Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects DRAG SNAKE "Vintage Terror!"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deuced Up!, Oct 13, 2017.

1. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

He already has lol thanks to some friend of his cluttering up his driveway lol

enloe, loudbang, 64 DODGE 440 and 3 others like this.
  2. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

There is a reason it doesn’t lol now you know it by the way I found a pic yesterday thought I would share the proof lmao there is a pic actually even video so it did happen lmao

[​IMG]

3. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jackson for the last time! I didn't know we were going for the first to the finish line in that race.

tapatalk_1588893464993.jpeg

I am pretty sure we agreed which car could get the most air. And as you can clearly see just before half track the Austin had all FOUR wheels off the ground.

tapatalk_1588893473474.jpeg

I don't even think the old truck got one wheel up so....LMAO!

Sent from my SM-G970U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

kiwijeff, loudbang, Sancho and 4 others like this.
  4. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

loudbang, enloe, Thor1 and 2 others like this.
  5. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

loudbang, enloe, Thor1 and 1 other person like this.
  6. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

I wasn’t you were and your pic proves it lol however I was hauling ass lmao now back to the show lol. Is this thing done yet lol

Deuced Up!, loudbang, enloe and 2 others like this.
  7. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

DragSnakeDECAL.jpg
    I have been playing around with my Clock Art (if you remember it from a while back). Now that we have the paint and graphics nailed down (for this week anyway LMAO) I decided to work on some T-shirt and decal art. Yesteday I kicked out a bunch of decsals.

Sancho, chryslerfan55, Thor1 and 5 others like this.
  8. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well we got up early this morning and knocked all the cured paint down with 600. There were a couple of spots that needed attention from the first round and we wanted to put a few more coats on the whole thing before we start cutting and polishing etc.

20200509_113734.jpeg

Last edited: May 9, 2020
  9. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

10. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Did you use hardener this time?

Thor1, Deuced Up! and loudbang like this.
  11. Your roll bar padding looks like crap! Surely you can do better than that.

12. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Will give him something to read while he is waiting for the Willys to finish its run!!

13. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know right! They don't work worth a darn either.

Thor1, loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  14. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I got a bump last night from a member just checking on us. We are still plugging away. I got my registration in for the HAMB Drags and looking forward to debuting the car there. We are about to start cutting and buffing the body but Dad is still dragging his feet working on the trunk...LOL

Man I tell you, when he is done I am going to put some kind of commemorative graphic on the lid for him because I bet, conservatively he had stripped, filled finished and sealed that thing at least 10 times in the past two weeks. You know fiberglass is notorious for pin holes in paint, especially first time etc.

We actually had none the first round and we are sort of kicking ourselves for stripping the trunk lid back down. But whatever we did in that process unleashed a whole heard of pin holes back there. After the finish and respray they were everywhere. Dad has been chasing them ever since. But I think we are close. We will shoot the trunk again this weekend.

But we have also been playing around a bit with the C600 truck that will one day be the hauler. I decided to start another build thread for it here on the HAMB:
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/drag-snake-hauler-ford-c600.1194128/

15. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Since you are building a racer/part show car/part spl commemorative edition, 2-look paint job(which I like - car will really stand out from other cobras. :D ); might the gold & blue have metalflake in them? I think Roth-style would look really good, & maybe the gold n blue be a little candied? Would really pop over the single-stage Wimbledon White. Or is that just a bit too late in the 60's timeframe?
    BTW; your dad does very nice work.
    Marcus...

16. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Cook dad a big stake, not one of those veggie things. :D

Nostrebor, loudbang, Thor1 and 3 others like this.
  17. AmishMike

AmishMike

Funny - you can cook ( bbq) a steak on a pile of stakes

18. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Spotted these pics on a FB group I'm in and couldn't miss the Cobras. I have no idea what the event was. Maybe you're already familiar with the blue one? FB_IMG_1590416341075.jpeg FB_IMG_1590416343761.jpeg

19. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That was Pebble Beach a few years ago (I think).

This was my driveway a few minutes ago...l

20200525_095052.jpeg

20200525_095117.jpeg

We shoved the Cobra out to do some welding on Zoe's Riviera...(floor pans).

It was so good to see the Cobra out of its hole...lol...that I had to take a couple of photos.

Just Gary, beatnik, Gotgas and 9 others like this.
  20. RmK57

RmK57

The Wimbledon white looks great, nice choice. Anything planned for the stripes?

Deuced Up!, Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  21. Nice !!! Slab side, drag racing Cobras .. so rule. Looks phenomenal in white.

Think the garnet coupe, above .. was the 1963 Shelby Cougar II concept car. One of 2 .. found in a Detroit warehouse. CSX chassis with a fiberglass body. Similarities !!

260, four-speed .. GT two seater, fastback roof, 'pop-up' headlights, & top speed of 170 plus.

Neat lessons learned from the Daytona coupe .. at speed, with air pressure increase .. a hatch opens to bleed off at high speeds.

They built two, & both still survive. Still in a Detroit museum .. together .. or not, maybe .. but 2 of them somewhere.

