Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects nastiest model A part ever dragged home

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by sloppy jalopies, Apr 25, 2020.

1. [​IMG]

Well this followed me home. For $400 not too bad!

LSJUNIPER, DBruce, Okie Pete and 4 others like this.
  2. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

3. pecker head

pecker head

4. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

Not the worst pair of '32 rails ever dragged home ... but close !
    no, the '32 front ends are not mine [buddy's]...
    3 2 frame 1.jpg

5. Koz

Koz

My Vicky when I got it ........ but you still win! 20170523_120837_Film1_1527879823955.jpg

6. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

no... you have the Vicky... you win!

Koz likes this.
  7. dartracer

dartracer

8. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

a '30-'31 coupe or sport coupe... what an excellent fix for a new England car...
    what you see we never get !

9. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

not the nastiest for me but nasty none the less... not home yet.
    when I removed the hinges from the cut down cowl I found a pair of plyers vertically stuck inside the A pillar... had to enlarge a hole to get them out...
    how did they get in there ? ... factory screw up ?
    rdstr 1.jpg rdstr 2.jpg

Last edited: May 18, 2020
  10. Koz

Koz

That one is actually a real find as the quarters are intact. The West Coast guys are thinking we're nuts for salvaging this stuff but anything that will still take a weld is fair game in the Northeast.

11. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

only the frontend is A, clamped not welded, but nice 16" wheels... made on a T frame, note the T front crossmember … guy towed it 20 miles to my house today... tires and tubes still UP... DSCN6419.JPG

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  12. -Brent-

-Brent-

I have dragged some stuff I considered "nasty" but I don't believe anything I touched could compete with the some of the better condition stuff in this thread.

13. The37Kid

The37Kid

The photo I wish I'd taken was a 1929 Model A Roadster that stayed outside in Connecticut since it left the showroom. Only good thing were the folding brass windshield posts. I did make $200.00 so all was good. Bob

14. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

15. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

is that a coupe carcass or is it a fordor… ?

16. Hauled these home for the kid, thought they were rough at the time; but guess they are not that bad by today's standards.
    coupe2.jpg coupes1.jpg

17. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

lucky rascal ! … he had better remember this come father's day ...
    careful... some fordor doors will interchange... others will fit the hole but armrest area is too sharp,
    rear upright too thick, wooden cage inside...
    the right ones have sort of a 1/2" wide circle stamped into the inner door panel...
    I've found that at a swapmeet fewer questions about the doors helps keep the price down...

18. Rand Man

Rand Man

I bought these at an auction twenty years ago. Lord I hope I didn’t pay much for them. I was told they are Model A roadster doors. They need a new home. [​IMG][​IMG]

19. railcarmover

railcarmover

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Responded to a craigslist ad, cat wanted 3500 for this burnt coupe with a Mitchell..I replied,offering 1500 for the Mitchell..didn't hear a word,figured I was out. 3 months go by and I get an email from the brother,turns out he was an ex fireman who's house burned to the ground (go figure)..and he offered me the chassis for the 1500 if I took the body off.. took the service truck with a crane and torch,had the roached swiss cheese body on the ground in minutes..waited till i got the chassis home to dance in the street,fresh engine,rebuilt rear axle and trans,f100 steering box,cast iron drums with pro built brakes and the mitchell..

The37Kid likes this.
  20. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

My folks moved to Searsmont, I got sick of seeing the same stuff on the way...
    took a back road , came across a '30 coupe... sitting on the high spot of the side yard...
    old guy about 150 waddles out of the shed with a saucepan filled with eggs... I stopped, asked him about the coupe...
    was his son's, went to korea and didn't come home... people would steal parts from it and he would find replacements and put them on...
    I asked if it might be for sale ?
    he said you stop by from time to time and one of these days he would be gone... you ask my wife i'm sure she would sell it to you...
    couple years later I took the back road, rounded the corner and pow... he had cut a big ol' maple tree, it had spun on the stump and crushed the coupe down to the beltlines...
    I asked if it might be for sale ? he told me to stop by from time to time and one of these days he will be gone... he was sure his wife will give it to me...
    stopped by later, he and the wife were gone... and his grand kids wanted it to be a monument...
    ok with me !
    I have a B and W polaroid somewhere ...

The37Kid, eldiablooxidado and RICH B like this.
  21. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

Tried to buy this NASTY but he kind of likes it... will let me know … he did let me take pix.
    DSCN6440.JPG DSCN6438.JPG DSCN6437.JPG DSCN6436.JPG DSCN6435.JPG DSCN6441.JPG DSCN6439.JPG

22. coupe33

coupe33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Let me know when it is ready for sale! I like old coupes and I looked at your roadster pick up but I like old coupes.

23. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

If he melts I will be using it as coupester parts...
    will try and trade off the windows and roof...
    I don't piece together coupes as there are so many little brackets, garnish, glass/regulators/channels, visor, behind visor, rail gutters and odd shaped wooden blocks that by the time I find all the little stuff the cost makes selling a pieced together coupe at any profit tough...
    everyone wanted it, but expected me to sell it for less than my investment not to mention the shipping cost on all the little trinkets... buyer bitched at everything that was not stock...
    coupesters are not stock from the start... good fit for me.

X-cpe and RICH B like this.
  24. coupe33

coupe33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

How can anybody bitch about a Hot Rod. I like a coupester too but prefer coupes. Your pick up was a bargain. I think you have done a good job saving sheet metal and deserve credit for saving what you can!

sloppy jalopies likes this.
  25. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

"I bought these at an auction twenty years ago. Lord I hope I didn’t pay much for them. I was told they are Model A roadster doors. They need a new home."

I'd be real careful with those. Looks like they have a serious skin disease. Mask up plus gloves when handling them.

26. TheSteamDoc

TheSteamDoc

Introducing the Sloppy Jalopy! A neighbor up the road gave it to my papa. It runs and drives. Not sure how the car lost its body. Tag says 1968.

Attached Files:

27. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

Smitty, you know I could use some parts off of that coupe.

sloppy jalopies likes this.
  28. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

I still have it, but when I welded a junkyard rearend under … they moved it somewhere ? I don't know where or how to find the add... wish I had just left the skids and threw in the rear later ?

29. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

it would help complete at least 2 parts piles I have...
    he had a bad car crash... her insurance is jerking him around … logger, no longer working,
    he may see the coupe as a future project to keep him occupied... hope he calls me !

30. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Flop from Pittsburgh could have that thing running pretty quickly if you kept the tacos comin'. The guy just loves tacos. I wish I could send some Tex-Mex tacos to him from San Antonio. He would pickup sticks and move here.