Register now to get rid of these ads!

Happy Memorial Day

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, May 25, 2020.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

Happy Memorial Day

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

pwschuh, Deuces, J_J2 and 22 others like this.
  2. 1.1 million service men & women have paid the ultimate price to ensure the freedoms we enjoy. HRP

Lil32, silverdome, J_J2 and 15 others like this.
  3. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

Only old timers remember that this day used to be Decoration Day, on which you went to the cemetery and decorated graves of fallen veterans. Then it became Memorial Day on May 30th each year. Next it became a movable date to ensure a three day weekend for a lot of puposes, none having anything to do with fallen heroes. Like HRP said, a lot of great men and women gave all to ensure our freedom. God rest their souls!
    J.T. Linville MM1(SS)

4. Bigmac48

Bigmac48
    from Dundalk Md

What's more traditional -American tradition then honoring the brave men and women who fought for our freedom .So today I would like to honor , thank my fellow Vets for there sacrifice and service to our country . for all who gave all for our freedom ,we thank you . God bless America , Home of the free because of the willing .D.M.M. 9th div. 3rd 47th mobile riverine

Last edited: May 25, 2020

5. OLSKOOL57

OLSKOOL57

You are so right, Danny. “ Lest We Forget “. Lloyd, the same for your father.

6. Harms Way

Harms Way

They're not just names on a tin tag. Each one had a heartbeat, a smile, a tear, a laugh, somebody they loved and loved them back, a history, a story, a sense of duty,.... And my unwavering gratitude.

[​IMG]

Chavezk21, Lil32, Blade58 and 16 others like this.
  7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Each memorial day when I go to the cemetery to place flowers on my son's grave, the graves of my grandparents Uncle and cousin and my stepfather I also place flowers on the graves of one of the "older guys" from school who was a senior when I was a sophomore who lost his life in Nam when his helicopter was shot down.
    It is a tradition here in Central Washington that you place flowers on the graves of family, friends and those who were special to you on Memorial day.

Hot Rod Nut, Lil32, Pats55 and 19 others like this.
  8. OLSKOOL57

OLSKOOL57

“C” Battery 1/11 Artillery 9th Infantry Division
    Dong Tam Base Camp
    Mekong Delta

Lil32, 47ragtop, catdad49 and 7 others like this.
  9. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Americans Died.
    Republicans, Democrats, Independants all died.

This post is to honor and appreciate all those men, women who gave their lives in the military resulting in death, and their families who lost love ones.

No politics is allowed nor necessary.

That’s it.

silverdome, Tman, Tim and 20 others like this.
  10. Right you are my friend, and they represent a wide segment of nationality's & ethnicity's that were Americans.

I, like many others here have lost family members who served and paid the price, memorializing these fallen Hero's is necessary, we should never forget their sacrifice. HRP

11. Happy Memorial Day to all of those guys that have served our country and secured my rights to cruise these streets in some sweet ass rides :D Screenshot_20200525-134143_Gallery.jpg

12. Harms Way

Harms Way

Wonderful comments,... But if I can humbly ask,

Please know the difference......

[​IMG]

Hot Rod Nut, seabeecmc, Tman and 16 others like this.

13. Flying Fortress by Ed Tillrock.jpg
    FLYING FORTRESS
    by Ed @ewt2 Tillrock

NOTE: “Flying Fortress” was inspired by a conversation that Ed had with Alex Xydias. Alex was a Flight Mechanic & Turret Gunner on B-17’s in California near the end of the war.

Lil32, i.rant, LBCD and 11 others like this.
  14. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Never forget those who came before us and pray for those who will follow after us.

Pat Co. D, 2nd., 8th. Cav. Vietnam 69

15. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Veterans Day: The 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month.

16. Memorial Day.JPG

Blade58, catdad49, Stogy and 4 others like this.
  17. OLSKOOL57

OLSKOOL57

You are totally correct by your statement. Memorial Day - For Those That Died
    Veterans Day - For Those That Served
    I think that on either day, we as Americans, tend to think of Those Who Died and Those That Served As One.

18. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Couple things I noticed over the years.

