Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Help! I've been offered (maybe) a hell of a trade for my 55 Chevy Gasser.....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mr. Sinister, May 22, 2020.

1. saltracer219

saltracer219

It would be easier to put floor pans and rockers in your car than undoing all of the pro street stuff in his. Those care are not that tough to put floor pans in. I really like your 55 and I am also sentimental so I would keep your car, it is timeless.

427 sleeper, rbrewer, Hnstray and 2 others like this.
  2. If you would change his car to be more like yours, then whats the point? Keep yours, if you like a blower, modify the car you have.

3. That for the car trade or tripower setup for bench seats trade?

Thor1 likes this.
  4. 1934coupe

1934coupe

This says it all! Keep yours, I've been where you are only my trade was money, well the money is gone and car is gone. All I got is "I had a" bullshit talk.

Pat

Thor1 and Mr. Sinister like this.
  5. trollst

trollst

Well, I got a 36 ford pickup, twenty years old this year, paint is fading, truck needs a going over, been offered several times to sell it, trade it, and nearly did......for a real nice 40 ford coupe. I thought hard over the course of a couple weeks, and didn't do it. Best decision I ever made. You said in your original post that this car is "your car" has a family connection, and that alone is enough to keep it.
    My truck is unmistakably mine, built by me for me and has my character all over it, the 40 would have been just a car for me, but after just coming in from my shop, I look at mary with great affection, I know her inside out. From the internal engine noises when idling, to the fading paint, it's been part of me a long time, and I'd have regretted letting her go in a trade. You will too. LeRoy.

arkiehotrods, Thor1 and Mr. Sinister like this.
  6. clem

clem

Here’s your answer.....
    It will never be your car, - it will always be the car your friend built.

( I didn’t read every one else’s comments, so apologies if I’m repeating what others have said ).

7. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Pro street look is dated, really and Traditional hotrods and customs aren't? Just imagine taking that pro street car, radiusing the rear openings and moving the tires out some, change the whole look? But thats my eyes not my want.

Thor1, saltracer219 and Mr. Sinister like this.
  8. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

I happen to have a deep affection to the Bowtie dash and the shaded-tinted front glass.
    After you find a good deal on a blower set up, you'll be happy to tackle that mess downstairs. Just start a savings plan, every paycheck, you'll get there.:cool:

Mr. Sinister and Thor1 like this.
  9. OLSKOOL57

OLSKOOL57

What He Just Said !!!!

Mr. Sinister likes this.
  10. belair

belair

I'm late to the party, but stand pat. Who wants an old pro street car? Yours has a story and a personality.

Mr. Sinister, arkiehotrods and Thor1 like this.
  11. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Keep your car along with the memories of your Dad! What's not to like about your car? The rockers and floors? That's not anything 'wrong' with your car, it's just stuff you haven't done yet and IMHO, really not a legit reason to trade away the car. They're not that technical, just a bunch of labor.
    I'm with the crowd that you can do your floors, rockers and add a blower with far less money and work than un Pro streeting, adding an interior, etc to the other car. Also, that super hot engine may be a temperamental bitch that ends up being a major league PITA to keep in tune.

12. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Take a deep breath. Think about it for a week or two, then decide. A lot of things are not so rosy as they seem at first.

13. This is great advice :rolleyes:

14. southcross2631

southcross2631

Let's see rocker replace one days work. Total floor pan replace One weekend work .
    Can you do the work yourself ? Save for the new paint job.
    Getting rid of the Pro street look could take months of work and many dollars. You could just cut it all out and sell the narrowed rear and 4 link setup. Still you built your car , just keep building it. If you want a blower then start saving for that after you finish the body on your car.
    I build cars to sell so there is no emotional attachment. When one is done and gone I build my next favorite car.

15. 40ragtopdown

40ragtopdown

A car you can drive every day or a car you can't. I would keep your car it has roots.

Thor1, Mr. Sinister and 427 sleeper like this.
  16. ***Area-51***

***Area-51***
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Ohio

take a step back and a deep breath, turn and walk away....you will not regret later....

17. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Keep your car. You'll regret it if you don't.

18. 392

I’m with the majority and say keep ride you have.

427 sleeper, Thor1 and Mr. Sinister like this.
  19. If the 2 cars were sitting side by side, i would walk over to look at your car every time. And i wouldn't trade for a car just to change it to the car that i already have. Put the work into your car, it has history with you. :)

20. Comes with a 2X Hawaiian shirt and gold chain.

Last edited: May 23, 2020
  21. And khaki shorts.
    That made me laugh.

Thanks everybody, my car is staying put.

Sent from my KFSUWI using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

427 sleeper, Thor1, 41rodderz and 6 others like this.
  22. -Brent-

-Brent-

There's a reason WHY he'd like to trade for yours. Consider that.

23. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

Man, don’t want to sound like a broken record here, but keep yours man.

Maybe in thirty years pro street will be a thing again( I pray not).

You got a good thing there and the connection with you father only make it more imperative not to trade.

427 sleeper, Mr. Sinister and Thor1 like this.
  24. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

I’m quite glad you’re hanging on to it sir!

427 sleeper, Mr. Sinister and Thor1 like this.
  25. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow! Three pages of opinions on the HAMB and we are all in agreement on this one? We should send ol Beelzebub a HAMB hoodie for those cold nights!

Glad you are staying with your car! It is the right call.

26. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Yeh, what y'all said.
    Mr Sinister
    Sounds like you are generally happy with your car so here is a thought.
    Incorporate the best of what you like about his car into your car to achieve what you believe is the perfect 55 Chevy (I have my own ideas).

Mr. Sinister, Thor1 and -Brent- like this.
  27. SDhotrod

SDhotrod

Don't forget the white, New Balance tennis shoes...

Glad you're hangin' on to your car OP.

Mr. Sinister and Thor1 like this.
  28. That's a fact, when I purchased my friends '50 Ford coupe to help him out after he suffered a sever stroke almost every time I drove the car I was ask is that car that belong to Rene'.

No matter what I did to the car it would always be Rene's old car.

One of the main reasons I sold it. HRP

Mr. Sinister, Thor1 and clem like this.
  29. 4274SPEED

4274SPEED

Tripower trade sounds like a no brainer. Glad to hear your keeping your car. Can’t replace your memories. Agree the other one would need too much.

Mr. Sinister likes this.
  30. 15 yrs ownership, built with help from your passed on father, places your car in the family heirloom category.
    Keeping your car in your families ownership is the right choice.
    Nice car.

Mr. Sinister, Thor1 and clem like this.