Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Southeast Gasser 65 Comet Super Stock Wagon

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by southcross2631, Jan 19, 2020.

1. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I figured that was going to happen. Maybe I’ll get to see you in June if I get to go to the race.

Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  2. southcross2631

southcross2631

Got the seats and my seat belt bar in today. I left enough room for a taller driver in case I decide to sell the car or I find a driver who can bring in some sponsor money.
    Dollars drive race cars not race car drivers.

catdad49, enloe, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  3. southcross2631

southcross2631

Forgot to post the picture. Sorry. DSCF3660.JPG

catdad49, Dog_Patch, brianf31 and 9 others like this.
  4. 6sally6

6sally6

:cool::cool::cool: UR making some serious progress!! Roll on!!
    6sally6

Catchy front door lock BTW!!:p

Last edited: May 1, 2020
    Thor1 likes this.
  5. southcross2631

southcross2631

That keeps my hood from blowing away in the wind. Besides that I took the roof rack off and I filled the roof holes with silicone until I get around to welding up the holes. The hood keeps the rain off the holes. This is a true driveway build. It will be painted right there too.

catdad49, 41rodderz, Randall and 5 others like this.
  6. southcross2631

southcross2631

I got some more bars in and was making good progress before I got talked into changing a starter on a grand daughters O/T ford Escape. Now I know why I retired. Next I have to change the alternator.
    Have to pull the C/V axle to change the alternator ?
    What a piece of shit. Front engine rear wheel drive is all I will ever drive. Maybe a rear engine car like a Corvair or VW . DSCF3661.JPG DSCF3662.JPG

catdad49, Dog_Patch, brianf31 and 8 others like this.
  7. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mike,

Are your roll bar plates welded to the floor? Don't they typically pass through the floor and get welded to the frame?

loudbang likes this.
  8. southcross2631

southcross2631

The plates are welded to the frame channels and then to the fender wells in the back and the main hoop plates are welded to the floors and the rockers that are welded to roll bar tubing that run from the subframe connectors to the rockers .
    The short bars go to the subframe connectors. See the hole in the floor where the bar will go to the subframe connector when I get that side done.
    Remember this is a unibody car with no frame in the middle. It has one now though.

catdad49, brEad, AHotRod and 3 others like this.
  9. southcross2631

southcross2631

Got everything that wasn't needed out from under the dash. the wiper motor , heater controls , emergency brake handle. Mounted my MSD box out of sight just like the rules say.
    Started the transformation from blue to black by painting the dash. Eventually it will be all black with gray carpet and an off white headliner. DSCF3663.JPG

catdad49, Dog_Patch, brianf31 and 8 others like this.
  10. southcross2631

southcross2631

Got most of the interior metal painted black. Got sick of doing that today so I loaded up all of the old Comet parts and took it to the land fill. I tried to give them away and nobody wanted them so they had to go.
    Got my engine frame mounts painted and installed.
    Got one of my door bars made and tacked in . I put a bend in them because I am old and didn't feel like climbing over a door bar. A roll bar is not required so I am actually going way past what is required anyway. I got out my handy dandy Harbor freight bender and even showed my wife how to figure the bends.
    I also started on the remote shut off bracket mount combo battery box that will go in the spare tire well. DSCF3667.JPG DSCF3664.JPG

enloe, catdad49, Dog_Patch and 9 others like this.
  11. southcross2631

southcross2631

Correction on the bender. I bought it so long ago I forgot that I got that from Speedway.

enloe, catdad49, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  12. southcross2631

southcross2631

Got the rear end out over the weekend and working on the 5 lug conversion for the front end.
    Will try and get some photos up today.

enloe, catdad49, brEad and 3 others like this.
  13. southcross2631

southcross2631

It rained almost all day today so I had to work inside of the car. I got my battery box and battery cut off switch installed and started running wires.
    It was not raining under the car so I could get the bolts tightened up and was able to check off one more item today. Sorry about the dark picture. My flash didn't work. DSCF3669.JPG

enloe, catdad49, Dog_Patch and 8 others like this.
  14. You’re making good progress! I can’t wait to see this done!

enloe likes this.
  15. loudbang

loudbang

Let there be light :) Bet you didn't know I can provide sunshine even in the rain :rolleyes:

