Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods TURN SIGNAL NOT WORKING 62 CADILLAC DRIVER'S SIDE

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by joseangel_1976, May 25, 2020.

1. joseangel_1976

joseangel_1976

hi guys i'm back. lol!! thought i'd pick you all's brain. i've had this issue for a long time and determined to fix this week. my turn signal is not working on my 62 cadillac the driver's side fog light. well it looks like a fog light but people tell me it's a turn signal.

2. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Try banging on it.

If that doesn't work, check the bulb.

3. Check the ground. (If the bulb is good, then check the circuit to make sure it’s getting 16volts with a multi tester)

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. joseangel_1976

joseangel_1976

5. squirrel

squirrel

this light, with the red circle around it?

62 cad.jpg

or do you have fog lights added to your car? The light in the red circle is the turn signal and park light. Not a fog light.

Connect a piece of wire from the outside of the bulb, to a the bumper. This will be a temporary ground, so you can test the light. If the light works now, then the problem is that the ground connection for the bulb is not working. The ground comes from all those metal pieces making electrical contact, from the car body to the light bulb outer sleeve, that means no rust, no paint, etc between the parts.

This stuff is hard to explain....we tried explaining it to you earlier, but I guess you didn't understand.

bobss396 and joseangel_1976 like this.
  6. the earlier Cadillacs had an option for a fog light in the bumper like that, that is probably what they are confused about.

7. squirrel

squirrel

Does your light look like this?

fog.jpg

joseangel_1976 likes this.
  8. joseangel_1976

joseangel_1976

Hi yes u are correct its the one listed on your red circle exactly that one. That lamp has two connectors. I was thinking of ground the negative side of the connector to the bumper like u said then plugging that little connector (square) that has 2 female connections back to the 2 male connectors to see if it works. Just trying to figure out where exactly to put that ground

9. squirrel

squirrel

Since you are not showing us pictures of what you're doing, it's hard for us to see what it looks like. Most of us haven't worked on a 62 cadillac lately, but do know how to troubleshoot this problem on most cars. But they're all different, and what to do, depends on what the parts are. There should be a socket that holds the bulb, and it might has a square plastic connector somewhere to connect the two wires from the light socket, to the main harness.

One of the two wires is for the park light filament, the other one is for the turn signal filament. The bulb has two filaments, the park light is dim, the turn signal is bright. The ground is the light bulb housing. So when you are testing things, you need to provide a good ground connection (such as an extra wire, with one end held to the bumper, the other to the light bulb. If it lights properly when you add a ground to the bulb, that means that the bulb is not getting ground from the socket. Usually it's because somewhere where the socket is mounted, or the light is mounted, there is rust between two metal parts. finding the actual cause of the problem, can be difficult. Today I was working on an old Ford, the headlight worked some times, not other times. When I loosened then tightened the mounting bolt, it would go off and on. That's the kind of thing you need to look for.