Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Cheap ass 34 pick up

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by dumprat, May 31, 2015.

1. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't think it was the beer, D.
    Blame it on age.
    You're 46?
    Yup, that's about when it starts.
    LOL
    Good to see you working on your truck. Have fun. Be careful.

Sent from my VS835 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  2. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

That looks nice. I like seeing the water beading on new paint.

loudbang likes this.
  3. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Got my ass kicked in Helena. There was a shift change at a mine and no one told us if you stayed at the bar it meant you wanted to fight. It wasn't an goo time to be a hippy in Montana.

4. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

IMG_1842.JPG IMG_1851.JPG Got a few more bits bolted up. Fuel tank, trans crossmember, trans, and finished the master cylinder mount, painting as I go. Working on my brush and roll technique as I go. Brush quality makes a huge difference as does temperature and thinner quantity. Hopefully I can get it dialled in before I start on the body.

5. 64krusty

64krusty

looking good Matt

loudbang and dumprat like this.
  6. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Really nice!

loudbang likes this.
  7. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Some how I ended up with four groove exhaust valves and two groove locks. So I have half the heads assembled and ready to go. Going to see how long it will take me to get some proper locks. If not I guess I can reuse the stock ones although I am not in love with that idea.

Got the oil pick up fixed as well. Scrounged a chunk of perforated stainless plate from a buddy's shop. Should work good. We use the same stuff to make diffuser plates to kill bubbles in hydraulic tanks. IMG_1855.JPG IMG_1856.JPG

8. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

IMG_1879.JPG Got some comp locks which should work on my valves. And got the other head cleaned and valve seats lapped.
    My lovely wife and I have been tag teaming the yard projects between working, schooling the kids and whatnot. This is one of the bigger ones. A 7.5x24' addition to the driveway and Japanese style kinda trellis thing. Makes more room to park hot rods and a nice back drop once all the plants are in.(Her job!)

I am sick of shovelling.

ratrodrodder, Fordor Ron, bct and 8 others like this.
  9. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Still picking away at the engine. Sure are a lot of little parts to clean and check on one of these things. Slobbered some paint on it last night. I need to redo one valve cover, it has more fisheyes than a hearing skiff. IMG_1891.JPG

10. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Awesome man, any progress is progress

loudbang and Runnin shine like this.
  11. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Started getting the distributor drive built. It's an industrial drive shaft cut down to fit the Desoto. Then to make an adapter for the Chevy distributor.

12. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

IMG_1912.JPG IMG_1913.JPG Well I promised weird shit so here it is.
    I needed to turn my hemi flywheel down to accept the 130 tooth down to work with the HH adapter I got cheap. When I did this I noticed that the flywheel had huge axial run out, like .040 and it was not a consistent thickness. I cleaned it all up and fitted the new gear. I was a little concerned about the balance. I spoke to my engine guru and asked about static balancing it. He figured it should work so I did it. I have balanced very large high speed fans this way and it works.
    First I took and glued a 1" I'd bearing into a piece of aluminum plate then machined the outside to a light press fit.

After that I tapped it into the crank register and made it run concentric on a 1" shaft that I levelled out . The level reads .001/ foot. In case you wonder. With a pointer set to the absolute center at the bottom. (I used a plumb bob and ruler to set the pointer)

It was easy to spin and let it come to rest at the lowest point. You have to wash the grease out of the bearing and use very light oil, or WD40.
    With a little extra weld on the light side(yes I welded the ring gear on, both for protection and weight) and some delicate drill work on the heavy side. I got it balanced to the point where one tiny magnet was the amount of imbalance. Less than a gram.

Should be fine.

And this should freak out the ninnies eh!

13. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

IMG_2442.JPG And there ya go another piece done and ready to bolt on. Need a clutch then I can stick it in the frame.

14. bschwoeble

bschwoeble

I like your thinking and approach. Very impressive.

loudbang likes this.
  15. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Smoother than a baby hemi’s valve covers.
    Or would that be oil pan?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: May 20, 2020
    loudbang likes this.
  16. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

^ This actually the Dorothy of hemis. Not the little one, not the big one, just right....

loudbang and Runnin shine like this.
  17. Sure ya didn’t weld the ring gear on cause you over cut the flywheel?

18. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Nope it's heat shrunk on. This ain't my first rodeo machining shit ya know? Lol

Atwater Mike, loudbang and Six Ball like this.
  19. Just checking.

loudbang likes this.
  20. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Just because every 12 year old girl needs to know how to build stuff, read a tape measure and weld I had my daughter build a desk. She did the chop sawing, welding, clean up, paint, sanding and finishing of the wood top. She is pretty proud of it.

I ran the skill saw(it's a horrible pile of shit and I am surprised I still have my fingers)

IMG_1915.JPG

21. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

That is cool! She will have memories of this far greater that the actual events. These kinds of memories tend to grow over the years. Good job Dad!

scrubby2009, pcbart, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  22. That is pretty awesome! She did a great job.

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  23. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

You two could make more of those together for fun and profit. I personally love and covet live edge furniture.

loudbang likes this.
  24. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Just so ya don't think I been slacking!
    I built the tach drive adapter out of an old jeep speedo gear shaft. IMG_1923.JPG

brEad, Six Ball, Runnin shine and 2 others like this.
  25. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

IMG_1919.JPG And I got the Chevy crank pulley modified, polished all the intake bolts, and got my buddy Charlie to weld a boss onto the bottom of the valley pan so I had some meat to press the road draft tube into.
    Thanks Charlie!

tomkelly88, brEad, Six Ball and 3 others like this.
  26. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

IMG_1925.JPG
    Got the distributor adapter and driveshaft done. Fitted the moroso dipstick. Everything fits super close. I am my own worst nightmare. I need to make more space between everything.....

brEad, WTF really, Six Ball and 4 others like this.
  27. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

IMG_1922.JPG And so I can be included in athe Arvin heater club, I cleaned up and painted my heater. I have two. One is a tropic aire. Although they are both the same. One has the doors and the other has a good motor . The paintjob is shitty (I suck at painting)

brEad, Six Ball, Runnin shine and 2 others like this.
  28. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

That monstrous masterpiece in this perfect profile is going to leave’m lust’n.
    IMG_0865.JPG IMG_0866.JPG
    Magnifique!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

ratrodrodder, waxhead, brEad and 8 others like this.
  29. Duke

Duke

Nice chrome bits, looks good!

loudbang likes this.
  30. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Cheap chrome bits, transdapt to the rescue!

@Runnin shine that pic seems so long ago now. The fact that I am getting closer to driving the truck is exciting though?

brEad and Six Ball like this.