Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1957 2 door 150 handyman

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lloyd's paint & glass, Nov 17, 2019.

1. Gratuitous small block Chevy picture :D Getting a light haze of blue smoke from the left side o_O plugs were oily when i changed them, and the new plugs have oil on them. Supposed new rebuild, but i didn't do it so I'm going on what I was told. It doesn't idle just perfect, and you can feel a little stumble when you come off idle. Hold it at 1500 rpm and it has a little shake, not bad, but it's there, and it'll miss, you can hear it on the left side exhaust. What's the chance it's the intake gasket? 20200523_145608.jpg

hotrodjack33 and loudbang like this.
  2. Decided to pull the intake, grabbed some tools, immediately found that i could take the intake bolts out with my fingers. It's probably sucked and intake gasket, but i tightened all of the intake bolts down, and it seems to be getting a lot better on the blue haze :D thought I'd throw that out there

scotty t and loudbang like this.
  3. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

You may find some water in the oil if your intake leak was bad enough, we found this out the hard way on another "pre-assembled" motor.

4. I noticed a slight amount of milkshake look to the oil, but i passed it off as condensation from starting the engine for short periods of time and not really letting it get up to operating temperature. But now I'm thinking differently lol. I'm gonna go ahead and pull it off, just didn't have time to mess with it today.

scotty t, loudbang and s55mercury66 like this.
  5. Do a pressure test at the Rad. If you have a manifold leak it won't hold 12 lbs.

loudbang likes this.
  6. Brother I've got some of the finest body tools money can buy! Even got a ring squeezer, a couple of hones, and a torque wrench! But i ain't got me no coolant leak down setup :( wish i did! But now would have been a good time to own one lol:D

Squablow, scotty t and loudbang like this.
  7. How about a Pep Boys or an Orileys close by, they will loan one with a refundable deposit.

loudbang likes this.
  8. O'Reilly's is in the next town, i might check on that ;) still ain't running "right" or to my satisfaction. Not really sure what it is, but thinking with the smoke from the exhaust, it could be the intake. But then again it could be that the rings haven't seated. Probably needs a little road time more than anything...

loudbang likes this.
  9. I wouldn't drive it to much if your making a Milk Shake in the pan. Good luck sorting things out.

loudbang likes this.
  10. JUSTIN PERSINGER

JUSTIN PERSINGER

Blue smoke is an oil burn, white smoke is a coolant burn. If it a supposed fresh rebuild they may not have clocked the piston rings correctly.
    Your stutter is probably fouled plugs.

Sent from my XP8800 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  11. I swore i had a picture that you could see the oil in a rocker, nothing bad, not like the level has risen lol.

scotty t and loudbang like this.
  12. Yep, if it sucked an intake gasket and it's pulling oil out of the lifter valley, that explains my light haze of blue. Not really thinking "too" negative yet, but if need be I'll jerk it out and redo it! Then drive to Indiana and kiss the guy that built it right on the lips :rolleyes:. I've got the receipt from him

Last edited: May 24, 2020
  13. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Free “rental” at AutoZone. Get both kits. The main one has a crap load of adapters for new cars. The expansion kit has the adapters for old school cars.

If you’ll use it a lot, Harbor Freight sells one. A friend has it and reports it being decent quality.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm sure glad I didn't have anything to do with that engine build :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

15. :D
    Woh! hold on there, we don’t let just anybody in Indiana without good cause. Kissing a man does NOT qualify:D

16. hotrod1948

hotrod1948
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Milton, WI

I thought that’s where “Hoosier your daddy” came from.

17. Oh I'll come give you some man love big boy :D I don't think there's a serious issue, hell for all i know the damn rings ain't seated. But it's easy to pull the intake and check it. Just one of them things. ;)

loudbang, hotrodjack33 and scotty t like this.
  18. I wish i did Jack!! At least I'd know more about it and could only blame myself ;)

loudbang, hotrodjack33 and scotty t like this.
  19. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Me thinks that Lloyds version of"Kiss on the lips"might be administered with a 5lb single jack:rolleyes:.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

20. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I certainly HOPE you're right...I was starting to wonder about him. Besides, he's NOT that cute:eek:

21. Squablow

Squablow

This is looking very respectable!

It's been fun following along. I've got a '57 at about the same stage, have to finish rebuilding the front seat and then make some exhaust like what you did.

22. Hey now!! My granny said I was the prettiest :D

23. Thank ya sir ;) I got the exhaust kit from speedway for $215. Paid something like $38 for the down pipes from egay, and about $20 worth of clamps and hangers. I like the way it sounds. Just picking a panel every day or so and straightening it out. Ain't made my mind up on any colors yet.

24. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey buddy, I'm thinkin' you're going blue & white...otherwise your T-shirts won't match :eek::D:eek::D
    [​IMG]

loudbang likes this.
  25. When i was a teenager, there was a book in the library at school that i probably checked out a hundred times called "how to do bodywork", it was a Peterson publication. There was a picture in there where the guy put some guide coat on the door of a roadster i think it was, and ran a long board over the door. In the caption it read "so you think that car is ready for black lacquer?' So 35 or more years later, i still remember that when i see something like this lmao! :rolleyes: Screenshot_20200526-164028_Gallery.jpg

26. Lol that's what momma said :rolleyes: But we'll get around that :D

27. Everybody in HAMB land cross your fingers, I'm gonna jerk this intake and hopefully find a gasket issue and some oil in the runners!

28. RMONTY

RMONTY

What T-shirts? I aint seen no steeenkin T-shirts!

loudbang and hotrodjack33 like this.
  29. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You didn't get yours ? I recall Lloyd saying that EVERYONE on the HAMB gets a free T-shirt...and being a man of his word...