Register now to get rid of these ads!

Do all that don’t do at all

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by flyin flattie, May 14, 2020.

1. flyin flattie

flyin flattie
    from Redmond OR

IMG_0655.JPG IMG_0653.JPG IMG_0656.JPG

Ok so I got this awesome machine a few months back and I decided to get a VFD for it to try and get it going since I don’t have 3 phase power in the shop. I plan on eliminating the variable belt speed and simply using the vfd to change speed. My question is is this the right motor for this machine?

The plate on in the top cover says 3,550 for variable transmission and motor to variable says 3330 and my motor says 1750 rpm. I feel like a different 3 phase motor with a 3,600 and up rpm range is needed to meet what it says it needs.

The vfd works and the motor seems to be running full speed but it was slow and something would keep popping like it had an internal clutch in the case that transfers the power from belt to band saw blade.

I tryed different size pullies from what came on the motor ( small) to a 4.5 then a 7” and it seemed to help gain proper speed but the damn clutch thing kept popping as soon as I start to make traction on a cut.

Please any adobe would help the VFD is rated for a 3 hp 3 phase motor and has 220 single phase going into it so I can change to a different motor. I just need a simple answer as to why it ain’t working.

Thank you Tim

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Okie Pete likes this.
  2. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^^Every power plant I worked had one....blade welder and all. A fantastic tool unless some dipshit screwed it up. ^^^^

3. khead47

khead47

Had one at the FoMoCo Lab I worked at. Cut up a lot of sheet metal in " Burn " mode. Blade speed over 5000 fpm ! Damned scary, and LOUD !

4. Hyvolt

Hyvolt

Not an expert, but have done some of this type work before. I would definitely get a 3600 rpm motor first, then use the vfd to slow it down or speed it up. The original set up was based on the listed motor speed. A motor not design for vfd will work but life is not as long due to cooling issues as I understand. I use Amazon vfd on a 3 phase 2 horse belt sander I it's great.

Sent from my LM-V405 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app