Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Need help with a th350. Might have a stripped thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hotrod_hodge, May 23, 2020.

1. Hotrod_hodge

Hotrod_hodge

just spent $1,250 on a transmission rebuild. Just got in the car and started it up to find out the the high pressure outlet has a huge leak. Shot fluid straight up against my fire wall all over the headers and the ground. I think the part where it recieves the fitting is stripped. Ive tried 2 other fittings but had the sane result. Its tight in there but the fitting is flush agsinst the transmisson. Anyone kniw of anyway i could fix this?

2. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

For that price on the rebuild your tranny guy might have a fix.

egads likes this.
  3. for $1250 on TH350 the builder should have seen this.

4. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Yes the rebuilder should have seen that and corrected it during the overhaul. I would get him to repair it at no charge to you

5. Hotrod_hodge

Hotrod_hodge

I called the builder. He said they fit fine before. I took the transmission and hes crrently lloking around his shop for a fitting he could use to fix this

6. squirrel

squirrel

Do you know for sure what type of threads the transmission case has? What type of fittings did you try in it?

But if it's leaking like that, it's likely there's a crack or something...and seeing what's going on will probably require removing the transmission.

Good luck, sounds like a bad situation.

Truckdoctor Andy and VANDENPLAS like this.
  7. I gotta agree with @squirrel

the trans should be pipe thread, with a fitting screwed not it to convert it to a flair fitting.

you might have to pull the transmission to get a hood look at what’s going on.
    Can you not just remove the fitting from the trans ?
    Pretty generic should be had in stock at any place that carries hydraulic bits.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  8. Ericnova72

Ericnova72
    from Michigan

If somebody changed the fitting in the case from the stock straight pipe thread male/inverted flare female adapters, and put fittings in that are tapered pipe, it will split and crack the case if you overtighten them.

Stock fitting is straight pipe, sealed underhead by a crush washer.

See this all the time with guys putting your typical AN male/taper pipe male nipple adapter in so they can put braided hose trans lines on a car.

9. squirrel

squirrel

it's a straight thread, not pipe thread! they use a sealing washer between the fitting and the case.

that's why I asked if he's sure what the fitting is supposed to be...threading a tapered fitting into relatively thin cast aluminum is asking for trouble

427 sleeper, ottoman, egads and 2 others like this.
  10. Pat Thompson

Pat Thompson

Lock Tite make a hydraulic thread locker that works good if you have no other luck.

gimpyshotrods likes this.