Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who Has Tractors

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by crashfarmer, May 14, 2018.

1. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Look around a find an 8N or later Ford tractor. It will make a good tractor for small acreages. And you will get to drive a piece of history. Due to the availability on new smaller tractors the old Fords are getting real cheap. You can buy them running around here for under $500, now! I have two for that in the past week or so.
    Most people don’t know the history of the 9-N Ford tractor. It’s amazing what it and Henry Ford contributed to agriculture!

Bones

Okie Pete, tractorguy and 1953naegle like this.
  2. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Indeed, the MM UDLX comfort tractor is still one of the most elegant of the rare collectible tractors, how ever, the MM universal, of which only one was ever built, is still the most rare to find.....................grin GOTCHA! M M.jpg

3. Randy1944

Randy1944

Just another two cylinder.

Attached Files:

Okie Pete likes this.
  4. tractorguy

tractorguy

I like the idea of a "doodlebug" tractor being built with the stovebolt six......but.....as others have said.....8N/9N type stuff can really be found for decent $$ since many folks are simply writing a check for a new Kubota instead of fixing up the older vintage stuff. The 8N/9N will give you hydraulics and a nice usable 3pt. lift......which the doodlebug won't
    Have fun

Okie Pete, Boneyard51 and 1953naegle like this.
  5. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I use my '41 9N to move snow. Runs like a watch (even at -10*), enough power to do the job efficiently and best of all...parts are still available and it's a cinch to work on!

Okie Pete, tractorguy and Boneyard51 like this.
  6. crashfarmer

crashfarmer
    from Iowa

Wow! I should head for Oklahoma to buy my next tractor. I watched a nice 9N sell a few weeks ago not far from here for a little over 2 grand. I did hear someone mutter that the auction was just too close to Des Moines where there seems to be a big demand for old acreage tractors.
    The last one I saw sell for around $500 was non-running, the engine was locked up.

Okie Pete and Boneyard51 like this.
  7. We have a BF Avery in the hoard. Avery tractors used a flathead 4 cyl Hercules engine. ours also has live hyd. The BF Avery paint color is called Tartar Red. A California Customizer named Joe Balion Painted a show car with it and called it Candy Apple Red.

VANDENPLAS, Okie Pete and Boneyard51 like this.
  8. The availability of new relatively cheep import small tractors has diminished the demand for the old classic American tractors. and just like the old cars. the folks who grew up with the old tractors are dying out.

Okie Pete and Boneyard51 like this.
  9. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

DAB97F0E-E9F4-4A8A-A941-C96AAFAABB63.jpeg 687D843E-D913-48D4-911D-3C692B348085.jpeg Use my 9N to move my T Sedan body and A frame yesterday.

Attached Files:

10. Two items ive been looking for and haven't found one I could afford. I want a M&W hand clutch kit for a M Farmall and a live hyd pump for a M. Just don't ever see any in my part of the world.

Boneyard51 and Okie Pete like this.
  11. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I got a M &W( I think it’s a M&W) hand clutch for a G Moline! It clutches the pinion on the bull gear, for live power. There we go again! Cousin!

Bones

Old wolf likes this.
  12. Yes exactly that way you still have power to the PTO. Ive seen a few in E Bay however there always way up north almost at the Canada border.

13. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I got mine from a MM dealer in Kansas. I’ll keep my eyes open. A few years back I went to the big scrap yard here in Muskogee and there sat a faded but super straight M Farmal in the junk pile! I go “really! “. But that was when junk was high....I should have sold out!

What’s a good price on one, in case I run across one?

Bones

14. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

You might try calling welters farm equipment in Verona Missouri they are one of the biggest moline dealers 417-498-6496

15. Im looking for one that fits a M Farmall. There was a guy who moved here from Nebraska. And He brought a H Farmall that had one with him. His H also had a 9 speed transmission.

16. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Welters deals in all tractors new and used

Boneyard51 likes this.
  17. adam401

adam401

Great thread! I love tractors Ive got a 9n that I use all the time. I'm picking a snow plow up for it this week. Still looking for some tire chains. I also have a early 50s JD 440 crawler. This stuff is as addictive as hot rids if not more so. I'm looling for an inexpensive early steel wheel tractor project if anyone knows of anything
    Message_1558737202161.jpg

18. SicSpeed

SicSpeed
    from Idaho

1940 9N restored by original owner. I picked it up from the second owner. Does anyone know if the diff lock from an 8N will work in the 9N 3spd IMG_4337.JPG IMG_4335.JPG
    Getting the driveway ready for the coming snow.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

NASTY 1, Okie Pete and tractorguy like this.
  19. SicSpeed

SicSpeed
    from Idaho

Chains https://www.tirechainsrequired.com/search?type=product&q="11-28"&submit=

adam401 likes this.
  20. SicSpeed

SicSpeed
    from Idaho

https://www.tirechainsrequired.com/search?type=product&q="11-28"&submit=

adam401 likes this.
  21. SicSpeed

SicSpeed
    from Idaho

40 9N rebuilt by original owner. I picked it up from second owner without implements last year. Runs great and fires right up every time even sub freezing weather. Does anyone know if the 8N diff lock will work in the 9N 3spd
    I IMG_4337.JPG IMG_4335.JPG
    Yesterday getting the driveway ready for the snow. Knocking down dirt piles around yard and ash piles.

