Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 33 Doll Build Page

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 33Doll, Mar 20, 2020.

1. 33Doll

33Doll

No, that’s actually a 34’ with a 33’ Grille it was my Pops High school Rig, which I got in 2006’ but sold it to buy a classic Bronco..... Which was a sore subject...
    So I was Threatened not to sell the 33’ or I’m dis-owned as a son. This 33’ Doll is special to me though, I grew up with it.
    Heres
    The 34’
    Adjustments.JPG

Last edited: May 17, 2020
    chryslerfan55 and brEad like this.
  2. 33Doll

33Doll

Few More of the 34’( with 33 grille)
    Camping, Mom's BD, Roses, Hiking 08 158.jpg emmaus 018.jpg Adjustments.JPG C64E3E0E-FF90-4DBD-BD02-4F51FE8F32F5.jpeg

It was to much for me at the time.
    Frame was bent, and Someone replaced the rocker with the body upside down and got the door all out of alignment and it wouldn’t shut so I got frustrated and sold it, and bought a 1971 small body classic Bronco. So my dad didn’t talk to me for a few years after that.
    It’s all good now. I tried to tell him that I didn’t grow up with that car, that was his high school car, and memories.
    the 33 Doll is the car I grew up with.
    He finally gets it now.

Well!.....that’s enough for today’s history lesson folks!

3. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

And now the bronco is worth as much as a 33 ford.

loudbang, brEad and 33Doll like this.
  4. 33Doll

33Doll

I know! More in some cases!
    Thats my problem though my dad collects lots of cars and keeps
    Them, me I collect one or 2, get bored sell it and buy another one!!!
    And the cycle continues! Not anymore more though this one is a keeper....
    at least until Pops Croaks! Just Kidding!

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  5. By chance do you have any pics of the radiator to grill mounting arrangements on that 33 and specifically the tabs? Are they original?

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  6. rusty valley

rusty valley

my goodness you have led a pampered life, two model 40's from in the family. it takes most of us many years to drag home some rusty hulk!:)

loudbang, kidcampbell71 and 33Doll like this.
  7. 33Doll

33Doll

I know Right?

But....Theres alot of Baggage that has come with the cars over the years! That I won’t share here. Lets just say.... cars are my dads way of making up for lost years with his sons...and Family.

Another way.... is....
    I would Have traded “10” model 40’s to have had a normal Father Son Relationship growing up, if that makes Sense?

8. 33Doll

33Doll

Just Doodling....
    I thinking something like this for the crossmember
    IMG_9667.JPG Adjustments.JPG

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  9. alchemy

alchemy

That's a whole lot of bracing, gusseting, and such to be hung on a small square tube. Might be good to make the tube reach all the way to the outer rails, and maybe some boxing in that area of the rail.

10. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

I think that looks fine. I would add bracing towards the front and rear, but something simple will suffice. There is no torque load to the sides, only front and rear.

11. 33Doll

33Doll

It might not be that jazzy, but I am planning on boxing around it, and running a couple braces top and bottom to the outer rail.
    You’ll See !

bchctybob, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  12. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Sounds reasonable

loudbang likes this.
  13. 33Doll

33Doll

Doing few pre-cut pieces while I’m Bored on My Breaks

Adjustments.JPG

14. Dirk35

Dirk35

Perhaps others with more experience here will chime in, but would it be better to go "UP" with your drive shaft clearance cut-out instead of going "down"? Take it all the way up to the floor boards and that would make future drive shaft removal easier. Also will keep it from hanging down, possibly interfering with the drive shaft during suspension travel, and so it wont be able to be seen from under the car.

I think if you go down, you'll also has scrub line to worry about and possible speed bumps problems. If you go up, the only thing you need to worry about is making sure you have driveshaft clearance at full suspension compression.

Reason I bring it up is my battery is under my car on the driver side frame rail and it hangs down about 3"s below the frame rail, which is about a half inch below my running boards. If you look at my car from far enough away, you can see it hanging there under the car, and it gets closer to speed bumps than I like after the front wheels clear the speed bump but before the rear wheels approach the speed bump.

Something like this:
    IMG_9667.JPG

Last edited: May 19, 2020
  15. 33Doll

33Doll

Thanks Dirk I appreciate it.
    But I’m not worried about it, it’s not gonna hang down any lower than those links, plus the center crossmember hangs lower than that and the master cylinder. I kind of want a little protection around the links anyway. Plus the rear ends pretty much stock height. IMG_9669.JPG

chryslerfan55, dwollam and loudbang like this.
  16. 33Doll

33Doll

It’s kind of illusion looking at that picture of the cut pieces they’re only 3.5 inch total lower to the bottom of tubing. IMG_9684.JPG

17. Make sure that when suspension is at full droop the drive shaft has clearance to the new crossmember.

loudbang and 33Doll like this.
  18. 33Doll

33Doll

I’m Shocked!
    My Pops actually Got most of his roadster in the same Room!
    Thats progress! Only took 12 Years!

