Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1929 truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ratrod0, May 26, 2020.

1. ratrod0

ratrod0

I'm going to start getting parts for my dads old truck, its running and driving but not good enuf for him. Trying to decide the rear set up, and springs. Ladder bar, 4 bar, coil spring, leaf spring. It needs to ride smooth not like a wagon. 20190720_181947.jpg

2. flatford39

flatford39

Does it have tube shocks now??? Looks pretty stock. I would start there before you do all the other things you mentioned.

3. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

Sometimes we need to tell Dad to suck it up, accept what we are Blessed with.

4. That Model A is perfect like it is. If you are not going to IRS/IFS, it's only going to get so good, it's a Model A! If you really have to fuck with it, I have owned Model A's with cross sprung rear ends, and coil over rear ends, and the coil over set up rides better. Just don't run parallel 4 bars on coil overs. People will tell you a panhard bar will control parallel 4 bar set ups. I have run a panhard bar from the frame to the center of the rear end, and frame to the farthest point on the opposite side, and any length I tried, the 4 bar rear end wallows cross ways to the chassis over bumps. I would start out with your dad's truck on the stock rear spring with a few leaves removed, front and rear. See if that's good enough for him. It's certainly cheap enough. Modern 70/30 shocks will give a little improvement over the stock lever shocks too. My last 2 Model A's have rode on radials. That right there gave the biggest improvement in ride quality over all the other changes together.

5. low down A

low down A

i agree look's nice as is.

tractorguy and Flathead Dave like this.
  6. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A set of 16 inch wheels will help as well.

Dean Lowe and Sandgroper like this.
  7. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Depends how much work you are prepared to do and how much you are willing to pull the car apart to do it.
    I extended the chassis on a pickup and ran a pair of semi elliptic strings on the rear.
    Much improved ride.
    The pickup with the length of the box is long enough to get away with semi elliptic springs.
    possibly the woody would also work...

You know the story, once you change one thing other items are usually also affected.
    Probably in your case it will be brakes next and so it will go on.
    1935 wire wheels will help, plus you could remove a couple of leaves out of the springs and add telescopic shocks for starters.

Sandgroper likes this.
  8. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Could also put some weight in the bed.

tractorguy likes this.
  9. ratrod0

ratrod0

The body is coming off, boxing the frame, he has a so/cal 4" drop axle hair pins, vega box, power dic up front, s10 rear end, 700r trans, American Slat flat wheels. Truck is all stock right now.

fiftyv8 likes this.
  10. ratrod0

ratrod0

just don't know which way to go with the rear

11. Take a look at the current thread Marty Strode has going on the 29 RPU he's building. Marty has built street rods, track roadsters and dragsters. You could do a whole lot worse than the way he sets a chassis up.

12. ratrod0

ratrod0

not going that rout, more like that gold truck Pete and Jake had

13. ratrod0

ratrod0

How many leaf would you take out of the rear to make it ride smooth. I might put ladder bars from Pete and Jake, step the frame up 2". But how many leafs to ride smooth I'm not sure. I just know about 32 stuff, I do have some 32 stuff for sale, going to run a add in about a week

14. Packrat

Packrat

That's a nice looking truck, would love to have it just like that!

Truckdoctor Andy and MO54Frank like this.
  15. alchemy

alchemy

If you kick the frame in the back of a pickup you will have a bump in the bed. See that tin cover in the stock box? That's because the frame is already a hair's width below the payload.

Personally I'd find some tall tires that fill the wheelwell and don't require as much lowering. Then use the stock height frame and a stock spring with maybe a couple leaves removed. Or maybe a bit of de-arching. You can always adjust this after you are driving it for a while and see how it sits/rides. It's just an afternoon at the H press and then a little paint.

low down A likes this.
  16. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

I'd loose the front turn signals in the bumper, the spare tire, mud flaps in the back and most of all, the cattle rack on the bed. Have Joe drop the axle to 4" and a new Posie easy glide spring in the front. Lower the headlight bar and use 34 commercial headlights. Use a Model T rear spring along with 16" wires with 6.00 and 7.00 bias ply tires. Finally hydraulic brakes and a Vega cross steer and call it good.

Last edited: May 27, 2020
  17. ratrod0

ratrod0

I will sale it to you.

18. ratrod0

ratrod0

Will a T spring lower the truck, and make it ride better, or just take half the leafs out of the a model

19. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

Use a 26-27 Model T rear spring ........take 2-3 leaf's out........reverse the eyes, and it will drop you approx, 3-3 1/2 inches.

fiftyv8 and Dean Lowe like this.
  20. That's a good way to try. If you use a TCI flat cross member you can get the 2" without cutting the bed floor. Again, study Marty's thread.

loudbang and fiftyv8 like this.
  21. Your profile says you are 59 years old. That makes your dad probably at least 79. I think I would put a Model A roadster spring in the rear (that is what I have in my '31 RDPU) and maybe take a few leafs out of the front spring. Let your dad drive it and enjoy it. What you are planning will probably mean he will never drive it again.

Charlie Stephens

22. ratrod0

ratrod0

he's 85 and I keep getting on to him for taking it apart now, I'm trying to keep it all together while we get parts together,he has the motor,trans,re-end, so/cal front end right now. And $10,000 cash to put it together I have got to finish my truck up before starting his. His should be done next spring

23. ratrod0

ratrod0

my car and truck 20200501_162336.jpg

waxhead likes this.
  24. Budget36

Budget36

I'd take care of Pop's now, let him enjoy the ride.

25. Barry, if you remember my old pickup I use the Pete & Jake's ladder bars and a mono transverse rear spring, I knew it had a smoother ride than Dave's Gold truck, he used coil overs, HRP

26. with a nicely restored truck like that, i (if i had to) would buy a new chassis, then just add on to that. Seems a shame to start cutting & welding on that original. Pull & push that original out fro underneath, & sell it, or save it. just in case someone down the road wants to put it back together

Dean Lowe likes this.
  27. That would be my plan too. ^

28. redo32

redo32

X3.... New P&J chassis, powdercoat and bolt your body on. You'll have a complete restored A chassis to sell and a lot of parts you've collected to start your next build.

29. ratrod0

ratrod0

R Jay's street rod on the hamb is going to do a chassis for us.