Register now to get rid of these ads!

home made tools and equipment...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kustombuilder, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Anytime I’m going to cut/ weld on anything that had possibility of blowing up, I first toss a burning piece of paper or match book, or something burning into it first at a distance! I alway make sure it’s not contained before I cut/weld also! It has worked for me, for years!

Bones

loudbang likes this.
  2. verde742

verde742

If I am going to DO any cutting or welding on a barrel or a GAS TANK, I open as many openings as it has, then I put a pipe from my exhaust pipe on my truck, letting it run for a while, then have at, while my truck exhaust idles into the tank or barrel..

Seems to work so far.

One guy blew up a gas tank, on his way to heaven, he passed a guy ,
    told him Never light a torch around a gas tank, another guy, shouted "what do you know about gas ovens ? "

3. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Thought I would post my newest addition to my tool inventory. I wanted to be able to check some valve springs but I didn't like the idea of using a tester in a vice. Seemed pretty ineffective and clumsy.......the clumsy part being "me".
    The good testers ran from pretty expensive to really expensive. With only about $125 and about a little:)):D) time,I came up with this concoction. It gives me repeatable control and verification very easily. I bought the Proform Spring Tester for about $80. The 2" travel dial indicator was $25 from Amazon. A $10 1.750 Socket and a $4 knurled knob from Ebay. Forgot what I gave for the ruler, but it came in a pack of 2 and was cheap. The main component, the crank handle with the acme thread was from my junk pile along with the tubing and aluminum base. Oh, the original crank handle was too small, so I had to buy a larger one for $15 and a few dollars for some acme thread nuts. So I spent a little more than originally planned, but I think its actually better than some of the expensive testers. But then I'm probably a little biased. I think one thing that works well is the 2" dial indicator. Most any spring I will be dealing with will be in the neighborhood of 2" long. Since coil bind in springs of this size usually occurs at .900+, by using a .500 riser as the starting point for the indicator, I should have plenty of travel to check coil bind and any point above that. The 2" indicator came about after I had the ruler installed, and it gives me good accuracy...I hope.

Valve Spring Tester 1xx.JPG

Valve Spring Tester 3xx.JPG

Valve Spring Tester 4xx.JPG

Valve Spring Tester 5xx.JPG

Valve Spring Tester 6xx.JPG

Valve Spring Tester 7xx.JPG

Valve Spring Tester 8xx.JPG

4. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

While I'm on a roll, here are some covers I made a long time ago for my sandblaster. They slip in place and keep critters from crawling inside the gloves. I always wondered if a spider or something might be in the gloves when I hadn't used the blaster for a while.
    Sandblaster Covers 1.JPG

Sandblaster Covers 2.JPG

Last of all, not something I made, but a handy dandy Harbor Freight LED Light. Bout 4" in size and great for providing additional welding light or up under the dashboard etc. It has a magnet in the base. Bout $7 I think.

Weld Light 1.JPG

Weld Light 2.JPG

Weld Light 3.JPG

5. loudbang

loudbang

What is the pressure gauge used for on a spring tester?

1947knuck likes this.
  6. Sporty45

Sporty45

I posted this in the "What did you do today" thread, but it should probably be here.
    I made a cam bearing remover/installer for my big block chevy. Cut the nose off the old cam and made a plate out of some scrap 1/4" plate I had that I drilled to fit the cam dowel and bolt holes. Mounted it on the cam nose and turned it down to just under the diameter of the bearing journal in the block. Then took a piece of 1" rod and made a short and long drive rod for it. Then made a centering piece out of some nylon to keep the rod centered in the journals. Worked like a charm driving out the old bearings, and I'm hoping it will work just as well driving in the new ones.

IMG_20200421_103234027.jpg IMG_20200421_103320563.jpg IMG_20200421_103307128.jpg

7. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Wow, beautiful work and the handle didn't even burn up! LOL

alanp561, METAL MELTDOWN and loudbang like this.
  8. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Thats what tells you the strength of the spring at open and closed valve lengths.

loudbang likes this.
  9. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Cylinder has a 1 sq. in. bore. 300 pounds on the cylinder reads 300 pounds on the gauge.

BradinNC and loudbang like this.
  10. Very nicely done.........

loudbang and ekimneirbo like this.
  11. slack

slack

"I always wondered if a spider or something might be in the gloves when I hadn't used the blaster for a while".
    I like the way you think. o_O

ekimneirbo and loudbang like this.
  12. not a home made tool, but a home made tool holder. my wife made me this wrench roll to hold my Witworth wrenches. she made it from scrap leather she had. it is a fine furniture grade. she did a great job. IMG_0071.JPG IMG_0072.JPG IMG_0073.JPG

Rex_A_Lott, biggeorge, brEad and 16 others like this.
  13. atch

atch

So, tb, do you have a Trumpet or Beezer you carry these on?

brEad, tb33anda3rd and loudbang like this.
  14. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Awesome! I love wrench folds! A great way to carry tools on the road, and determine if you have all of them when you are done with a road project!!! Your wife did an excellent job!

