Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Who is using a shadow rods front crossmember on their 32?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by heyitsnate, May 23, 2020.

1. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

I used one for my frame build, and there isn’t much room between the radiator and the top of the crossmember, I thought I would use flat top model A u-bolts but they do not fit. The bottom plate is not wide enough either. What are people doing for ubolts? I really don’t like the type that weld to the crossmember, I would prefer something more stockish.

2. The37Kid

The37Kid

A photo would help, what is the drop gained with the Shadow crossmember? Bob

3. Ive seen crossmembers with a flange on the lower edge front,and rear with bolt holes.A plate under the spring ,and bolts that sandwich the spring between them.

deathrowdave likes this.
  4. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Over the years I've used 100's of the weld on front spring clamp from P&J's on customer chassis with no problems.

heyitsnate and pprather like this.

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

Shorter than stock that weld to the boxing plates? Bob

6. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

This style is the Pete and Jakes he mentioned.
    SPark

A1DA4BD5-2146-4BBE-9CA0-09CE5A6996A8.jpeg

pprather and The37Kid like this.
  7. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

It’s a dropped model A style so you get the 1” plus about 3/8 -1/2 more besides. Not totally flattened.

8. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

I made a fixture today to heat, straighten and reform the flat top model A u-bolts to a little wider profile, then I’ll just need to make a new bottom plate with a little wider spacing. We’ll see how that goes.