Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Brake adjusting proportioning valve question

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by blazedogs, May 19, 2020.

1. blazedogs

blazedogs

Never mentioned in any of the directions when you purchase one. Which way do you turn the valve to get more pressure to the back wheels clockwise or counter clockwise ? Gene

Sporty45 likes this.
  2. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

3. Moon50F3

Moon50F3

I wonder if all manufacturers are the same, but mine you go clockwise to increase pressure to the rear brakes too. I got it from either Summit or Speedway, don’t know the mfg.

4. Graybeard4545

Graybeard4545
    from Maryland

I got one from Speedway, their brand. All the way out, CCW cuts the rear brakes to 57%. Turning the knob in CW increases pressure to the rear. not sure of other makes on how they work.

5. MMM1693

MMM1693
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mine is a Wilwood and you turn the knob in or cw for more rear brake.

6. blazedogs

blazedogs

Ya, I think that is the issue I was having. Different mfg valves are set up different from one another. I was tearing my hair out, was blaming the wrong thing, why I did,t have good brakes even with a new MC and booster. The old saying " look at the simplest thing 1st..". Gene

7. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

So how would you decipher the SSBC instructions?
    E) Proportioning Valve Adjustment
    1) The proportioning valve in the Prop Block will be used to adjust the rear brake pressure of the vehicle. The objective is to balance the pressure of the rear brakes to the front so that under hard braking, the rear brakes do not lock up before the fronts.
    2) Start with the valve in the full increase position by turning the knob all the way out in a clockwise rotation.
    3) Find a safe open area such as parking lot and make several hard stops from 30 M.P.H. observing the function of the rear brakes. If the rear brakes lock up well before the front, begin to decrease the rear brake pressure by turning the knob in a counter clockwise rotation. Continue these adjustments until the proper balance is found.
    4) When you have found the proper adjustment for your vehicle try the test again at 50 M.P.H. and make any further adjustments as necessary.

Sounds like it works opposite of what you describe.

8. 392

I’d say there is a typo for #2. Out and clockwise don’t mix

9. blazedogs

blazedogs

Sorry to bring this up again, was posted earlier, am working on adjusting the brakes front to back pressure today and still a bit frustrated. Ok did we determine the actual directions) posted at the beginning of this post that come with a new proportioning valve)about adjustment procedure ( are a mistake a typo )???
    One of you also mentioned the conflict between the directions that come with a new proportioning valve & what most of you said worked for you . Which is it clockwise in for more back brakes, or out counter clockwise for more back brakes ? Gene

Just Gary likes this.
  10. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

buddy [fellow hamber] buys a new, small, oil can with a pump handle and tube spout, he then clamps a section of rubber hose onto it, fills it with brake fluid, he then back bleeds the brakes as sometimes the proportioning valve gets tricked into thinking you want it to stop fluid when you want fluid to pass through it to bleed... HIH.

11. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All adjustable prop valves I've seen or use have an arrow on the knob indicating turning clockwise increases the pressure to the rears.

12. blazedogs

blazedogs

No arrows on the knob ? Will try what a few others things suggested Thx Much ...

13. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What brand of prop valve do you have? Maybe a picture?

14. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Actually it’s not a typo. I looked at my SSBC valve and the knob is clearly labeled as clockwise being increased and counter clockwise being decreased pressure to the rear brakes.

That tells me that the valve is designed to give full flow and pressure to the rear brakes in what we typically think of as fully closed.

Then as you turn counter clockwise you’re decreasing flow and pressure to the rear brakes.

Kinda like a reverse action valve.

In setting up my brakes (drum-drum) I’ve found that so far I have it full on so I may have been able to get away without having the proportioning valve but I’m glad I installed it anyway, if I had needed it then I’d have to install one.