Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Heated seats in t-bucket?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gearhead Graphics, May 15, 2020.

1. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I attached a bracket to the seat frame down low in the front and then made an aluminum panel to hold the switches and a power port. Mimicking the seat controls on this wise guy frame. You have look for them to find them once it was upholstered. Used them a couple of times, glad I installed them.
    upload_2020-5-23_12-2-44.png

2. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Go ahead with the heated seats. You have to be comfortable, traditional or not.

3. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Who gives a shit if it's traditional or not? Can't someone be comfortable with out some one whining?

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is one of those it won't show and unless you point it out who the hell is going to know personal comfort things. It may not be "traditional" but it does mean that one may be able to drive the car more comfortably and take it out a bit more in chilly weather or even be more comfortable during a road trip that crosses mountain passes. I've left here for a show in the Seattle area this time of year and the temp here was 75+ and the temp in Seattle was 75+ and the temp on top of the pass was around 30 once the sun started going down on the way back in the late afternoon.
    Hell I didn't know that our current daily had heated seats until my daughter was riding in the car and spotted the switches for the seats hiding among all the other stuff in the middle of the dash. If you don't point them out to people no one knows anyhow.

5. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

As a long time Colorado 4x4 driver, I’ve had heated seats in all of my CJ’s and Wranglers.

6. My only suggestion would be to use a relay to supply initial power rather than connecting through your ignition switch; use the switch to operate the relay. Most switches are only rated to a 30 amp max, some are less, do the needed de-rate and you're down to 24 amps. These will eat up at least half of the switch capacity, it may save a burned-out switch later.

Gearhead Graphics likes this.
  7. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

Heated seats come in handy for old farts with bladder control problems. Your pants are dry by the time you get to your destination. :rolleyes:

GordonC, 5window and Flathead Dave like this.
  8. LOLOL!!!

Flathead Dave likes this.
  9. Put them in the coupster, got them from Mac's. Much nicer in early and late rides. Got a hot water heater in it too from a late 30"s International pick-up. All goes to keep me comfy.

Flathead Dave likes this.
  10. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Yeah @Crazy Steve I did learn on another set to use a heavy duty relay. Was worried about draw from my tiny battery mostly. But now quite confident with it all.

11. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My Deuce highboy roadster has a single wire, 140 amp alternator that easily handles traditional Vintage Air ac/heat, traditional Sirius radio, traditional heated seats, and a huge traditional electric cooling fan, with ease. Expect to catch some cute remarks with those heated seats in an open car ! LOL.

Algoma56 and Gearhead Graphics like this.
  12. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

@Gary Addcox The only ones who know will be be, my upholstery guy and my passenger if I'm nice to her. Switches will be hidden away. Making a hidden box for all, key, lights, dimmer, power port, etc. i hate things being visible.

Algoma56 likes this.
  13. garth slater

garth slater
    from Melbourne

I've installed many many sets of seat heaters.

The ones I fit don't draw much power, I just find a acccesory wire and splice in a 15 amp fuse and power. They are simple and effective and great for people with back problems