Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 53 customline

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Ferdyeight, Mar 2, 2020.

1. I looked at that interior, the back seat doesnt seem to fit right. I got the finned valve covers and air cleaner, and I think an early falcon center console would tie the interior together along with the t bird buckets and I may just leave the rear seat.

JeffB2 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. Well: got the ol girl home, rebuilt the front brakes and got new rear shoes and wheel cylinders in. Got the cooling system tore apart for a new water pump, thermostat, belts and hoses. Looking into new rear springs and one of my family members said he might have a mustang or Grenada rear end for me.. next step is replacing the transmission and shifter, getting new tires, and then looking at bodywork, hood hinges, and paint. I just picked up a set of 15" Lyons hubcaps for it too. Tryin to clean the ol girl up and hopefully be able to participate in show season. IMG_20200521_192516_814.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G975U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. SICBOY

SICBOY

Ferdyeight and loudbang like this.
  4. Got the rear brakes replaced and re did the front accessories on the motor with a new water pump, hoses, thermostat and all that. She runs at a cool 180 degrees now. Next I picked up some 64 thunderbird bucket seats from Craigslist to go in. Just need a 60s falcon center console, but the interior should be a LOT better. I also bought a set of 15" lyons hubcaps for the car (they don't fit) and the rubbers for the fender skirts (they sent me merc instead of ford) and a factory style rear view mirror (with no brackets or hardware)... so im moving forward. Two steps forward and one step back at the moment. 20200531_161732.jpeg 20200531_161856.jpeg 20200531_161943.jpeg

chryslerfan55, 54delray and loudbang like this.
  5. I forgot to mention in that last post im contemplating going to power brakes, or at least putting in a new master cylinder. Anyone know what my master is out of or a direct bolt in? I'm thinking 60s mustang or something would be close. I'm disc front/drum rear.

chryslerfan55, 54delray and loudbang like this.
  6. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

The 1952-54 Fords use the same brake shoes as 1967-71 V8 Mustangs you can use this combo for drum/drum or disc/drum https://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-1970-...ustang&hash=item59128e525c:g:lcwAAOSweatemeJK The master shown in your picture is a GM master used in the 70's a lot of folks called it the "Corvette" master I guess to sound cooler.

7. Congratulations on reuniting with your car, don't let it get away again. HRP

8. hotrodzmartin

hotrodzmartin

Very cool ride....always liked these!

9. Very cool driver!

10. Later Ford masters have the same spacing as the old ones, 3.20" or 3.25". Mine in the '59 is a Fairlane/Mustang disc drum unit.

loudbang likes this.
  11. Got these t bird seats finally mounted in, and got a lot of the rust scrubbed off the floor boards. Still have to pull the door panels and rear panels out, and coat the floors and insulate everything. Also have to fab up a new driveshaft tunnel. IMG_20200724_093926_236.jpeg IMG_20200724_141155_472.jpeg

54delray, loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  12. Anybody know what this switch does on the floorboard? Windshield washer or something? 20200724_143414.jpeg

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  13. Okie_greaser

Okie_greaser

Sweet ride dude. I’ll be looking for a 52 or 53 after I finish my truck. Definitely my favorite Ford cars.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  14. Mhaar1297

Mhaar1297

Starter?

Thank you, Mike
    Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

loudbang likes this.
  15. That kinda makes sense. I cant see what's on the back side of it..

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  16. evintho

evintho

Foot pump for windshield washer, I think. I'm out of town right now and can't look at mine.

17. Thats kinda what I was thinking. But I wasn't sure.

JeffB2, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  18. No, I don't think it's a washer; the washer foot pump was mounted inside the car, and were all mechanical and pretty obvious as to what it was. I suspect that was installed by a PO, you'll have to figure out why...

chryslerfan55 and Ferdyeight like this.
  19. goldmountain

goldmountain

Ferdyeight likes this.
  20. black55merc

black55merc

That is gorgeous- I love the stance/wheel/tire combo!

21. Thank you! It's a lot rougher than it looks in the pics, but it's a daily driver. Any lower and I wouldn't be able to back out of the driveway.

22. First try with upholstery work.. separated the rotten backer boards from the rear panels, and got it glued on with heavy duty adhesive! I gotta locate an ashtray and trim out the holes for the arm rest and the window crank. IMG_20200806_193708_250.jpeg

23. Also: spent a couple weeks looking for tail light lenses like this, as it turns out they're caddy lenses glued over the center bullet of the originals. Sometimes I amaze myself with how I overlook the simple solutions. Only markings on em are fomoco and theyre almost seamless. Gonna build a new set since these are wore out. 20200806_194039.jpeg

24. Zax

Zax
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1952-59 Ford Social Group

Nice! So the diamond tuck material was already there and you just replaced the backboard?

25. Yup! The door panels and rear kick panels are that material. So I just bought reproduction back boards and high strength adhesive to put it all together!

JeffB2, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  26. Zax

Zax
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1952-59 Ford Social Group

Cool, I hear you can buy that diamond tuck material by the yard now. Might go that route on my '53

My '40 Ford has a vintage black diamond tuck interior that is in pretty good shape. I love the look. I will probably have to redo the back boards for it at some point.

My '53 has rough rear factory door panels and missing front door panels and kick panels. Still deciding what i'm going to do. Where did you find the reproduction back boards?

27. I found em on Ebay..

28. Momentous occasion. Today was the first time I drove my own car to a car occasion. For the first time I wasn't in someone else's car, didn't have to walk through into a cruise or show to look at everyone else's stuff... got to take my own ride in. Small cruise at a local dairy queen, and I had the most hammered dog shit car there. But it got a ton of looks and smiles and people actually knew what it was for once! And with the pretty blonde In the passenger seat, I was "shitting in tall cotton" as my dad would say. Pink mustang lady might have preferred I park somewhere that the rust didn't blow on her car in the wind... but overall success! We even took a victory lap around town. Local car club even took notice and i got some compliments on the car.. its a good feeling for me. IMG_20200828_183928_880.jpeg 20200828_175440.jpeg 20200828_183614.jpeg

29. Second post: I tracked down the guy who put the car together in 04 in burbank and had a good phone conversation with him.. i cold called the phone number from the engine building reciepts just trying to find the history of the car. from what I understand, my car was one of the first customer cars at Hollywood hot rods (reciepts for shaved door handles and trim holes) and we pieced together some of the missing pieces of the history of the car. Its still essentially as he put it together in 04 (tires are still from 04, need to get new ones) but the gentleman who built it was VERY nice and hopefully is going to send me the build pics of the car from the first go around. If I get em, I'll update with more!

54delray, brEad, JeffB2 and 2 others like this.