Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Southeast Gasser 65 Comet Super Stock Wagon

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by southcross2631, Jan 19, 2020.

1. southcross2631

southcross2631

RmK57. The car is still a unibody car in front of the subframe connectors. Do you think a swingout bar is going to help that much anyway ?
    If I put in a front hoop and dash bar then ran bars to the front shock towers and then to the end of the front of the car by the core support it would make a difference . I can only hope that someone will not be coming back toward the starting line while I am going toward the finish line.
    I appreciate your concern , but if you take all of the danger out of it they wouldn't call it racing.
    If you read the rules book on the Southeast Gasser Super Stocks it says roll bar allowed. Not roll cage. Remember the 67 rule book would not allow a full roll cage in the super stock class.

dirty old man, AHotRod, Thor1 and 3 others like this.
  2. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Happy Anniversary!
    If you get a chance to meet this couple at the track take the time and do so. They are great people and it will be time well spent.

Dog_Patch, brEad, Thor1 and 3 others like this.
  3. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Even the same color lol- I got rid of my 66 Fairlane wagon when I drug this one home. The thing with the Fairlane wagon was that Ford listed the 427 as an option, so even though they never built any, NHRA said OK- there are lots of them racing these days. The 65 Comets are just great looking race cars, and smaller than the 66-67s. I almost bought a very nice roller that a friend had, and had the whole Crites setup, said the headers were still a PITA- and this was local, reasonable and clear title, and a solid Caliente. I am determined to get rid of the shock towers completely, there are several ways to do it. I have a set of Crites headers as well as a set of old Doug's big tubes that criss-cross under the engine. Seriously looking at a drop axle mounted on top of parallel leafs, don't want it way up in the air. A buddy has a 64 Falcon with MII suspension and a 427 and it also makes for an open engine compartment. You can also use coilovers with the upper mount on the foreleg of the cage, we had a 66 Fairlane that way with a 460 in it that had plenty of room. Leaning towards the drop axle, have a friend who does them, has lots of parts and wants my 60 ton press hehehe

Cal3.jpg

brEad, bchctybob, AHotRod and 3 others like this.
  4. I hope to see the car in action at Kil Kare...

loudbang, enloe and Thor1 like this.
  5. All cool...but they don’t need a straight axle under em to be bad ass...if your worried about room do the Crites shock tower mod...

loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  6. southcross2631

southcross2631

MeanGene427 I have a 65 Caliente one owner 86 k hardtop 289 factory a/c stored down in a barn in south Ga.
    When I get the wagon done and running . I will start on it. I haven't decided yet on which way to go with that car. I would like to build an altered wheelbase A/FX car for the SEGA with an injected FE on alky. My wife hinted that it's a really nice original car why screw it up by making it a race car.
    I would also like to find a 67 Firebird to build a SEGA super stock just to prove a point that it could be a dominate car in that class. Too many cars to build and getting too old to get to them all.

7. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Given the nice stuff you posted about what a trooper your wife is you might want to listen to her about not making a race car out of the '65. Just a thought.

8. 6sally6

6sally6

Sounds like a really cool color scheme you're thinking about! Not a Vol fan but........I do like orange . (NOT Clempson!)
    Hope the photo shop thing happens soon.
    Roller spring perches and maybe some '6-cylinder' front springs?! Orta let that front end pop UP on acceleration! 90/10 up lock shocks and you are golden....
    Can't wait!!
    6sally6

Thor1 likes this.
  9. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Not considering a straight axle- I said drop axle. Don't want the up in the air fake-gasser look, don't care what looks "bad ass" lol. I am not "worried" about shock towers, I'm just not going to have them. They are enough PITA in the later wide-bay Mustangs n such, had a 427 in my 69 Mach1 in the late 70's, twice- no more towers. The Crites kit will let it fit in the early narrow chassis, but not by much- I am quite familiar with them. Nicholson's Cammer 65 even had the shock towers cut out and reversed, putting them under the fenders- but that was 65. This going to be a race car with plates, kinda A/FX style, not a nose-high fake boulevard gasser with a Speedway kit lol

Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  10. 6sally6

6sally6

Race only a dropped axle would be fine. I like it! It may save a little weight!?!
    Street strip/weekend play-purty......not so much.
    The reason the industry went to IFS from straight front axle was better handling/ride..........much better.
    I agree about the nose high poser look! It looked fine/cool when we were in the 60's and thought it helped weight transfer. Now that we are smarter(a little)... its just plumb tacky. IMO
    6sally6

11. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

I have thought an early Nova ala Jenkins 66 would make a good one for this class

Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  12. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

ala Auggie Delgado

13. southcross2631

southcross2631

I really like the early Nova's in fact I was in the National nostalgic Nova club for years.
    I built a sweet 67 Chevy 11 2 door post from a rust free Arizona car that I bought out of a junkyard in Flagstaff, AZ. for 100 bucks. Reggie Jackson's body guard who used to carry the brief case full of cash hand cuffed to his wrist to the car shows wanted it but it was an automatic and not a 4 speed. I offered to convert it but he wanted it that day. Sold it to a guy in the army that had just gotten his re-up bonus.
    The rules in super stock are such that a big block gets a weight break 8.5 lbs. per cube over a small block 9.5 lbs. An FE gets an even bigger weight break 8.25 lbs per cube. Like you can run a 67 Camaro with a 302 and the minimum weight is 3,000 lbs. Plus 100 lbs if you run aluminum heads. Plus 100 lbs if you run traction bars. So your Camaro has to weigh 3200 lbs. You can run a 406 Ford in a 67 Mustang and weigh 3349. Plus 100 for aluminum heads. Plus 100 for traction bars.
    Remember these rules were written by a guy who runs a 65 Plymouth wagon with a 426 wedge . He doesn't worry about the 100 lb. hit for traction bars because he runs a Mopar with super stock springs and a pinion snubber. His combo is usually the number 1 qualifier and he wins about half of the races and he was the points champion.
    His only real competition so far is a 65 Comet 2 door hardtop . I figure my wagon can out 60 foot his wagon . Now if I can make enough power to stay ahead is another thing. I have been studying my rear springs and they are quite similar to the Mopar springs real short up front and long in the back.
    I am going to try something before I add any sort of traction bar. I have the o.k. to use the Crites lift bars like the Thunderbolt Fairlane because it was a factory piece. but with a 100 lb hit. I will try and use the Mopar technology with my springs by adding a short leaf in the front and clamping the springs and adding an adjustable pinion snubber. That way I can weigh 3263 with me in the car. That puts me 400 lbs. lighter than the Mopar wagon and 500 lbs lighter if he has aluminum heads.

14. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

The Mopar style setup does work, my 406 car has 7 leaves and front n rear clamps, and I built up a snubber per the old directions- IIRC they said 1/2" clearance for an auto, right up against the chassis for 4spd. If you get serious, I can set you up with some serious FE players who do Stock and Super Stock stuff, and have a fondness for the 352- one of them won the Engine Masters Challenge last year with a 400ci FE, beat out Jon Kaase's 427 Chebbie. Another one who does truck pull and road race stuff as well as drag is currently building a 352 with some pretty nice parts just to see what he can get out of it. Take a look at the size of the ports n valves in a 352 and compare to a 3fiddy Chebbie. And one of the major players has a CNC program for iron heads that would save you 100 lbs for about $400. Ever heard of Ray Paquet? In his upper 70's, and still the SS/A King in his original Thunderbolt, well down in the mid 8's, won his 29th Indy Nationals last year, still rowing a four speed. 29 times.

enloe, AHotRod and loudbang like this.
  15. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

Yeah kind of hard to beat the guy who writes the rules.
    Since you don't have to run a roll bar how quick do they normally run?

16. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Any link to a build or detailed pictures of this so called "One to beat"?

enloe, loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  17. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

After doing some ciphering I see why the weight breaks are like they are. Not much way you can get a small block Nova to the 3000 min. without adding a bunch of weight at the 8.5lbs.

18. southcross2631

southcross2631

Small blocks are run at 9.5 lbs per cube . The car to beat is called the 4 speed stampede.
    Look up the steel in motion show to see pictures.

Crosley, Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  19. southcross2631

southcross2631

Got my front suspension all out from under the car. Of course the ball joints are worn out so another expense . I don't understand some hacks that grease a car even though the upper ball joints didn't have grease fittings they just shot grease in the hole where the fitting would be and then the Ga. road dirt turned it into a layer of crud that had to be chiseled off. My wire wheel grinder could get some of it off
    not all of it.
    Now I can go in the fender wells and remove all of the under coating I already pressure washed the road dirt off so scraping the 55 year old undercoating should be fun.
    got a notice from UPS my input shaft will be here today.

20. southcross2631

southcross2631

My input shaft arrived this morning. Yeah ! It was a rainy day so it was an inside day.
    I got my engine off the stand and started indexing the scattershield to see if I need offset dowels.
    It was also time to clean up after myself after a month of fabrication.
    Primed my oil pump and the motor. got a steady 60 lbs with my drill turning the pump until I got oil to the rockers .Good sign. DSCF3678.JPG

Dog_Patch, enloe, Crosley and 5 others like this.
  21. What does that Mopar wagon run in 60' ? Anybody know?

22. southcross2631

southcross2631

I will let you know after the Ky race the 6th of June . We are going to spectate I do know he ran 7.10 in the 1/8th at Steel in Motion . The second qualifier was the 65 Comet at 7.13. Fiddle Picker went up there and watched, they post the ladder on Quain's trailer so he just went and looked.
    He is building a 67 Malibu for Super Stock.

loudbang likes this.
  23. southcross2631

southcross2631

I forgot to post a picture of the input shaft. Here's my 450.00 shaft. I hope it does what they say it will do. Now I will probably twist the out put shaft. The machining on the part is top notch and the shaft is 300 M. they said it should withstand 1000 hp.
    Hopefully the small tires will help me with less parts breakage. DSCF3675.JPG

brEad, loudbang, Thor1 and 3 others like this.
  24. Greg Rogers

Greg Rogers

Wow $450, things don't come cheap, do they? I been watching your progress- great work!

25. I'm like a kid at Christmas waiting for the race on June 6th!! Feels like I'm getting paroled :D Sucks you're not gonna be running SC, hopefully I'll run into you there;)

26. loudbang

loudbang

Crash box? Pretty big spacing on the syncro hub.

Thor1 likes this.
  27. southcross2631

southcross2631

There are no synchro's it is all Liberty crash box parts. The weak link was the input shaft it lasted 3 passes in my Morris.
    Hopefully with the little Hoosier tire that the Super Stocks have to run it will live. I had Spec build me a pressure plate with some slip built in to help it hook and not shock the tires so hard as with a sintered iron clutch setup.

28. southcross2631

southcross2631

Stupid rain . Cost me most of the day. Finally cleared up so I could put my master cylinder and line lock on and start running the brake lines. I did get my upper ball joints in and my control arms painted. Just got out the wire wheel to do the inside fenderwells when mother nature said take a break.
    Was hoping to have 5 lug conversion done today so I could try out my new front wheels.

29. loudbang

loudbang

You sound like Homer Simpson STUPID RAIN. Eating a donut always calmed him down LOL.

enloe, Thor1, jim snow and 1 other person like this.
  30. southcross2631

southcross2631

No doughnuts for me on a Keto diet and have lost 23 lbs. Probably going have to add weight to the car.
    At least I can put it where it needs to be. Not in the drivers seat.

enloe, Hang'emHigh, brEad and 3 others like this.