Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Help! I've been offered (maybe) a hell of a trade for my 55 Chevy Gasser.....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mr. Sinister, May 22, 2020.

1. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2020-5-23_15-54-51.png
    Hello,

It is a dilemma, but, too bad you couldn’t have both. One to sit while the other is making the rounds of the local cruise. But, since that is not going to fly, the reason most like the pro mod on the right is that it is cleaner they way it sits. Nothing to bother anyone except a clean good looking 1955 Chevy two door sedan and a blower/carb scoop sticking up to say, Hello.

Your own 55 Chevy two door sedan looks like a copy of a drag car from the 1968 or beyond into the 70s with the wrong altitude. Also, the stickers would bother most, taking away from a clean 55 two tone Chevy sedan. During our high school teenage years, a good friend had a black and white 55 two sedan that had a lowered Cal Rake and chrome wheels.

It was not a super fast sedan with the stock 265 V8, but it sure looked good driving around our cruising grounds or daily to high school. It looked like the one below. But, his goal, if he could afford it was to get a set of American Racing mag wheels for that black and white 55 Chevy sedan. You already have nice set of 5 spoke wheels.
    upload_2020-5-23_15-55-24.png
    This look is intimidating enough for everyday driving and would get the looks anywhere it goes. It is the 1955 Chevy two door, two tone style that everyone likes, without the bothersome stickers making it look fake.

Jnaki

I am sure that throws everyone in a tizzy, but it is the style of the 55 Chevy that is outstanding. The pro mod on the right exemplifies that cool look. Well, he also has the power to back it up, but at what cost inside and comfort? If we were in your shoes, it would definitely look like the smaller photo alterations. With the cool modifications to the stock 55 Chevy look, take off the non-stock hood, stickers and fix up what you think is a problem on the sedan, body/paint wise. Keep the wheels/tires and two tone color. Now, you are in the game, for sure. The pro mod is too much to modify to get it back to stock.

To be a little different, why have a giant 671 and carbs for the street? Get a centrifugal supercharger for your motor and it all fits under the stock black hood. Now, you will have power, a little whine to give notice to others and have a cool looking hot rod. YRMV

2. Great news! :)

Blue One, Mr. Sinister and Thor1 like this.
  3. -Brent-

-Brent-

I don't even care that the other 55 is pro-streeted. It is a clean, nasty 55. I'd have no qualms about thrashing on it. I didn't want to step over that. It looks like a fun car and well done (from what I see).

Mr. Sinister and Thor1 like this.
  4. Budget36

Budget36

So if I told you no, would you do it?

If I told you yes, would you do it.

Thinking back to one of the Star Trek flicks...remember Khan?

Do it be cause it is what you want to do...

What I'm getting at is if 75% think you should, will you be happy? vice-versa.

Mr. Sinister and Thor1 like this.
  5. That shopped pic at the bottom is EXACTLY what my car used to look like. It looked great, but I needed a change.
    QgCi9hB.jpeg

Sent from my KFSUWI using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

That picture of your '55 makes me want to paint my Nomad black and white!

Thor1 and Mr. Sinister like this.
  7. Personally I think black and white is THE combo on a tri-five. Do it!!

Sent from my KFSUWI using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Thor1 likes this.
  8. redoxide

redoxide

Here is a thought. A guy with real nice stuff that likes to show them off wants to swap you one of his toys for your toy. That kinda suggests to me that he rates yours higher than he does his own .

Secondly, if you do the deal, he gets his perfect vision while you end up remodeling what you took in exchange..

I would keep what I had in this case. But I know we are always chasing something else ..

9. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

No trade - good decision.

Mr. Sinister, rbrewer and Thor1 like this.
  10. Update: Guy ended up selling the car and getting a decent number for it considering.

Just Gary, WC145, swade41 and 7 others like this.
  11. clem

clem

........pleased that you came back and updated your thread.
    ........pleased that he made the right decision for you......:D

12. Long overdue update:
    To start things off, the owner of this car passed last Spring. He was one of a kind and helped me a great deal with my car and knowledge of tri-fives. All my older hot-rodder friends are gone. Gene was the last.
    He ended up selling this car to an old work buddy. He actually brought it out to a cruise night I was attending last Summer. Got a little of the old heart-sinking feeling when I saw it. I told him the story with my car and asked him how he was getting on with it. He told me he had nothing but problems with it initially, but he seemed to have gotten it dialed in. He had to rewire the whole car and update a few things, but mechanically it had been solid. Just thought I'd update for all the folks who took the time to read and comment here.

swade41, slayer, loudbang and 5 others like this.
  13. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Enjoy your car. Gene would be happy you now have it.

14. Good to keep what you have
    Versus
    Have The Unknown

Jim

firstinsteele likes this.
  15. I never did swap him cars, I kept mine. His old work buddy has his car now and definitely did right by it, which makes me happy.