Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Question on front end/ shocks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rbrewer, May 23, 2020.

1. I'm trying to learn about various hot rod front ends. I read a lot of the post/ threads available here. I found this photo ( not on this site) for a truck for sale (classic cars .com), first thing that hit me was the configuration of the front shocks. Never see them like this before, your input is appreciated. 32 pu shocks.jpg

2. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

OK,that's a bit odd,but has some small kind of good in it. Must look good too owner!. The front shocks are coil overs,so a little extra support{very little from angles} but the angles do some side to side control for axle death wobble.
    Shocks are mounted to axle, too close to center to do much of any thing/even if they were straight up.
    Rim/tire for front is a good rim off set with out being high scrub*,that is often seen{ as some owners don't know and use high out set rims*. Tire size is pretty good,not too wide{ as too wide is also too heavy for straight axle cars,so can lead to bad control.
    The set up there is side steer,from what little can be seen in photo,but kind of looks like steering side rod,would be a little better if rear joint to pitman arm was done a little lower for better engineering of steering.

Last edited: May 23, 2020
    rbrewer likes this.
  3. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Like coil overs, these shocks have been mounted at such a low angle their effectiveness has been greatly reduced, unless they have stiffer rates to compensate for the angles. I would mount mine more outboard, colocated with the spring ends / the wider spring base to better dampen suspension movement.

dana barlow and rbrewer like this.
  4. Here is a link to add, dudn't provide much more detail, thanks for the replys.https://photos.classiccars.com/cc-temp/listing/126/8798/18086333-1932-ford-pickup-std.jpg

dana barlow likes this.

5. Those front shocks are rear shocks off a motorcycle....

6. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

Buddy of mine ran a set up like this on his T-bucket and used motorcycle shocks. And the ride was pretty stiff. Gotta be careful of the angle of these to make them function properly. like any shock too much angle and they aren't effective. 376.jpg

Attached Files:

• 058.jpg
      058.jpg
      File size:
      282.6 KB
      Views:
    rbrewer likes this.