Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration One of the best ways to have fun

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lostone, May 25, 2020.

1. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Well I decided to goof off today on the 31 tudor and thought I'd get some of the extra/un_needed crap off the motor.

Thats when my 3 yr old grandson decided he wanted to help, grandma was like " is that ok?" , "Hell Yeah!" Was my reply.

So up on the cowl he went and we went to removing stuff, unneeded brackets, wires, vacuum lines, in fact he is cutting a vacuum hose for me because he was wanting to cut my good wires so I had to distract him.

We both had a good time and it was worth a good 30 minutes of watching him touch, handle and wanting to learn what we was doing and why. He was a tad dirtier when he was done but thats ok too.

Got 1 other 2 yr old grandson and 5 grand daughters under 3 so as I told grandma, any of those kids wanna play with grandpa in the shop that was just fine as long as I wasn't cutting, grinding or welding.

Here's my little helper here.

Attached Files:

racer-x, Latigo, greener200 and 59 others like this.
  2. Budget36

Budget36

I got a few hours with my granddaughter today as well, she just turned one, so a bit young, but I've already told my daughter she's gonna be a shoprat;)

3. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

That’s a classic picture :)

4. Luke stone

Luke stone

Love it my son is 4 and he can’t wait to be out in my workshop but at the moment everything is cutting and welding and lots of sharp steel about. He does occasionally come in when it’s tidy and stick bolts in every hole he can find.
    Luke

Ron Funkhouser, Hombre, raven and 6 others like this.

5. catdad49

catdad49

Love this thread! My Uncle had several "helpers", after they were done he was always hunting his wrenches ( no, I wasn't one of them).

6. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

Many, many moons ago I was watching my (at the time) almost three year old
    nephew. With nothing to do on a cold February morning I decided to put those
    brand new speakers in my El Camino so I popped little Jason in the passenger
    seat, locked his door so he couldn't get away and proceeded to crawl under the
    dash. A short time later I began to hear a series of pops. I let it go and went back
    to work until my curiosity got the best of me. I got up off the floor to find that my
    little helper had been popping holes in the new speakers with a Phillips screwdriver.
    About thirty of them. Amusing himself. Honestly, it was too funny to get angry at.

7. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

My 13 year old grandson used to love to come out to the shop with me when he was four. Only problem was I had to make sure I had lots for him to do or he got bored real fast.

8. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That photo should be your avatar. JMO

9. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Thanks guys,

I look forward to as they get older to pass on some of what I know to them and hopefully make some great memories for them along the way.

Can't wait to get it running and him sitting in the passenger seat asking me when its his turn to drive !!

Great idea 51504bat

10. hotrodzmartin

hotrodzmartin

Nothing better than spend your time with kids/grandkids sharing same passion for the hobby. Love it!

11. 1low52

1low52

baby knuck.JPG lil knucks.JPG IMG_3952.JPG IMG_3800.JPG wagon ride.JPG I know it's a HAMB thing that the more pictures the better!
    Here are a few of my grand kids doin Pops stuff.
    They love my shop!
    The group I hang with call ourselves the Knuckldraggers and have shirts, hats. coats, etc. with our logo.
    For Christmas a couple years ago I gave the kids all t shirts and they were thrilled.
    With all the covid stuff I'm missing a lot of hugs.
    So I made them all masks and took to them with the Knuckldragger logo on it from some shirts that were hanging in my shop.
    My granddaughter Maggie put it on and gleefully stated "Mmmmmm it smells just like the shop!"

12. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    That is a nice photo of your grandson working with you. My son and his daughter are not car people. They love cars for what good they do for all of us getting them somewhere or other. But, as far as working on them or doing anything else, well, that is another story. My granddaughter's Lego cars are unique, though.

All is not lost in our extended family. Our niece has a little toddler that is very mechanical. He takes apart stuff without any instructions and loves doing it his way. He loves cars, is the recipient of our old collection of Hot Wheels, Matchbox and Corgi little cars for his play day at his grandmother's house. These days, he too is locked in place as much as a toddler can be locked in place.

So, every time we have a family function, to keep the spirit of hot rods, cool cars and trucks alive, I slip him a new Hot Wheel style car from the 1930s-50s era. He looks at the car, at me and has a huge smile on his face. Then he spends the next 30 minutes rolling around everywhere with his new car. My wife is amazed at what this little toddler can do to toys and cars that can be taken apart. It is a good thing he cannot take apart his Hot Wheels and Matchbox cars. He would have a junkyard in his room !!! And the "evil eye" glare coming from his other grandmother and his own mom would be directed at us...

Jnaki
    Keep up the interaction with the grand kids. They are the future. Some may catch on and others will just roll on with their lives the best that they can with what they have.

Stay Safe

13. That’s great stuff there, you can’t buy those times!

Ron Funkhouser and Hombre like this.
  14. southcross2631

southcross2631

When my youngest son was about 7 he decided to help old dad one day while I was at work he filled up all of my gas tanks on my mowers with water. He didn't tell me what he had done and it was winter
    so in the spring nothing would start. That's when I found out about the water. Me and him had a quick lesson about not pouring water in a gas tank. I showed him how to rebuild lawn mower carbs.

15. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

My son was in the shop , with me, as often as possible! If I went to the shop, he went to the shop.
    I was changing the timing gear in a V-6 in my OT car. It had the big fiber cam gear that had come apart. I had the timing cover off, obviously, but could see junk in the pan, but couldn’t reach it. I was frustrated, the the light bulb came on! I set my then, 4/5 year old son down in front of the engine with a rag. He put his little arm in there and cleaned the pan spotlessly!
    It was so wonderful to see how proud he was that he could do something on a car that his Dad couldn’t! It was the first thing he told his Mom when we got back into the house.
    Good memories, from forty years ago.

Bones

16. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

That’s nice, good for you getting a future hot rodder started.

I clicked post picture full image for you.

F508CC21-85E2-4535-A776-7F9B904F4213.jpeg

17. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

On, my gosh! Now you can see that Thermoquad!

Bones

18. Yup sons, grandsons, daughters, granddaughters, kids they went to school with all good company under the hood.

I am working a new deal for fun and well fun. I have been randomly messaging HAMBers. I am sure some of them are going to be annoyed but well its still fun.

19. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd welcome a random PM from you if I could gain just an iota of the automotive stuff you know from
    it.:cool: Now back to the OP.

20. I would put you on my list but if I had a list it would not be random. LOL
    Thanks for the props though. :cool:

lothiandon1940 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  21. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Priceless !

chryslerfan55 and Hombre like this.
  22. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm on plenty of lists as it is!

23. Me too. Some of us use a fake name on the web for a reason. :eek::D:D:D:D:D

lothiandon1940 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  24. indyjps

indyjps

Wait, Pork is not your real given first name. What the Hell.

25. LOL monkeys and people (I have heard) are like pork aren't they. :D

chryslerfan55 and indyjps like this.
  26. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Hopefully in a couple months a tunnel ram will be sitting there and the grandson will be looking over that ! Lol

chryslerfan55, Boneyard51 and Hombre like this.
  27. pitman

pitman

28. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

That Thermoquad has some value to some MoPar guys, if it’s in good shape. They had a tendency render the center plastic section unusable due to various reasons. Good ones are getting hard to find.
    We had a fleet that had them on 440 magnums, back in the seventies.

Bones

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  29. Having Fun - get pulled down Hollywood Blvd by a rope in a grocery store shopping cart, 50's fun!

30. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Love the picture!