Okie Pete and adam401 like this.
  22. 270dodge

270dodge
    from Ohio

It's a bit off the established path but I like the 2 wheelers. My father bought a 1950 Springfield and when he got too old to use it he gave it to me. He said that he knew I wouldn't junk it and he was right. I use it in my garden. Later I acquired a 1951.

Attached Files:

23. I started a walking tractor thread in the antiquated forum. I have a few.

24. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Here’s a few pics of some tractors at our home town parade. The guy on the Allis G is my friend I met in Oct of 1957 at the school we attended together there for 12 years. 3ED42B32-E6FC-4AF9-BCD4-8FAA83FB1820.jpeg 28D57E41-8331-4601-9A40-30AA0689E32D.jpeg C2BBFAE9-AE27-41EF-9AA9-1D64DA188B54.jpeg 4E0BA7E8-85A7-4DE3-A792-52D13D98C087.jpeg

25. The G allis like the Massey Pony used a continental flat head 4 cyl engine. Those engines are in big demand.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  26. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

That little Avery looks a lot like the one I had, but mine had belly cultivators like a IH.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  27. Normant93

Normant93

View attachment 4696632 I thought I'd wake up this thread with a new post...……...
    I rigged up a tool bar attachment, for the sleeve hitch on my little Cub Cadet 100, so I could use a set of hillers for the garden. I also found an old Brinly cultivator set up for the sleeve hitch last Fall ($25 at a yard sale). Lots more time for gardening these days since we can't go anywhere, so we went a little bigger this year.
    I also included a picture from the first time I plowed it (22 years ago) for the entertainment of you guys down south, in case you ever wondered why there are so many stone walls in New England.

IMG_4628.JPG IMG_4629.JPG IMG_4631.JPG IMG_4638.JPG
    rocks.jpg

Last edited: May 24, 2020
    VANDENPLAS, Okie Pete, NoSurf and 2 others like this.
  28. MO54Frank

MO54Frank

No tractor now, but from autumn 89 until summer 94 I owned a Allis-Chalmers “C”. Bought it for $450 and it came with a 4’ Mott flail mower. I used it to mow our 2 acre place in Western KY. Sorry no pictures.
    For a year or two I have been thinking about getting a Farmall Cub.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  29. GraeffSS

GraeffSS

We have a few at the farm, actually, we only have 2 "modern" tractors...
    1955 Hanomag R55, bought brand new.
    [​IMG]
    1966 Deutz DM-75, originally sold in Germany with different sheet metal as the F4L-514. This one was also bought brand new, and has original paint, but the original aircooled engine seized and was replaced by a Mercedes.
    [​IMG]
    1968 CBT 1090, This one well be more familiar to you Americans, as it is a licensed Oliver 950. This specific model came with a British Perkins engine, but there was even a model with a Detroit 2 stroke like the 990/995 (although it had a 4-53 instead of a 3-71), the 2400. we had a 1974 one for a while (middle one in the second pic)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I know the thread is about tractors, and not combines, but we also have this 1974 Claas Consul, which we still use every once in a while
    [​IMG]

30. Arthur

Arthur
    from NC

Started out with a Golden Jubilee a friend gave me that his father bought new,and it needed everything. Redid the engine and wiring,and it ran like a top. Traded it to a guy for 2 50's DeSotos,one with a hemi,and some cash.

Next was a 540 Ford,a 1958,I think. Still have it,just parked it when I bought the late 70's/early 80's 345D front end loader. Since it weighs right at 10,000 lbs,it works MUCH better to pick up the front end of a project car and move it around the yard,to to strip out parts cars with.

Still have both and never use either anymore. I now have a new TYM 4x4 diesel tractor with a cab,ac,ps,etc,etc,etc. Got hit with heart problems and cancer right after I bought it,so it mostly sits,too. Still,on those rare occasions when I do need it,sitting in that cab with either the ac or the heat going and listening to tunes while it is doing all the work beats the HELL out of getting rained on or sunburned while getting eaten by yellow flies.

Will probably put the 540 and the 345 D up for sale some time this summer. I never use them anymore,so why keep them?