Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Were there many 413 wedge gasser race engines back in the day?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by drumyn29, May 23, 2020.

1. drumyn29

drumyn29

We always hear about the 392's so I was just curious.

s-l1600-1.jpg

2. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

No data but I am sure there were a few Mopars going down the track. I know when Dad was dirt tracking they ran the 413’s in the sixties and seventies. Not everyone could afford or use the hemi’s wether 354,392 or 426’s. My avatar ran 413’s.:)

3. drumyn29

drumyn29

loudbang likes this.
  4. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

In the late 60's, there was a guy in my neighborhood who had a 38 Chevrolet Coupe with a 413 in in it; automatic with a push button shifter.. It was also for sale, but he would't even consider selling it to the 16 year old kid I was at the time. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

1Nimrod and chryslerfan55 like this.

5. loudbang

loudbang

There were A BUNCH in the Stock and Super stock classes but can't remember seeing more than 2-3 in the gasser classes.

Baron, stillrunners and olscrounger like this.
  6. PackardV8

PackardV8

IIRC, both the Dragmaster Dart and Tony Nancy had 413" AA/Dragsters. In the NHRA gas-only days, the wedge heads could be competitive with the hemis. Once they went back to allowing nitro, that was the end of the wedgers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

jack vines

Baron, Gotgas, alfin32 and 6 others like this.
  7. drumyn29

drumyn29

Thats awesome, thank you!

chryslerfan55, Deuces and loudbang like this.
  8. IMG_0249 (1).JPG Not to many back in the day but I have one now

9. Arthur

Arthur
    from NC

The max wedge Mopars were about as aerodynamic as a brick with cement chucks stuck to it,but when they started showing up at the strip and running in the A/S class,the GM guys got a little suicidal.

One of the funniest "auto trader" ad I ever saw was a 50's style t-bucket with a suicide front axle,motorcycle wheels up front,23T tub,and small circular gas tank at the rear. The ad read "96 inch wheelbase,4:56 posi rear,413 Max Wedge,push-button 727. Car is fast."

I was eating in a burger joint while looking at the ads,and spit food out when I read it. It even had the Max Wedge cross ram manifolds,with both carbs sticking out past the cowl.

Yeah,I bet it was a "fast car".

Gotgas, Hombre, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  10. As a kid .. I had an old magazine poster of two 1964 Dodge Polara Max Wedge factory drag cars. A convertible & a hardtop.

Both with the factory hood scoops to the front leading edge of their hoods. One red, one white .. whatever roll bars or cages they had.

Auto dealer sponsor in big letters down their sides. Wish I remembered who.

Worthless information, I know .. but was on my wall, way up high .. because they were bitch'n. Lance Reventlow Scarab was up there, too.

Hombre, loudbang, 1Nimrod and 4 others like this.
  11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sounds like the T that Bob Norwood (far better known as a Ferrari tuner in Dallas) built when he worked at Anderson motors in Grandview, Wa in the 60's. He also ran a 413 powered 62/3 Mopar sedan known as Rambunctious that was pretty quick and later tuned Steve Hahns national record running stock/super stock class Mopars. That T got with the program but a couple of guys who had ridden it said it could be a scary ride. Car was metallic blue in the 60's.

12. Deuces

Deuces

I think the "little old lady" had one in her Dodge....;):rolleyes::D

fauj, loudbang and scotty t like this.
  13. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So did the guy racing against the "Fuel-Injected Stingray" in "Shutdown".

There was a point in time when they were on top.

Didn't last long, though.

14. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

I recall the 62 Plymouth Savoy's that had delete just about everything. No radio, no heater, no glove box, no backseat or a couple hunks of upholstered cardboard, no carpets no padding under the rubber mat, cop or taxi front seats, or cheap ass seats from the base a 100 van , aluminum front bumper and fenders. Side windows either fixed, or went up and down with a nylon strap, nothing in the trunk but the spare tire. And battery. And the max wedge up front with the cross ram intake.

15. drumyn29

drumyn29

Such a great car!

loudbang, Deuces and chryslerfan55 like this.
  16. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice roof line on a butt ugly car....but they sure showed their tail lights to quite a lot of 406 Fords and 409 Chevrolet’s in there day...

loudbang, lemondana, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  17. Thanks to the motors being in trashy, beer can cars that were probably 250 lbs lighter at the least than anybody else. The '63 Plymouth Belvedere 426 wedge was around 3350 lbs. I had a '62 409 BelAir hardtop that weighed 3680 lbs with a half tank of gas and the Fords without any lightweight stuff were even more.

Last edited: May 24, 2020
    loudbang and Deuces like this.
  18. Fordors

Fordors

FE347937-9EBF-459A-995C-2576CEE20564.jpeg

Credit for the photo unknown, it was initially posted in the Willys pickup rear fenders thread by @swade41 .

j-jock, alfin32, Hombre and 5 others like this.
  19. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

i just traded a 440 for a 413 to go into my '63 Belvedere. both being just stock. ain't nostalgia great!!

Hombre, loudbang, 1Nimrod and 2 others like this.
  20. Butt remember they were ugly.......

loudbang likes this.
  21. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Someone was thinkn’..... and someone was sleepn’

loudbang and 1Nimrod like this.
  22. deucendude

deucendude
    from norcal

Had a 426 max wedge but my Winnebago had a 413 headers and all and it was the fastest one around. Not kidding, a lot of motor homes had 413s.

Deuces and loudbang like this.
  23. Boss 302 Mustang

Boss 302 Mustang
    from Duxbury MA

Deuces, kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  24. low down A

low down A

the max wedge manifold is a one piece design with both carbs on top of engine all fitting between the valve cover's, those long ram intake runner's were nothin to do with the max wedge race program

hemihotrod66, Deuces and loudbang like this.
  25. 73RR

73RR

….and still a good place to look for one. There are plenty of derelict mh sitting in the brush.

26. Well, maybe............but I don't think it was the drag racer that they had in mind when they were designing and building thin skinned rattle traps for the general consumer.

Fordors and loudbang like this.
  27. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Just possibly the Police. I knew a guy that had a 62-340 hp Corvette, got a little drunk and was going to outrun the Cops. At around 120 on the freeway, he wound up with an Oregon State Police car on each side of him, new blue Dodges ! I agree, they were light and tinny, but damn fast.

Deuces, loudbang and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  28. Shalamo

Shalamo

Not a drag car , but a real hot rod built in 1966. A good friend of ours put this together back in the day with a ‘63 426 cross ram engine and trans. The pictures I took today are with same 426 but now with 6/71 and dual quads. All steel 3 window coupe originally purchased for $30 bucks the owner he tells me. Nice to see someone able to keep something that long!

Attached Files:

29. low down A

low down A

usually when you see this much hatred from a guy with a boat anchor 409 under the hood it's because he was just handed his ass by a kid in dads 4 door big block mopar

lemondana, Arthur, b-body-bob and 2 others like this.
  30. I think that as race motors go the 413 max wedge got used mostly in FX type of cars.

[​IMG]

That is not to say that it did not find its way into the "gasser" ranks but whenever I think of one I my mind always leans toward a factory sponsored car.