"Happy Memorial Day", now there isn't anything really wrong with that, the intentions are of course good, but it sure sounds awkward. I haven't heard any alternatives that aren't a little wordy. I suppose at the end of the day we should be "happy", as the saying goes, not that such men died, but that such men lived.

It also seems in recent years somebody always wants to appropriate a special day, that was specifically and exclusively set aside every year to honor Americans killed in battle, and somehow use it to honor "first responders" or truck drivers, or life coaches or whatever. etc. Those are all noble pursuits I'm sure, and deserve recognition but they have absolutely nothing to do with Memorial Day. Just quit it.

seabeecmc, Saxman, catdad49 and 9 others like this.
  19. RIP, all that have made the ultimate sacrifice. Two air force jets just did a low fly over our house. Gave me and my bride goosebumps while we were sitting on the front porch. God Bless the USA.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

Lil32, silverdome, catdad49 and 7 others like this.
  20. The37Kid

The37Kid

God Bless Them All.

Lil32, catdad49, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  21. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My memorial daily. 1951--1955 MY KOREAN WAR MEMORIAL PIX 001.jpg MY KOREAN WAR MEMORIAL PIX 002.jpg

Lil32, silverdome, Deuces and 10 others like this.
  22. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

May the wings of freedom never loose a feather. Lest we never forget, to remember, those that served our country and died.
    eagle-2 (3).jpg DSC_2596 (3).JPG

Lil32, Texas57, silverdome and 12 others like this.
  23. hemihotrod66

hemihotrod66

And Armed Forces Day honors the ones on active duty now...

i.rant, 47ragtop, catdad49 and 3 others like this.
  24. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

0_20171031_123755.jpg

Up here we say Lest We Forget...As Allies I extend my thoughts to those your way as well to those who have made the sacrifices and many times gave their lives for the Freedom we enjoy today extending right to the Hamb.

You are in my thoughts...today and every day...

Regards,
    Stogy

Saxman, catdad49, OLSKOOL57 and 3 others like this.
  25. Not staff cars, but here's some other "hot rodded" WWII vehicles:

Here's Wally Parks and his modified 1941 Ford GP V8 jeep (most probably re captured from the Japanese) nicknamed 'sigue na' meaning 'gotta go.' Wally built this "hot rod" in 1945 while on tour in the Philippines using a Ford V8-60 out of a surrendered Japanese truck. In a letter he wrote home he said, "Things are going fine and my little V-jeep is really a peach. It really goes, and I claim to have the hottest thing on the island.":

Wally Parks Hot Rodded Jeep.jpg

The "Iwo Jima Hot Rod":

WWII Iwo Jima Hot Rod.jpg

This belly tank car was built by some "hot rodders" stationed at the 15 USAAF 94 Fighter Squadron base in Foggia, Italy. Note that @rustynutz's father was the Master Sargent of the Air Maintenance Platoon that built this car from salvaged P-38 parts to run around the base:

P-38L drop tank Hot Rod.jpg
    early 1944 photo from the USAAF archives, colorized by Rui Candeia

26. rusty valley

rusty valley

wally parks with a v8 jeep!! who wudda thunk! wonder which general's staff car is missing its beauty rings!

27. cfmvw

cfmvw

My great uncle Conrad Bryant served in the Navy during WWII, and survived three ships being sunk. My grandfather's best friend Lloyd Rainier was in the Battle of the Bulge under Patton and lost his toes to frostbite. And a friend of our family, Roy Morris, worked on the Manhattan Project.

28. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

You folks all said it so well so let me share that I live near a cemetery and this morning, an honor guard came by at the same time I arrived home from an errand to my son’s home. They played taps and I stopped and put my hat over my heart and tears came to my eyes with the thought of all those who gave their all so we could have our freedom. I was never in the military but many of my cousins and uncles were. Not all of them made it back home.

silverdome, Stogy and OLSKOOL57 like this.
  29. OLSKOOL57

OLSKOOL57

Your reverence and respect speaks volumes about you, Sir.

30. Each one
    A life lost
    A life not fully lived
    Hopes and dreams sacrificed for ours.
    Loved ones left, no longer whole.

A humble thank you.