Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My '32 5 Window Project - Done and Cruising!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LM14, Apr 14, 2018.

1. bchctybob

bchctybob

Wow! I’ve been following along from the start and you did it! Even with the health problems you pressed on and built a beautiful car, that’s wonderful. Now take every opportunity to get out and enjoy it. Be sure to post some of your driving adventures too!

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang and Nicholas Coe like this.
  2. Enjoy the cheap gas prices and the fruits of your labor.

DenverFlash and loudbang like this.
  3. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Just a quick update.

Have about 300 miles on the coupe now since it was done. Having a lot of rainy, dreary, windy days so not a lot of cruising time available. Going out whenever I can. It's a blast to drive.

Have been chasing a light, consistent, rhythmic "pop" out the right side exhaust pipe. Only at idle, never while cruising. Adjusted the valves twice (with it running, what a fun mess even when using a cover with the top cut out to help control some of the oil), adjusted the carb a few times. Ruled out bad valves. Think we've come to the conclusion it's in the timing. Going to start playing with the timing some more and also playing with the limiters in the distributor (Pertronix II). Might be a bit retarded still with initial and have too much vacuum advance. Getting closer.

The thing I find funniest is the reaction from little old ladies (I'm 62 and they are way older than me). I get more waves and thumbs ups from little old ladies than any other group of people. A couple have even approached me while I was getting gas and started to share stories of their past experiences then stopped, smiled and walked away (happened twice so far).

Having fun, wanting to get it sorted out completely then put some serious miles on it. Thanks for all the nice comments, suggestions and support during my build. It's much appreciated.

SPark

Last edited: May 26, 2020
  4. I'm sure you'll figure the little gremlins out. Watch out for those little old ladies....they remember what a real hotrodder looks like! tapatalk_1584837083783.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

brEad and loudbang like this.
  5. Hey, with the car now up and running, you're now the stud-muffin of 62 year olds. You'll have to fight them off with a stick from now on ! :D

Nicholas Coe, brEad and loudbang like this.
  6. Rand Man

Rand Man

Rod looks nice and clean. Like many of these threads, I have a lot of catching up to do.

Nicholas Coe and loudbang like this.
  7. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Update:
    Think we got everything tuned correctly now. Stuck it on an old scope a friend had and killed one cylinder at a time. Found a bad spark plug. Swapped that out. Been playing with timing, jets and squirters. Cleaned up the idle and really smoothed things out. Can now stand on it from a dead stop and it launches hard! No bog, no hesitation, pulls until you take your foot out of it. Temps stay good. Been in a couple rain showers and one big thunderstorm in the last 250 miles, keeps the bug guts moist and easy to remove.

I have plenty of air (and a bit of water) coming in around the doors and windshield. Need to find some door seals that will work. The front edges are particularly bad, you can stand outside the car and look into the interior if you know where to look. The windshield frame seal barely covers the opening in a couple spots. Considering a hollow bead of rubber behind the chrome frame to give it something better to seal against. Next project is sealing these air leaks.

Ordered a set of auger style mufflers to slip into the ends of the exhaust pipes to kill some of the harshness of the exhaust note. It's fine cruising but has a pretty harsh, raspy note when you are on it. It's kind of obnoxious, like me. These are supposed to take the harshness out of the sound and give you a deeper tone, we should know by the end of the week.

Car is a ton of fun. Really drives nice. Doesn't handle curves as well as my fat tired Mustang but it's more fun overall. Don't think I would change a thing from the way it was built. So far it's meeting expectations and exceeding the fun meter. Smiles per mile is very high.

SPark

raven, Nicholas Coe, brEad and 3 others like this.
  8. I'd check with body manufacturer regarding their suggestion for door seals.
    Just one more opinion.

Phil

loudbang likes this.
  9. alchemy

alchemy

I noticed you don't have windlace with your upholstery around the doors. That's how Henry kept the wind out. And a rubber flap on the bottom edge. Maybe there is some stick-on half-round hollow-bulb weatherstrip that could be installed in the jamb area (that hopefully wouldn't ruin your door alignment)? By the late 30's Ford started using this in addition to the windlace on the front edges of the doors. Maybe look up '40 Ford door weatherstrip on the Bob Drake website for an example. You could stick it to the door, or the body.

As far as the windshield, maybe it can be adjusted backward a bit to let the lip seal tighter? If not, some of the same type of stick-on seal could be used. The trick is finding the right size stuff. Maybe Yogi's can send you an assortment sample set?

10. There are also stick on seals available from non rod sources.

Phil

11. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Racking up some miles. Another 115 this afternoon. Nice to be driving this thing. Drove down to the paint shop this afternoon so they could see the finished product. Took them for rides. They got plenty of pictures. Got bugs on the glass and grille. That’s success!

Think the rings finally seated. Water temps are down 20 degrees from where they were a week ago. 92 outside this afternoon and I’m running right at 195-205 all the time. Sat thru a delay at a construction zone and it only went to 215. We’ll take that.

Ran across a bargain a couple days ago. Bought a 3x2 intake and air cleaner setup for almost nothing. Shopping for the correct carbs. Found them a few places, now we’re price comparing. Thought that setup would look nice on this car. Get my first Social Security check this month, might have to spend it on carbs! We’ll see.

Had a bunch of scans and tests last week. Tumors continue to shrink, some shadows they were never able to completely pin down disappeared completely. Current treatment will continue with no changes. The best we can hope for is no new growths and containing what is already there. Doc seems to feel we are doing just what is needed. Complete recovery is not really an option but containment is. We’re getting that.

