Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Seat Cover supplier?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Canadian Eh!, May 21, 2020.

1. Canadian Eh!

Canadian Eh!

Can anyone recommend a place to get seat covers for my 48 Merc? Trying to avoid a custom interior with some vintage covers. Thanks for the advice

Attached Files:

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  2. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

When I redid my 61 Starliner I got my interior from LaBaron-Bonney. SMS industries is another place to try. I waited over a year to get my interior because they didn't have the correct grain in one of the vinyl colors. I understand that SMS supplies most all material for interiors. Waited all that time for them to produce the vinyl I needed. Finally LaBaron-Bonney suggested a different grain in the same color. Sounded good to me so they did the switch and I had my interior in 10 days. They even knocked off a few bucks on the shipping.

loudbang likes this.
  3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It should be noted that LeBarron-Bonney filed for Chapter 7 (complete dissolution, all assets auctioned off) bankruptcy, some time ago, and there is no record of anyone acquiring their patterns.

They were a great resource, but they are gone.

lothiandon1940, loudbang and X38 like this.

5. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I think I read that SMS was dealing to get what was left of L-B.

loudbang likes this.
  6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Let's hope so.

lothiandon1940 and loudbang like this.
  7. Belair1964

Belair1964
    from Illinois

Dammit. I was going to order a set of clear bench seat covers. They were the only one who said they could do it. They even sent me samples. Now what ?

8. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Before LB.... there was a company called ABC, then LB bought them,... then SMS bought all stock of LB as they called it quits.
    SMS has the best stuff,.... but you need to pay in advance and the wait time can be anywhere from 2 months to over a year.Not sure if SMS has stock seat covers for seats.... They will make them.

9. You might try Cartouche.

scrap metal 48 and Jeff Norwell like this.
  10. Reds 29

Reds 29

Not sure if they have what you want but try automotiveinteriors.com. I put together an interior with there products

scrap metal 48 likes this.
  11. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

automotiveinteriors.com was bought out by LB just before going under. They also bought out Rodinteriors.com. I had used both in the past, and was very happy with them. Both gone now. Anyone find a good substitute yet??????

scrap metal 48 and vintagetin88 like this.
  12. greybeard360

greybeard360

Several years ago I had a 64 Cadillac (I miss that car!). It had covers over the seats when I got it. Upon removeal I found a pristine rear seat and the front seat had splits in the cloth but the vinyl was perfect. Our local supplier had 2 of the interior fabrics in stock but not the blue I needed. I bought some from SMS. I had the inserts done buy a local shop and the interior looked like a brand new car!!

But there was a little problem that showed up a few months later. The material was original Cadillac material. It was as old as the car. The material started to come apart after a while. It seems that it was dry rotted when I got it. If this car wasn't going to be driven it would have probably been fine, but this guy drives his cars!

Just saying this so you can ask in advance, is this "fresh" reproduction material or old original material. Lesson learned.... ask before buying. Back in the mid 80's when I got the material it was over $50.00 per yard which was more than double what the local place wanted per yard for their stuff.

13. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I paid over $100 a yd for 1956 repo Ford fabric from SMS and had a local guy do my design in 2016. SMS advertises stock door and rear area sides. B-L had the materials but would only do stock patterns. I’m glad SMS got their supplies so it didn’t get destroyed.

14. Belair1964

Belair1964
    from Illinois

They would not make clear covers. LB was the only one that would. 700 for a front and rear set. Not many people use or want clear covers anymore so the demand is not there.

15. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Correct, I was referring to the OP's original question...

16. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

LB also bought Hampton Coach many years ago. As far as the ABC upholstery operation goes I believe I read somewhere that the original owner is better "health" wise and is back business. Has anyone else heard this?

marshs likes this.
  17. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Glad you're keeping the original seats.. I too have used automotiveinteriors.com and was very happy with them and they're very reasonable... I did use vinyl covers for my 38....

18. vintagetin88

vintagetin88

I just called SMS to see if they are supplying materials to anyone who does made to order antique auto upholstery and if she could recommend someone. She told me there is no one else. So, I guess we all need to buy our own sewing machines if we want to spend less that $1200 per seat cover.