Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Question About Shoebox Victoria Roof Change

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by capucapou, May 22, 2020.

1. capucapou

capucapou

Hi, I'm new to the HAMB but found out about it because of my new shoebox project I have taken on. I usually lurk but had a question about a modification for my car that some might find to be a crime. I got a '51 Victoria from some family a little bit ago but I hate the Victoria roof styling, it's like a 50s roof on a 40s car. Since I got it for free and it's missing nearly no parts, it would make sense economically to just change the roof. I really like the Tudor Sedan and I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge of the process of changing a Victoria's roof to another model of shoebox, and maybe an idea of certain issues I might encounter. Thanks! Victoria.jpg

2. Just my thoughts, but I think you're making a mistake.:)

3. The hardtop Victoria is one of the most if not the most desirable of the shoebox Fords. There's some historical significance as well since this was Ford's response to the Chevrolet hardtop that was introduced the year before. Of course it's your car, so build it as you wish.

Hombre, loudbang, Hnstray and 2 others like this.
  4. capucapou

capucapou

See that's my trouble, it's double the value of all other shoeboxes and there are much less Victorias out there. I'm still not sure if I'll end up doing it, but for the mean time I'll humour the possibility.

lothiandon1940 likes this.

5. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

There’s an old English Middle Ages term still used in the South. It’s based on when people were scarred as punishment for crimes.
    “ Cutting of your nose to spite your face.”...

Trying to make a Victoria into a Tudor Sedan is.....cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Victoria’s were coupes not sedans.

Coupes have have different body than sedans.

Coupes have a different body than Victorias. Doors, pillars, lines, ect ect and even frames are different.

The only 49-51 car the Victoria shares attributes with is the 49-51 convertible.

A nick-name for early hardtops was “Hardtop Convertibles. They were not called that for nothing.

With that said, converting a hard top to a convertible is still a big deal and requires convertible specific parts....hard parts to find without having a convertible.

The easy thing to do is sell it and drag home a sedan.

6. Totally different animal. Almost every body panel is different. Find yourself a sedan, should be easy as they are uglier until you chop the top on them. I am sure lots of people would trade a sedan for your vicky.

kidcampbell71, Hombre and loudbang like this.
  7. I agree with the sentiments expressed by some other posters. I would think that you could find somebody who would love to trade their sedan for your Crestliner.

8. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Sell the Victoria and buy a 2 door sedan or coupe. It will be a lot easier and cheaper, your Victoria is worth more anyway, you may even make a little money on the deal, definitely will save a lot of time and money.

9. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

The Victoria was based on the convertible body with a hard top added, the body is very different from a sedan. What you have in mind is possible - anything is possible given enough time and money and talent and parts - but definitely doing things the hard way.

10. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

11. 6sally6

6sally6

Like one of the many iconic lines in National Lampoon Christmas Vacation.........."If I had a rubber hose right now I would...." (The police chief when they raided "sparky's" house)
    Leave that Vickie alone....it didn't do anything to you!!
    6sally6

12. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

He's got a Victoria (2 dr hdtp) not a Crestliner (2 dr sedan with extra side trim and padded vinyl top)

Hombre, loudbang and Hnstray like this.
  13. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I think the Victoria built by @Royalshifter is one of the finest if not THE finest I have ever seen.
    1002669_437103693101809_1576414274248031459_n.jpg

14. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Are you crazy!!?? The '51 Victoria (even though it was a late stop gap to compete with the Chevrolet BelAire 2DHtp) was the best looking of the shoebox Fords. The two door sedans (with their faux rear quarter windows) are among the most awkward looking shoeboxes in existence.

I don't understand your thinking at all. Sorry,

56don likes this.
  15. davidvillajr

davidvillajr

Maybe just plan a chop?

Take a few inches out of the windshield and a few+an other or so out of the rear.

Probably end up with a really nice custom. Probably.

16. capucapou

capucapou

Well thank you all for the responses, the main reason I wanted to change the roof and not just get a different car was that this car has been in my family since it rolled off the assembly line. Really, I won't sell it due to that reason but at the same time, I should just leave it as is, for the same reason.

Also, I guess I was under the impression when thinking up this project that Victorias, bottom of the windows down, were the exact same as any other shoebox coupe. I know based on the shop manuals that the doors are different but not crazy different, sizing is the same I think. I figured I could have cut the top half off of a beat-up Tudor sedan and just drop in on, but the consensus on advice is to not do it and I should probably listen. If I were to turn this car into anything, it should probably be a convertible.

kidcampbell71 and Hombre like this.
  17. leon bee

leon bee

I'm feeling a little better about this.

18. Since it was in your family from the start, why not do it as a mild custom, yet still retaining the Victoria features. It should please members of your family that you are not doing anything radical that can't be changed back, if need be, when it passes to the next generation of your family.

lurker mick and Hombre like this.
  19. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

I would rather have the Victoria , I agree with Rusty. Why cut up something to make it into a more common car.

20. Hellfish

Hellfish

I don't understand why you won't sell/trade it because it's been in your family for so long, but you will change the top to make it look like a completely different car, but still a Shoebox. A mild custom would keep the family look of the car, but improve it and make it your own.

21. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Why don't you turn the fucking thing into a Ford Victoria hardtop and fix it up? Why do you want to make dog food out of a cherry pie? If you want dog food buy fucking dog food.

leon bee likes this.
  22. capucapou

capucapou

Ok. Ok. I'll leave it as a Victoria, maybe I'll sell it but probably not. I'll just have to figure out how to embrace the whole hardtop vibe. To the people who ask why I'd change it but not sell it, in my mind if I changed the roof but not the car it would be the same car. It really isn't but that's where I was thinking

23. We are here for consultation 24/7. :cool:

24. Well right out the Gate I'll tell you I don't think like most on here. Therefore most often I disagree. I'm also a 51 Vicky owner. However I've been a Car builder all my life. If you want change, then by all means Cut It Up. Just be smart about. Do some home work and don't try to fool yourself about things being easy, EVER! If you want to know how much work it will be a good place to start is find someone with a sedan of your liking and have them drive over and push your Body out along side it and just study things. Next is ho talented are you? Are you a Butcher or a Skilled Craftsman? Can you Tig weld and metal finish? Just what are you expectations when finished? If you have to farm out this job, how's your Wallet? If you need to build on a Budget just forget it. If your taking it to any shop take the highest bid and double it and know up front even at that price they won't live up to your vision. In other words Get Real or step back. Another thing, if you have a Wife be up front with her and keep her informed even if she don't want to know, don't try to sell her how small something like this is or cheep it will be. The get real Smart real Fast and it they aren't on board can be the biggest problem of the project. If that happens you get to decide what one of the two your going to live without. Get smart before you grab a sawzall.