Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 1939 Ford Tudor Front Shocks

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by ZeGermanHam, May 22, 2020.

1. ZeGermanHam

ZeGermanHam

Hey Folks,

My brother is restoring a '39 Ford Tudor to be a traditional hot rod similar to what our dad drove when he was young. Brother is somewhat new to the early Ford V8 world (as am I), and he had a question about the front shocks. The attached photo is a few years old (frame is now completely restored), but the question is about the origin of the front shocks shown in the photo. We had assumed they were original '39 Ford equipment, but a prominent member of the local Early V8 Ford club said they were not original, and he didn't recognize them as being from something else like a Ford truck from the same period.

I'm assuming it would have originally had lever type shocks like the rear? Anyone recognize what is shown in the photo? Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

those cars were born with lever action shocks, what you have there is an early aftermarket tube shock kit

dana barlow and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. flatford39

flatford39

what Moriarity said.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. ZeGermanHam

ZeGermanHam

Thanks Moriarity. Given that my brother is going for a 50s/60s hot rod vibe (i.e., not 100% original hardware), is there any reason why he shouldn't stick with the tube shock setup? I know when people sometimes modify suspensions it can lead to an undesirable/unsafe outcome. Not sure if this layout falls into that category, or perhaps it's commonly done and a well-established method.

5. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

that setup is perfectly acceptable and was a fairly common modification done back in the day

6. ZeGermanHam

ZeGermanHam

Great, thanks for the info! Much appreciated.

dana barlow and Moriarity like this.
  7. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

Look just like the ones on my old 39. I figured they were an aftermarket piece as they bolt in the same holes where the original lever shocks mounted. Adjustments.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

9. ZeGermanHam

ZeGermanHam

Yep, they definitely look the same as the ones on your old '39. What's odd is that my brother said they have a Ford stamping on them, suggesting they came from another Ford vehicle rather than aftermarket. Not sure if this is actually true, though. I haven't looked at them closely myself.

Yep, it was originally a V8-60 car, but is being modified with a hot-rodded Mercury 59AB engine like was in the '39 my dad drove when he was a kid.

dana barlow likes this.
  10. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have used several sets of those on 40's-believe they may be later Ford as they had a Ford stamp as well. They work fine-better than some of the aftermarket kits. Only issue is that they can contact the inner fender panel and cause front sheet metal alignment issue-have to correct that.We made a 3/8" steel plate to space it out and welded to the bracket bolt area--also shortened a few at top for different shocks--all worked well.

Last edited: May 23, 2020
  11. cs39ford

cs39ford

I got same set up on my 39. They Work well. Been that way since the early 1990s on mine.

12. alchemy

alchemy

I think they may be 1948 Ford parts. Maybe.

13. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep--46-48 I think

lothiandon1940 and Moriarity like this.
  14. 1948 was the first year for the tube shocks. 1946 and 1947 still had the lever shocks. The '48 shock brackets were and easy way of updating older models.

15. ZeGermanHam

ZeGermanHam

Any idea which models? I've been googling stuff like "1948 Ford shock mounts" and nothing shows up in the image results. I'd love to figure out what type of vehicle they came from if they are actually a Ford factory part from later on.

16. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fritz says 48-passenger cars I think-I see them now and then on ebay--they work well-as said , much better than aftermarket in my opinion

17. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

here is a diagram of the shocks and mounts. I am back to thinking that what he has above is aftermarket

Flathead_Shocks_1947-48_Tube.jpg

shock.jpg

18. ZeGermanHam

ZeGermanHam

image.jpg
    Just got a photo from my brother confirming they have a Ford logo and part number, so I guess they aren't aftermarket. That said, they look nothing like the ones you posted above. Peculiar.

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2020
  19. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^ I have never seen this type. The ones I have used only have two mounting holes and line up with stock holes in 40 frame. Also have Ford stamp. These look interesting.

Last edited: May 24, 2020
  20. ZeGermanHam

ZeGermanHam

Not sure if you're referring to my post or Moriarity's. The front shock mounts on my brothers have two bolts and appear to use the stock holes on my brother's V8-60 frame.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 24, 2020
  21. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

hmmmm interesting.....

22. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was referring to Moriarity's post above. The ones you show I have used a lot. The others I have never seen. Just be aware as I mentioned, they can hit your inner fender panel and throw off front sheet metal alignment-easy fix

Moriarity likes this.
  23. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

the diagram I found and posted was from van pelt sales, the picture was from ebay, so who knows....

olscrounger likes this.
  24. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

25. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Interesting--never seen those-learn something every day-the Ford ones I have used many times on 40's

Moriarity likes this.
  26. tub1

tub1
    from tasmania

They look the same as all Aussie 46/48 Ford's have ,we had tube shocks from 1940

67L36Driver likes this.
  27. Graybeard4545

Graybeard4545
    from Maryland

I have the same set up on my 40 standard. Tube rubs a bit on fender well.

28. 67L36Driver

67L36Driver

‘40 with aftermarket tube shock kit.
    [​IMG]

No idea who made them. No markings. Frame bracket will fit right or left.

Moriarity likes this.
  29. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

Took a closer look at mine. They apparently are aftermarket as there’s no Ford marking on them. Only a part number, L & R IMG_6200.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

30. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

The ones @Moriarity shows are 47-8 factory parts. They won’t clear a 46/ earlier car because the inner fenders for the 7-8 have a different shape with a divot for them.

found that out last fall when I found out they wouldn’t fit my 46’ with out some hammer time.

the ones OP posted as confirmed already are a very common era correct after market part

Moriarity likes this.