Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Radiator dilemma for 59 Chevy truck. Aluminum or stock?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Poppinjohnnies, May 21, 2020.

1. Poppinjohnnies

Poppinjohnnies

My '59 was getting a little hot the other day. When I drained it last night I noticed that it had some crud in the tubes, so I decided to pull the radiator to take it to the shop. My question is, do I bother with spending money to have a 60 year old radiator cleaned out, or should I opt for a new aluminum one? The truck has a 383 SBC / TH 400 with a 16" electric fan (puller).

2. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Personally I'm not a fan of aluminum radiators, but I admit the price is attractive. Still, depending on the condition & extent or service or repairs needed I'd rather put the money into the original radiator; or opt for a new brass/copper one.

3. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like and continue to use brass/copper radiators. I blame today's fuel for most of the heating problems today. If you do not have a good designed or the original shroud consider installing one. Speedway had them for most radiators demensions. We just installed one on a stock 40 Chevrolet with a hopped up 302 GMC and a 15" 4 blade fan and it runs and stays right on the thermostat temp. 44827BEB-7625-4F66-8EAF-01C4DF5FD24E.jpeg C69B5D28-41BD-4505-9D5D-5D16FB71D293.jpeg

Last edited: May 21, 2020
  4. I would give the OG one a try. If it checks out and holds pressure you should be good to go. I do not like using electric fans as a primary fan. Try a solid one with a shroud first.

Poppinjohnnies likes this.

5. squirrel

squirrel

First, see what the shop says. If it's the original core in that radiator, they probably will not want to try to fix it, because they've been difficult to work on for decades (they used the same type of core that was used in heater cores, made with two formed plates soldered together at the edges, which is mostly impossible to repair). If it's been recored with a tube and fin core at some time, then they might be able to rod it. Expect the bill to be about the same as if you bought a cheap new aluminum radiator. but the cheap new aluminum won't fit the same, and you may or may not like how it looks.

Poppinjohnnies and 1934coupe like this.
  6. Poppinjohnnies

Poppinjohnnies

Thanks. I love the old GMC 6 cylinders!

jimmy six likes this.
  7. I agree with the guys that suggest keeping the copper/brass radiator, it will outlast a cheap aluminum radiator. HRP

8. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

I'd try a good flushing the whole system with vinegar first.

9. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

I'm taking the 35 year old Walker radiator off my 29 Model A any taking it to have a leak repaired, bought a Brassworks for my flathead powered V8 A. I like the copper radiators and would have the stock radiator cleaned and checked, if it isn't repairable then worry about what to replace it with.

10. Poppinjohnnies

Poppinjohnnies

Update: I had the stock radiator rebuilt. Luckily, the core was still good. I installed a dual electric fan (90s Mustang, I think) and made mounting brackets out of a couple of old license plates. So far, so good. Seems to keep its cool in 90 degree weather.

squirrel likes this.
  11. Gman0046

Gman0046

Copper/brass radiators have a greater cooling coefficient then aluminum. Why use aluminum?

12. birdman1

birdman1

I seriously doubt there's that much difference between copper and aluminum cooling coefficient. Every race radiator made is aluminum.

13. Gman0046

Gman0046

Race cars use aluminum because they are lighter weight not because they cool better.

14. phat rat

phat rat

I'm not positive but I think all new cars/trucks run aluminum radiators.

15. squirrel

squirrel

Yup, they all do. With plastic tanks. They are less expensive to make, and they cool just fine, if they're big enough. If you look at the radiator in a new pickup, compared to an old pickup, the new ones are about twice the size....they finally figured that out.

16. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

It is a lot more involved than just comparing the thermal conductivity of the materials used. Yes, it's true that copper, not brass, has about double the thermal conductivity of aluminum. Aluminum has about double that of brass. It has more to do with the design of the core rows and the number of fins per inch in actually being able to shed heat than the material used alone. With that, aluminum is about the same, if not marginally better, at cooling than a brass/copper radiator. Where the aluminum radiator wins is in price and savings of weight.

https://www.hotrodhotline.com/content/aluminum-vs-copper-brass-article-us-radiator#.Xy2LTi2ZNp8

17. phat rat

phat rat

57 you'd be surprise how many people have no idea about fin count. I just replaced the radiator in my OT truck. The one the radiator shop got for me was 16 fins pi the one being replaced was 18 pi. I finally found a supplier that had 18 pi. The difference between the two was over 7,000 fins, that's quite a difference in cooling ability

57JoeFoMoPar likes this.
  18. late 47-early 55 Chevy truck radiators fit real well in the Task Force Chevs,just need 2 simple plates bolted to the radiator and then to the 55-9 core support, (these radiators are just a tad narrower than 55-9's
    55 pu build 009.jpg

19. Cheap aluminum radiators are just that....cheap. Some are thin and crack at stress points, some leak at seams fairly quickly, but all look bad to me. I always try to go with stock or stock tanks at least, a good re-core will last a very long time if cared for properly.

Gman0046 likes this.