1a.jpg

enloe, catdad49, Dog_Patch and 8 others like this.
  16. southcross2631

southcross2631

Thanks Loudbang ! I took some more pictures today. got my cable run to the front.
    Spent most of the day removing 55 years of Ga dirt from under the car. Getting ready to do some final welding on the under side so I can seal and paint the bottom side of the car.
    I have the leaf springs out. Making some clamps for the front half of the springs. DSCF3670.JPG DSCF3672.JPG DSCF3671.JPG

enloe, AHotRod, catdad49 and 7 others like this.
  17. colbyw

colbyw

Looks good! Great progress. Will you be dropping the engine in soon?

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  18. southcross2631

southcross2631

I am waiting for my input shaft so I can bolt up everything and make sure everything fits up before it gets installed.
    The shaft is ready and to be shipped.

19. southcross2631

southcross2631

I would like one of the photo shop experts on here to see what my car will look like if I painted the roof to match the checkerboard of the univ. of Tn. end zone and the car will be white with a Tn orange stripe on the side in the cove. The car will be called the Tenn. Thunder Wagon . It will have a Thunderbolt tear drop on the hood.
    thanks to you photo shop folks. I am not computer savvy enough to do this.

enloe, catdad49, Thor1 and 1 other person like this.
  20. southcross2631

southcross2631

My input shaft shipped today ! Got my fuel cell bolted in and got my fuel pump mounted and wired.
    Put my relay in the spare tire well along side my battery and cut off switch.
    Talked my wife to help me start to strip off some off the layers off bad paint. Then I started welding up the roof rack holes. DSCF3673.JPG

enloe, AHotRod, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  21. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

There is where you got me beat . The better half always comes up with “honey do “ projects and slowing progress on “Elsie”. Really like the side bars you bent :cool:

22. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Looks like a happy feed to the pump.

enloe, loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  23. southcross2631

southcross2631

I can not say enough good things about my wife when it comes to helping me on my car.
    she just worked 2 weeks at the golf course and went straight to the bank and put her check in my race car account so I could pay Liberty for my transmission parts. She only asked for enough money to get her nails done. Fair trade for me.
    It's great to have a wife that would just as soon go sit in the stands at a dirt track on Saturday night and eat track food . Than go to a fancy restaurant and eat steak. She says my steaks taste better when I cook them anyway.
    It took me 4 tries to get the right wife and I wouldn't trade her for anyone. Our anniversary is Monday and she wants to play golf. Life is good.

24. Great progress!

enloe, loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  25. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Happy anniversary! A good rule of thumb for presents for the wife/girl friend has always been "nothing with a plug" but maybe in your case you could sneak in a new angle grinder for her anniversary present? Probably not but???

enloe, 427 sleeper, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  26. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Happy Anniversary, life is great when you've married the right woman!

27. bchctybob

bchctybob

Happy Anniversary! Number 3 was the charm for me. They say the third time is a charm but after two nightmares I figured it’s three strikes and you’re out! At least I did for 29 years. We celebrate 10 years next month!
    You’re making great progress, looking forward to seeing it running.
    Whose cut off switch did you use? I’ve had several of them crap out over the years, even the expensive ones, just curious.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Thor1, loudbang and catdad49 like this.
  28. southcross2631

southcross2631

Thanks . I used the Summit brand switch. This is third one of theirs I have used in a build.
    Summit is a sponsor of the SEGA and we get a 10% discount by entering a code with every order.
    So why wouldn't I be loyal and buy their products.

29. RmK57

RmK57

Curious why you didn't use a swing out bar. The way their curved, in a forward impact the side bars would fold up like a piece of spaghetti. Anyway the cars coming along nicely.

loudbang likes this.
  30. southcross2631

southcross2631

I forgot to post a picture of my switch box I fabbed up today while it was raining and I couldn't get outside to work on the car . It stopped raining long enough today for my wife to get almost half of the
    roof stripped of at least 2 layers of bad paint. I managed to take the pass. rear door apart and fix a dent right on the door handle . Some previous hack body man just filled it with about a quarter inch of bondo. An hour of metal work and making a tool I managed to work it back to where it should be. DSCF3674.JPG

Dog_Patch, Gammz, Crosley and 6 others like this.