(He’s moving, again! so he had the body in one Garage, and the Chassis in his shop, but now its gonna get moved again! to his new Home, after he gets the rearend setup so he can trailer it)
    I told y’all Im convinced he has extreme ADHD? This roadster has been 30+ years in the Making??? So frustrating!
    But I love him anyway!

IMG_9685.JPG

Last edited: May 19, 2020
  19. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

30 years? At that rate he will never get to drive it. Unless of course you are 15 and he is 45.

brEad and loudbang like this.
  20. 33Doll

33Doll

Nope I’m 51, he’s 76...its sad. My uncles and I try to help him, bit he gets sidetracked. And we get Frustrated, and have to go back to our homes.
    That’s why I jumped at the chance to help him sell all his other cars and stuff so he can focus on it... someday!

21. 33Doll

33Doll

Wow! So now I’m back at work full-time so I haven’t gotten much Garage time! So I decided to go back and read my posts all the way to the beginning when I brought it the 33’ home. It’s only been since December! And then all this major work I did when this corona thing happened, within only two months! Not to pat myself on the back....
    (but OK I will!)

I’VE DONE ALOT OF STUFF!!!
    in a short amount of time! And Dang I’ve learned a lot! Compared from when I started, a Few months ago!
    I’m actually amazed! It’s weird when you read your thread from the beginning, because, when you post each day, it’s just adding to the story, so you don’t realize it at the time.
    And that’s stopping several times to take lots of pictures! I actually like sharing with everybody, and getting input! even though I don’t listen to all of it! But hey! Some is better than none!
    No seriously though, thanks for listening to my story and, my rants, etc.
    I got Monday and Friday off this week, so I’ll get a couple days on 33’
    Work is really busy now that we’ve been behind! So the work is going to slow down on the car for now!
    I am sure glad I got that metal work done!!!!
    -Peace to y’all
    Rick IMG_2488.JPG

22. bchctybob

bchctybob

Hey 33, I think I spied an Austin in the background of one of those pictures. 2 dr? 4 dr? What happened to it?
    I totally understand the situation you faced trying to help with your Dad’s projects. I have friends that I’ve tried to help but between disagreement on how to proceed and constant changes of direction it just didn’t work out and those projects still sit unfinished.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  23. 33Doll

33Doll

That was waaay before I was born!
    But it was most likely My Uncle Toms!
    He liked to buy odd small foreign cars and put Big blocks and Later rear-ends in them! And make crazy machines I guess, although Ive never see a picture of one???? But there are some stories... or maybe legends??

chryslerfan55, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  24. guy1unico

guy1unico

Use as a pickup truck...OMG...what was he thinkin?

25. 33Doll

33Doll

Coming along Slowly. Plenty of clearance around the driveshaft.
    Although it kinda bugs me its the off center style third member. Oh well!
    its not like I’m gonna be hanging out underneath the car! Especially driving down the Road!
    IMG_9730.JPG IMG_9731.JPG IMG_9732.JPG IMG_9733.JPG

26. 33Doll

33Doll

Got the Cross mount built, just gotta make a template for the mounting tabs.
    Gonna make them wrap around the tubing slightly so they have good back and forth strength.

Hey Dirk! I tried flipping it over, and it looked cool, but I looked under the body, and I would have to do some serious Mods to the Driveshaft Tunnel, and floor. The Driveshaft is gonna be hard to get in and out with the crossmembers like that, but it will work, I laid some sheet metal across the frame to simulate the floor, and with some finagling. It will come out.

( maybe replace the u-joints before I put it in just in case!)

IMG_9734.JPG IMG_9735.JPG

chryslerfan55, charleyw and brEad like this.
  27. 33Doll

33Doll

Its tight, but doable.

IMG_9736.JPG IMG_9737.JPG

28. 33Doll

33Doll

This will do!....Kewl!

Man! This rear suspension fabbing is really testing my patience!
    Its Going So Dang Slow! I see everything thing played out in my head. And just want it done!
    But in reality its so slow...
    I don’t want stuff all crooked and stupid looking so I have to move slower!

I think you all figured out by now, that I have zero patience???
    This car is slowly teaching me that. Oh but I’m fighting it!!
    Lol!

IMG_9738.JPG IMG_9739.JPG IMG_9740.JPG IMG_9741.JPG

29. 33Doll

33Doll

Done for today! Do some more Friday!
    I’m happy so Far! Hopefully When the car is actually together the Drive shaft will be Able to come in and out! Simulation is one thing... Reality is entirely Another thing! I’m sure it will be fine!!!
    Adjustments.JPG IMG_9738.JPG IMG_9736.JPG

chryslerfan55, brEad and dumprat like this.
  30. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Looks good! Just make sure you can get the bolts in and out after it's welded. Don't ask how I know it's a good idea to double check.....

Tman, brEad and 33Doll like this.