Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical *update*Seriously need help. S.o.l, up a creek, dead in water.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lostone, Apr 4, 2020.

1. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Ok I've looked and put this off for a long time (several months) and I need to get back to work on my 31 tudor.

My 31 tudor has been in a wreck at some point in time. It's taken the passenger door back into quarter and driven it in some at the beltline. It appears its been straighten but the lines are still wrong and I need some measurements so I can straighten it.

I need the width measurements from outside body line to outside body line in the pics below. And I need the width of the roof opening right at the back of the doors.

If I can get these measurements it will allow me to square the roof opening, door openings, and the quarter panels side to side.

So please if you have a 30-31 tudor these 2 measurements would be greatly appreciated ! And allow me to move forward. With alot of people being stuck home I thought now might be the perfect time to ask.

I don't plan on using any wood in the body, only steel tube so using oem wood to try and figure out where the measurements are isn't an option.

Thanks guys !!

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  2. Kevin Ardinger

Kevin Ardinger

loudbang likes this.
  3. Wish I could help you with the measurements your looking for. Maybe I can still help you just a little. I've had my hands on several projects similar to what your doing. I learned the hard way to work off a center line front to back and top to bottom. This makes sure you have a square body when done. It's very easy to get good numbers strait across and still be out of Rack. I find dead center at the rear and the front and mount a stationary post in place then run a string line or piece of tube between then. Now you can measure at any point of both sides and any place top to bottom and be sure both sides are the same. For me it's way better than just an X measurement in a few places. The main reason doors end up tight on top on one side and wide gap on the other is Rack. Don't build a twist in your body just because the numbers across are the same. Go the extra mile while your at it.

4. what he said sage advice

5. Straight Axle Guy

Straight Axle Guy

6. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Yep ahead of ya there Pist-n-broke ! Lol.

Thank you kevin! Appreciate it!

With those 2 measurements it should allow me to make "square boxes" across the top and across the body in the door openings. I can then come off body moulding line and square the rocker area to.

Build a couple small boxes then put them together to build 1 big square box.

loudbang and Pist-n-Broke like this.
  7. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Ok I've spent the day trying those measurements above (52-1/2, 42-1/2).

I can't even get close without major distortion on the quarter around the window and body line area.

If I get the top to that width and square across the roof front to back, the closet I can get outside body line bulge to outside body line bulge like in the pics above is 54-1/2" any tighter and it starts distorting.

So I was wondering if someone could double check their measurements for me. If those are indeed outside bulge to outside bulge I'm in more trouble than I thought......

Thanks guys. Was hoping to have the body squared today... Maybe tomorrow...

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just Gary and pitman like this.
  9. pitman

pitman

Hmmm, Briggs, Cunningham, other bodymakets, built for Ford.
    i like Mr48chev's measure.
    (and yep, square it up.)

10. tiredford

tiredford
    from Mo.

I have a feeling the numbers will differ greatly. These frames were designed to twist, that means the body is twisting some. The doors over lap hiding the door fit. Maybe that was the reason for the over lap.

11. Kevin Ardinger

Kevin Ardinger

Well I guess I don’t know how to read a tape measure. I sincerely apologize 54 1/4 42 1/4

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Just Gary likes this.
  12. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Ahhh.... !!!

Thank you Kevin !!!! No apologies needed !! I appreciate the measurements.

It also makes me happy in the fact that my ability to make things fit is still pretty good seeing how I could get happy at 54-1/2 !! Only a 1/4" off.

Thanks guys and thank you kevin, greatly appreciated!! So I'm hoping square body tomorrow.