Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Ford Clutch linkage

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by mumbles89, May 20, 2020.

1. mumbles89

mumbles89

Does anyone know if they make a clutch linkage kit for hot rods using a ford frame, but has a chevy motor, and muncie transmission?

MIKE STEWART likes this.
  2. Fordors

Fordors

1703BED8-C182-462D-8747-B22FD4644357.jpeg
    Lots of variables there. Chevy blocks will vary as to where 1/2-13 holes are tapped for the clutch ball, and there are some balls that will mount on the bell housing. Then consider the frame you are working with, looking at your avatar I see you might have a ‘35 Ford. Completely stock frame and original pedals or modified?
    Not the best picture but it shows my channeled ‘32 with a SBC, modified C-3 Corvette Z-bar and the pedal bracket, pedals and connecting linkage fabbed by me. You will be following the same path, it will have to be made to fit your application.

MIKE STEWART, joel and irishsteve like this.
  3. mumbles89

mumbles89

yeah i have a 35 ford with a sb 350 in it its the original pedals with the balls that mount on the frame and the bell housing . they lined up evenly. i was thinking i was going to have to fabricate my own. what ends did you use to connect to the throw out arm and to the clutch pedal? i was thinking of using a threaded with an female eyelet connecting to the swivel arms but im not sure how well the threaded rod will hold up.

Graybeard4545 likes this.
  4. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

5. Graybeard4545

Graybeard4545
    from Maryland

I did the same swap in my 40 standard, sbc, Muncie. I used a Chevelle Z-bar cut down 2.25 inches and used the ball hole on the block that is closer to the front. I made a frame mount for the ball on the other side. I also used the Chevelle fork and made the link from the Z bar to fork, just modified the Chevelle link. I was able to off set the rod from the peddle to the Z bar a bit to clear the steering shaft and used a solid 1/2 rod and welded grade 8 bolts to either end to put the adjuster and clevis on. My 40 had juice brakes so the brake hook up was fine, clutch peddle needed some modification. I raised the hole for the rod up an inch to get proper geometry. You may not have that issue with your peddles.
    The clutch fork needs to move an inch to 1.25 to work. If you end up with more just take it out with added toe play.

MIKE STEWART and joel like this.
  6. Mumbles, I used a 40 pedal assembly in my 36 and modified a Z bar from MAYBE a 70s Camaro. I have drawings with measurements and an article from Street Rodder from years back detailing how to use a 39 pedal assembly to accomplish the clutch linkage in an easier fashion. I’ll scan them and send them to you in a PM if you want. Mitch.

MIKE STEWART likes this.
  7. mumbles89

mumbles89

Mitch that would be great to see what you came up with

MIKE STEWART likes this.
  8. mumbles89

mumbles89

Thanks for the insight Greybeard. ill have to see if that could be something that i could replicate for my application.

MIKE STEWART and Graybeard4545 like this.
  9. I built mine similar to So Cal's, I'm using a Hemi in a 32 Ford with a M20 Muncie.

Clutch Linkage, Lincoln Brakes 010 (Medium) (Medium).jpg

10. MIKE STEWART

MIKE STEWART

I would also love to see the 39 petal layout to Muncie 4 speed

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. Maybe some have seen this but for those who haven't,,,HERE WE GO!! OH, its shown with a Top Loader but the concept is the same..I was planning to convert my 36 from a 40 pedal with Z bar to this 39 set up but alas I sold her. Mitch 001.jpg 002.jpg 003.jpg 004.jpg 005.jpg 006.jpg

Last edited: May 23, 2020
    Graybeard4545 and MIKE STEWART like this.
  12. MIKE STEWART

MIKE STEWART

Thanks again Mitch - I did not have Street Rodder Magazines back to this date. I have both Frank Oddo's books and he mentions this modification - but not much detail information like this.