new project. Finishing them sucks.

Unless you want to be one of those sad old guys who either hangs out on a lawn chair next to their perfect car, or a guy who tells stories about "I used to have one of those..."