Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical F-1 shock mounts...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JNKYARDDOG_1, May 23, 2020.

1. Has any one used a F-1 shock mount on a fenderless car/Truck?
    If so did you use the stock F-1 shock that is like 20 inches extend. Or is you car so low you could use those little shorty hotrod shocks that come with most front end kits?
    Pics PLEASE

20200523_113344.jpg

2. OFT

OFT

hotrods and dogs 001.jpg hotrods and dogs 007.jpg

Hard to see, however I cut and turned F1 shock mount per the Tardel/Bishop book, took model A headlight bar to go across top. Bottom of shock went to tab on split 'bones.

3. deucemac

deucemac

I used a set on my deuce hiboy. If I remember right, I used a pair of Jeep shocks with the upper cover removed. It has been a few years but I believe the shocks were 14 inches extended. They worked very well with my dropped axle. They never bottomed or topped out.

4. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

It's hard to tell but what is your ride height in regards to the front spring?

Attached Files:

5. Mr cheater

Mr cheater

well it’s hot rodding [​IMG][​IMG] you may have to cut heat and bend or all three of the afore mentioned things to make them fit

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

bct likes this.
  6. Didn't want to do the cut and weld thing.. But looks like I will have to

7. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Those are 50’s Dodge truck shock mounts, shorter than the Ford ones.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

ramblin dan likes this.
  8. Mr cheater

Mr cheater

Same principle applies I didn’t have any f-1 shock pictures in my phone

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

Thanks for that tip. Didn't even know Dodge had mounts like that. I bought these aftermarket ones at a swap meet that were shorter.

Attached Files:

• nbmh.jpg
      nbmh.jpg
      File size:
      253.2 KB
      Views:
  10. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

I'm running a modified set on a full fendered Model A, used two of rivet holes that held the front crossmember, cut the arms off and welded them on at a different angle and bent them to clear the fender. I'm running a short shock on them, the shock is mid stroke with the weight on it, about 3" travel left. 20141104_122725.jpg fh1.jpg

alanp561 and JNKYARDDOG_1 like this.
  11. The Dodge mounts are easy to identify since the end hole is flattened down to about half thickness, whereas the Ford mounts are equal thickness for both mount holes.

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd have to think that it is pretty much a given that you normally heat and bend the F-1 shock brackets to get them to work on most anything except an F-1.
    That lower shock bracket on the axle in post one looks way too low and outboard rather than inboard of the spring perch.

13. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

B0DA3F32-5FC6-4737-A0AD-D826A2A1F466.jpeg Here’s what I did with my F1 mounts: cut and welded to make an L with holes lined up with stock Model A shock holes. Upper arm for headlight from a Model A headlight bar.

14. Do you have a pic from the front? How long is that shock also...

15. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

CA775131-8218-4479-A675-5462338DF979.jpeg Can measure tomorrow and send that info. I can’t for sure remember but am pretty sure they are stock 1956 F100 shocks. They are not like the short ones.
    Hope the pic helps. (Please note I posted a newer photo showing the shock a little better and the change made to move the lower mount to the perch bolt below the radius rod).

Last edited: May 25, 2020
  16. TY for the pic, That is where my mount is lower perch.. I was thinking a full size shock might look hooky.. Painted to match blends in well.

AVater likes this.