Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Signal light bulb

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BLUSHU, May 26, 2020.

1. Does anybody know what bulb is used in the front signal lights on a 50 ford car?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Penetrator

Penetrator
    from SK CAN

What's in it now?

3. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I’d guess the 6 volt version of the 1034 or 1157 12 volt..an 1154 come to mind if it has both the turn and parking light..

4. thekid1950

thekid1950

AS I recall.......the signal is also a parking light....a dual filament bulb
    If 12 volt...an 1157......maybe a 1154 if 6 volt

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

6. My problem is on an 1154 (my taillights) the tabs on base are staggered depth.
    The front signal/marker socket the tabs are both the same depth so an 1154 will not work.

7. Emptiness.

Flathead Dave likes this.
  8. Flathead Dave likes this.
  9. bobscogin

bobscogin

1158 has the non-staggered pins. It'll fit either way,

Flathead Dave likes this.
  10. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

If you go to autozone they will ask "what engine do you have"?

OLDSMAN, Flathead Dave and 41rodderz like this.
  11. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

:p:D

OLDSMAN likes this.
  12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

True there, That is why you check online to see if they have the bulb before you go.

13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Meaning that you don't have stock park lights in the car?

14. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

They are a stupid bunch, aren't they? These idiots who work in auto zone and the other major chain parts stores. They don't know how to look anything up.

I went to Auto Zone and asked for a simple battery by name, the Odyssey pc680. You can't be any more direct than that, and the stupid KID, asked me what motor it was for. When I told him it the Odyssey pc680, the idiot kid tried looking up a Honda Odyssey.
    More to the story but I'll cut it off here.

big duece likes this.
  15. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A twin offset pin will work with one filed off . Install it which ever has the bulbs working the way you want... bright on is the turn signal... make sure you file off the right one...

16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is because the only knowledge that is required to get a job in those places now is how to maneuver on a computer. Being able to stand on your feet for the shift you have is the other requirement. Actual automotive knowledge and knowing what a part is isn't viewed as a necessity nor is knowing that there are either or or if on certain models. Some parts houses here have the Migrant workers trained to carry their registration to the counter to order parts and that doesn't always work. I can't say how many guys walked in and asked for a part for a "Capri" and when you brought out a part for a Mercury Capri they said, "no Chevrolet Capri V8" It isn't all parts guy. and I the clowns., who say "You know, they are all the same" when you ask what year and model.

17. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Nobody asked, so I will. How many contacts in the base of the lamp socket? If original, it will be one contact in the front parking lamp as that was it's only function when built in 1950. Fords of that era did not have directional lights as standard equipment, they were add-on accessories. Hence non-staggered pins in front sockets. The rear lamps use double filament bulbs because of tail and stop dual function.

You could delete front parking light function and use a single filament bulb solely for a directional signal light.....unless.....you have to pass a vehicle inspection that requires parking lamps.

Ray

Last edited: May 27, 2020
    Moriarity likes this.
  18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I didn't even think of the add on turn signal switch on that model. If it has double element bulbs with straight across pins someone changed the contact pigtail in the socket. Did that on my 48 Chev in the mid 70's and what a pain in the butt.

Checking though this chart https://www.taillightking.com/light_bulbs.htm I'm thinking that you are looking for 1158 bulbs.

19. Or the first 4 characters of the VIN....

20. They are what came on the car & I assumed they are factory.....

21. Thank you, looks like 1158 is the one.
    I wonder how rare they are.
    Up here in the frozen north this stuff is hard to find.
    Thanks for your efforts guys.

22. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

With respect to all who have had the blank stare and "what motor does it have in it experience". There are 7 parts houses in my town, 2 Advance, 2 Autozone, 2 O'reillys and one NAPA. The NAPA has two older men and one older woman who are extremely knowledgeable and make intelligent suggestions for replacements if they don't have the correct numbered part in stock. One of the men worked at Carquest for years before it closed and was not allowed to take his counter reference books with him when he went to work for NAPA. Corporate NAPA thought it would give him an unfair advantage over the younger countermen who could only use a computer. One of the O'reillys has a younger woman manager who can spot the broken part I have in my hand when I walk through the door and tell me what it is for without looking at her computer. Another woman at one of the Advance stores can do the same thing. Most of the men at Advance, Autozone and O'reillys can't get beyond "What's it for". Computers are alright in their place but nothing can replace the best computer of all, the human brain.

Hnstray likes this.
  23. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I find the inevitable questions, whose answer often doesn’t matter, annoying too.

But in all fairness, lots has changed over the past 30 years. First and foremost, the number of makes and models of vehicles has exploded in that period. Secondly, there is decreasing number of genuine ‘old timers’ to fill the ever increasing number of parts houses opening.

Imagine putting your (knowledgable) self behind that counter for a Saturday or Sunday shift and facing the myriad requests for stuff that you have NO experience with that came in several variations depending on model details.

You (We) guys think We are so smart because we (believe) we are experts on this stuff, and may well be....on a very narrow slice of makes and models, not usually so much on that broad spectrum I mention above.

Yes, even at that, we do understand the relationship of parts in motor vehicles, and that helps a little, but that doesn’t provide the specifics needed to just go pull one off the shelf in most cases.

The people who operate the modern parts house chains operate the way they do because, whether we like it or not, it works best for them given what they have to work with. And what they have to work with is all the above coupled with a fair amount of counter person turnover and millions of dollars worth of inventory to control in an orderly fashion. Like it or not, the computer programs they use are the most effective means of putting the right part in the hands of the customer at the counter. And the majority of those customers are not building Frankenstein vehicles.

Though I firmly believe what I have written above, as much as possible I go to the one remaining parts house that employs the last guy remaining from their staff after years of attrition......the others mostly having aged out and taking the long nap.

Bitch if you want to, but it ain’t gonna bring the old days back. And, attrition is nipping at our heels too.

Ray

X-cpe, alanp561 and i.rant like this.
  24. squirrel

squirrel

Might not have them in stock at the parts store, but you can buy them from places that sell old Ford parts, or amazon, or wherever else you get parts for old cars that you can't find in town.

I expect an auto parts store could get them for you in a day or a few.

alanp561 and Hnstray like this.
  25. Penetrator

Penetrator
    from SK CAN

26. Quite possibly the best question that's been asked here so far.;)

27. Penetrator likes this.
  28. My 1950 has directional arrows for signal lights in the instrument cluster, so must have been a factory option.

squirrel likes this.
  29. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Probably doesn’t mean much but I was out with a buddy one light long time ago riding our Harley’s. We stopped for some refreshments and it was dark when leaving. His tail light was out on his old 6 volt pan head. We were heading in different directions so I put in a spare 12 volt 1157 I had in my saddle bags and it worked perfectly. Slightly dimmer on both but working none the less. The next I saw him I asked if he changed it. Nope..

Hnstray likes this.