SPark

8C1403B0-FE14-4B08-9DE6-5B5732B9B95C.jpeg AA973A32-68CB-4C90-A3D1-CE63DA08414C.jpeg 4FB583C0-F5FC-495A-9987-D4B3D7FF0D56.jpeg 107B038A-1B7F-45C9-8545-1E9F7BB79D08.jpeg EF945FB9-A44A-4C5A-A856-AE2CA491581F.jpeg 8FAA6022-EEBD-4D1C-B198-7BF2720E668D.jpeg C953BEB3-EF7F-45AD-B552-6C5507450EBE.jpeg F1EA75B4-0433-4EE6-876D-6305886C08C6.jpeg 054F7A72-FE74-427F-8BAE-7A728079918D.jpeg B61CF3FD-E711-4675-BC76-D2B1191D2603.jpeg

12. I’m enjoying the continuing updates. Glad to here your treatments remain effective.

loudbang likes this.
  13. alchemy

alchemy

Are you taking it to Des Moines if they have it? Or do the Docs say no way?

14. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

We plan to be there.
    SPark

15. Cgrgrspt10

Cgrgrspt10
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Love the car, appreciate all your lessons, and the responses to questions.
    Following your lead, its sanding, sanding, and more sanding till its right.
    Great diagnosis, but you should continue your therapy of sanding, sanding and more sanding.

16. Soft Seal has an assortment of self stick stuff that solves many problems. I'm glad your treatments have been working. :)

loudbang likes this.
  17. loudbang

loudbang

Good news on the latest check up. :)

brady1929 likes this.
  18. Glad to hear that you and your beautiful car are getting good check ups!

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  19. Thanks for the news! If you can't have recovery, then containment is awesome.
    I guess they're never done. Just when I thought your car was complete, you're planning an intake swap.

Nicholas Coe and loudbang like this.
  20. DenverFlash

DenverFlash

07C08AE5-2A1F-4006-85C4-EC8CABDB3462.jpeg
    Drove 1900 miles and picked up my NAM 5-window on Monday. Looks great - Ed & Chris did a beautiful job! Guess I’d better start my own thread now.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
    shortypu, figure8, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  21. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Great news DenverFlash!! Think you’ll like working with their product. You probably didn’t drive far from my house. Should have stopped in for a ride.
    SPark.

DenverFlash and loudbang like this.
  22. DenverFlash

DenverFlash

I mostly missed Iowa - took I-90 thru Minnesota, picked up my brother-in-law to share driving time. Maybe I'll make it to Des Moines Goodguys next year; would love to meet up with you. If you ever get to Colorado be sure to stop by. Now the fun begins!
    - Fred
    IMG_2791.JPG IMG_2806.JPG

Last edited: Jun 19, 2020
  23. killbilly

killbilly

Great news Steve.....hope to see you guys there....

loudbang likes this.
  24. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Our kids came down for Father's Day and everyone took a ride.

Notice the back hub caps are on it. We spent some time at a friend's shop the other night adjusting the brake pedal push rod length and one final bleed and I have good brakes now.

Going to try a different carb this week. The one on it is either bogging, lean or rich. One jet size makes a huge difference on it and the pump squirter changes don't really seem to help with an off idle dead spot. Been up and down several sizes with no real changes. It gets better then it goes the other way with a tiny change. Timing doesn't change it either. We get it close but not right. Hoping the new carb will work better. Going to pull the Holley 600 aluminum body and go to a Quick Fuels 450 for a try. It's a basically stock roller 5.0 that won't be raced so I think the little carb is worth a try.

On a rough road I get a big "clunk" in the front end over every bump. Put a zip tie around the shaft of each front shock and that shows they are bottoming out. A little shopping and found a set just a bit shorter. Should have a new set of Bilsteins here Tuesday to fix that issue.

Saw the doctor Thursday, he's happy still. got a treatment. Staying on the 3 week rotation, seems to be doing what it's supposed to.

Got my first Social Security check last week! Told the wife I am now working 2 jobs. My pension since 2013 and now SS. Hours are killer but it's great toy money. Told her I planned to spend every dime on toys, haven't yet but it's nice to know it's there if a deal comes along. Selling the low miles Mustang GT to get back into another tri 5 Chevy 2 door sedan. Need the old stuff more than the comfort of the new stuff.

Wife took a few pics today. Daughter got a rare one of me even! Plans right now are to continue sorting it out, finding a rattle and keep putting miles on it. Having fun. Looking forward to going to Good Guys over the weekend of the 4th. Hope to see you there!

SPark

Fathers Day 2020.jpg Fathers Day 2020-2.jpg Fathers Day 2020-3.jpg Fathers Day 2020-4.jpg

shortypu, 32SEDAN, figure8 and 10 others like this.
  25. Good to see the rear caps installed. Now it looks finished.
    Glad you are doing well.

Phil

loudbang likes this.
  26. alchemy

alchemy

See you in DSM!

loudbang and roadsterdonpat32 like this.
  27. nor6304

nor6304
    from Indiana

Car looks really good Keep going

28. loudbang

loudbang

Great news on the checkup. :)

Now you have the perfect excuse to put the Tri Power setup on it. :rolleyes:

29. loudbang likes this.
  30. raven

raven

Glad to see you enjoying the coupe. Glad to hear you’re doing well physically too!
    r

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

loudbang likes this.