EDIT : Adding to my possible O/T crime of offense :) --->

https://performance.ford.com/enthus...1/long-lost-1963-_bordinat-cobra-concept.html

Last edited: May 25, 2020
  22. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dad has been cutting and buffing on the Cobra this week. She is really looking nice.

20200528_190543.jpeg

He called me this afternoon to say how good it was looking. He was very proud of it and well he should be. He said the body is basically done and he thought he might start on the trunk and hood.

When I got home a few hours later,, my daughter was sitting on the porch. She said well, you want the good news or bad news and started laughing.

I said about what? She said the Cobra. I said I will take the good. She said the car looks awesome. And the bad?

She laughed and said believe it or not, Grampy dropped the trunk lid again!

20200528_190536.jpeg

And there it is...lol. I have totally lost count of how many times Dad has worked this crazy trunk lid over. For a while he actually had it strapped down to the table.

23. He is obviously looking for job security.:rolleyes:

loudbang, Thor1, Peanut 1959 and 2 others like this.
  24. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

So, then, that's an out-of-the-holeshot, right? tapatalk_1590715963646.jpeg

25. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well I spent the better part of the weekend grinding, cutting and replacing floor pans in my daughter's just barely off topic Riviera. That is a dirty nasty job! Meanwhile Dad kept at the Cobra on the other side of the shop (or at least kept at the trunk)! LOL.

I decided I better install the hood before something stupid happened to it, leaning up against the wall etc. So we got our first peak at how she is going to wear her color etc. I am really happy with it.

Resized_20200530_190322.jpeg
    So that night having an actually photo of the car all the correct color to play with, I decided to photoshop the graphics on it again. If you remember when we last visited this subject the plan was a complete side graphic (nearly a panel style paint job) with metallic gold on one side and metallic blue on the other. Then do both the Cobra graphic on the sides in gold leaf.

So that is what I was doing, sort of flipping back and forth from Gold to Blue and adjusting the colors to get them as close as I could. Then I accidentally clicked both the side panel colors off at the same time and there sat the Wimbledon White Cobra with just the graphics on it.

cobra very plain.jpg
    I have to say, for some reason, that really spoke to me. I mean it was simple, it was clean and it just sort of screamed early '60s. Not sure why but there was just something about it...

I brought the computer in and showed Dad. I flipped from the Gold to the Blue a couple of times and he said he liked the gold better. Then I turned them both off and he had the same reaction I did. For me I think it goes back to my favorite car from the movie American Graffiti. I know, in 1962 the Cobra was just about to make its first appearance. So you will certainly not find one in the movie. Everyone probably has a favorite car from the movie, but I bet you would never guess what mine is...

american-graffiti-1973-movie-3-nw.jpg
    There she is...check out the Vette. White with blue lace paint job on the stripe, black vinyl hardtop. Some people have said since it never moved from that spot that it might be a prop car with no engine etc. I don't think so. They have cut the wheel wells and it has some serious meat up under there. My bet...you are looking at the fastest car in the "Valley" right there. It just has an ominous look to it.

I have always loved that car. I watch those scenes of the movie where its parked over and over. Before the Cobra idea sort of evolved after the Austin played the old disappearing trick, that is the car I was going to build. And now looking at the Cobra I get the same feeling. I mean it is white, black vinyl top...so it didn't take me long to drop the same stripe design it.

cobra plain.jpg
    I have to say...I am really digging it! AND just for giggles I put the blue on it too.

PlainCobra Blue.jpg
    It is hard to get the colors exactly correct but both the blue and the gold I have are metallic. I am still toying with it but I think we finally have a winner here. I am not sure which metallic color or if I might give it the old lace effect like the Vette?
    Lace Blue.jpg
    But either way, I think we are finally set on the graphics (I know you have heard that before right?) LOL. But this one sort of kills two birds if you know what I mean. It looks awesome on the Cobra and it sort of fulfills my Graffiti Vette hankerings! LMAO!

kiwijeff, Sancho, loudbang and 5 others like this.
  26. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Why Powered by Holman Moody? I'd put Vintage Terror:)

Thor1 likes this.
  27. I equate a blue Cobra with an early Ford with a SBC. Everyone has one. You are really bucking the system with white. Last of the originators. Good work!

28. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

I can not believe I am saying this , but taking in account you have the black top I think I like the gold better. Gold is really towards the bottom of my favorite color list! With the gold leaf and black outline on the lettering the blue seems out of place with a black top. If I was building the car I would do the white and blue , but with a white top. Photo shop the black top on the white and blue version because I really want to be wrong about this "GOLD" thing lol Larry

29. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

To complement the wide center faded-lace stripe in blue, do the thin stripes in gold w/a thin faded lace, to tie into the gold leaf body sides.
    Marcus...

Deuced Up!, Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  30. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

You guys are killing it.

I am getting seriously concerned that the trunk lid will go flying on your first pass down the track, just because it seems determined to not be a part of the build. Keep a close eye on that one!:D