Bones

tb33anda3rd and loudbang like this.
  15. 1 sq inch area come from 1-1/8” bore hydraulic cylinder (.99402 sq inches).

it’s pretty handy little coincidence for measuring all kinds of crap when the gauge PSI reading converts straight to weight.
    With some cheap wheel cylinders and gauges you can make scales to weigh cars, axle weights, with 4 you can weigh way bias, make real time adjustments, see how moving a 50 lb battery around changes all 4 corners, pre load sway bars.
    You can actually order the correct coil over springs :D:p the first time!! Maybe even figure out the spring rate of the transverse springs that plague so many. Easily calculate un sprung weight to sprung weight ratios

@Andy

GuyW, loudbang and tb33anda3rd like this.
  16. roller

loudbang likes this.
  17. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

Hate the little punches that vibrate in your hand when you hit them.
    I used a 1" bolt and cut off the threads and rounded the the head. I then got a 1/4" punch from a iron worker and welded it on the end. works great, easy to hold at a angle to get the point set exactly where I want it with no vibration threw the punch.
    005.jpg 006.jpg

Last edited: May 26, 2020
  18. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

Made some dolly's for my 1936 Flathead and 351 Cleveland.
    002.jpg 003.jpg 004.jpg 011.jpg 012.jpg

brEad, LAROKE, biggeorge and 5 others like this.
  19. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

I have a bunch of grinders with different wheels and disc's on them to save time not having to change them out all the time. I then ran into a problem with them laying around everywhere so I built this holder. 007.jpg 008.jpg 009.jpg 010.jpg 015.jpg

alanp561, brEad, LAROKE and 9 others like this.
  20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm really liking that grinder stand.
    I can't take credit for these saw horses as I bought them for pocket change at an estate sale last year and danged well couldn't afford to buy new pipe an pipe fittings to make a pair.
    1 inch pipe, and they will lay flat when you aren't using them. The chains keep the legs from spreading too far.
    the second shot is an engine stand welded up using 3-1/2 inch thick wall tubing that a former student of mine welded up in ag shop and then didn't pay for and I ended up buying for cost of materials. It wasn't cheap even then though. Danged thing weighs about 80 lbs though. DSCN9409 (2).JPG DSCN9414.JPG

21. atch

atch

[​IMG]

cad; did you put a notch for each grinder or leave the top of the holder smooth all the way across? If not do you wish you had notched it?

loudbang likes this.
  22. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

I left it smooth. They don't move at all once they're set. Also allows me to put the bigger grinders in any order. It's made out of 1/8" sheet metal.

23. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That grinder rack is one of the simplest and best Ideas I have seen. One I plan to copy to some degree too.

loudbang and 1946caddy like this.
  24. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner
    from Western MA

I'm liking the idea of locating the plugs/cords when I finally get to fabbing up a decent welding bench to mount such a bracket on or near.

Ed

loudbang likes this.
  25. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

This isn't really some homemade tool or equipment but it's something I came up with they help with my engine work. I have to replace the timing chain and guides on my OT vehicle and while I have a lot of light in the shop, the hood blocks most of the light from overhead. I bought this 3 foot completely in closed LED light from one of the box stores for under $20 and used the chain and S hooks it came with to light up under the hood. Works so much better than those little shop work lights that seem to just get in the way under the hood.
    001.jpg 001.jpg

Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
    Just Gary, alanp561, mbaker and 9 others like this.
  26. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

^^^^should come with the optional pair of vice grips to lock the hood struts in place....LOL

loudbang and RICH B like this.
  27. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

09BE50E4-2128-4750-B0A4-9EAC13A98541.jpeg This is my blast cabinet made off of a 55 gal drum . Blaster parts are from t p tool. It has a removable end for larger stuff, but for most smaller things I use the removable window. It works great and I have about 200 bucks in it.

Gizzy, BradinNC, whtbaron and 11 others like this.
  28. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner
    from Western MA

To keep from chewing up good finishes on shafts and such I've wrapped a few layers of duct tape around the jaws.

Ed

loudbang and bobbytnm like this.
  29. Mart

Mart

Only if you don't have a broom handy.

loudbang and bobbytnm like this.
  30. brading

brading

Just need a couple of bits of U shaped tube to slip over the shafts.

loudbang likes this.