Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Help identify these points and condenser

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 28 Ford PU, May 26, 2020.

1. 28 Ford PU

28 Ford PU
    from Upstate NY

I see a lot of Hambers looking for older sets of points. I have a bunch of these NOS sets that I got from a auto parts supply that closed 20 years ago. It was called The Battery Mart in Troy,NY.

Most are still in boxes and they look like GM sets to me but I’m not a Chevy guy. I’ll sell them cheap thinking $7.00 a set shipping included for one set and $6 if more is needed.

Most of the ones I have show a part number of either CP-2 or CP-89.

I don’t want to send them out not knowing exactly what they are.

Thanks guys.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

One looks like a six cylinder and the other a V 8. But theses were the points and condenser combined, like the Chevy set. ....... I think?

Bones

3. 28 Ford PU

28 Ford PU
    from Upstate NY

I’m thinking along the same lines but not sure.

ThankS

Boneyard51 likes this.
  4. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Me neither! Just a WAG! Lol .... But, when Chevy, or whoever, made those unit points, they were great and everybody was talking about them! Because the Chevy points and condenser were hard to change with the distributor in the back of the engine. So I guess Ford tried it. But Ford points and condenser were easy to change, being in front of the engine, so I guess they didn’t go over so good!

Bones

5. Looking at boxes, it appears they are knock offs from overseas trying to look like a known USA brand. Clues are no brand name, just "Automotive" "Replaces", "Printed in U.S.A." and the graphics. Might be of low quality, I don't think I would use them on my car.

6. Ha! your right, I had to go back and look "Automotive" Ha! I thought it was Autolite.

7. ...........Good catch! I missed that first time around as well. I guess you see what you want to see.:)

Boneyard51 and 46international like this.
  8. They plan it that way

Boneyard51 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  9. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Got me,too! I hate when those jerks do that! I guess I’m just too naive!

Bones

10. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't know what they fit but the GM "window" Distributors had slots so you never removed the holding screws.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  11. 28 Ford PU

28 Ford PU
    from Upstate NY

I should of mentioned. The condenser end is stamped “Heavy MYLAR Duty USA”.

Mylar is a polyester that DuPont manufactured.

I also have a set of points with a very similar part number CP-1 form SES Box is also marked Springfield Electrical Specialties, Inc. Totowa, NJ.

I don’t believe they are cheap knockoff as you stated and you don’t have to use them.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

12. squirrel

squirrel

They're knockoffs, they might not be cheap, but the packaging imitates name brand parts.

If you could find an old SES catalog, you could probably figure out what the part numbers mean.

The "straight" point set looks like it fits lots of Fords, perhaps you could study pictures of points for different Ford vehicles and see what they match most closely. rockauto.com is a great place to look up parts by application, and then look at pictures of the parts.

The integral condenser is a bonus feature, I think. The GM unipoints for 57-74 V8 Delco distributors mentioned above also have a screw to adjust the gap.

Hnstray and olscrounger like this.
  13. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hard to identify. I just got a box of many electrical parts(50-60) marked Filko-there are also 30-40 sets of timken bearings-again no clue what they fit.-have no clue what they fit either. May go in trash or give back to guy who brought em here.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  14. Hombre

Hombre

They may or may not be knock off's, but at least the BOX was printed in the US.

15. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Bearings, sometimes, have common numbers on different brands. Might get the numbers of your bearings and compare to wheel bearing numbers for various cars. Some car part apps give bearing numbers.

Bones

16. squirrel

squirrel

some web pages you can type in a part number, and then find the "applications" for it. I entered a part number, then on the list of part numbers, I clicked on one of the numbers, and the applications list popped up.

apps.jpg

olscrounger and lothiandon1940 like this.
  17. In my experience, the 'better' points used Bakelite rubbing blocks. The cheapies used nylon....

squirrel and olscrounger like this.
  18. Back in the mid 70s I worked at a repair shop that my boss took over. He bought all the stock as well and those boxes are very familiar looking. There were also boxes that kind of looked like AC Delco as well as mopar. They were knock off parts in the boxes but they didn't give trouble; we used them all and never had any complaints of short service life.

They seemed to be reasonably decent parts but the company marketing them was using look alike logos to sell the parts. :eek:

19. Budget36

Budget36

Hmnn, 40+ YO USA knock offs, or brand new Chinese...I know which way I'd go if I could use them.

28 Ford PU, MO54Frank and Hombre like this.
  20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've never seen that particular brand but the originally may have been sold though discount stores that were pretty much pre Walmart (think Gibsons in Texas or Value Mart) or though discount parts houses. Those stores may have carried a name brand an this "second line" for the guys who didn't want to pay for the name brand just as O'Reilly's carries some second and maybe third brand items today.
    When I was doing front end and brake work at the Firestone store in down town Waco in the 70's we would run 12.98 for one axle brake jobs. Very simply a take the old shoes off and put new shoes on, Pack the front bearings, adjust the brakes and kick it out the door. We would get the bonded shoes from a discount parts house a few blocks away that honesty had brake shoes in bins by popular numbers. 2 bucks a pair of shoes. We gave a 10K mile guarantee and they were pretty well worn out by 10K but they were quiet and around town in old granny cars stopped quite well and always stopped straight. They just didn't last long.
    OBTW that G 2 set is backwards as far as GM goes, they are not GM V8. I don't remember installing anything except GM V8 Uni points and have never seen any others. GM V8 contact set.jpg