Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Starter button wiring

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by topher5150, May 21, 2020.

1. topher5150

topher5150

I don't know what the technical term is but someone mentioned using a starting button. Do I just run the two wires to the starter relay?

Sent from my moto z4 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. squirrel

squirrel

Might depend what kind of starter it is, and what kind of relay it is, etc. I expect someone knows the answers to these questions from reading all your other threads, but not all of us do.

41rodderz and firstinsteele like this.
  3. rusty valley

rusty valley

some starter buttons ground the circuit to the solenoid, some send power to it. what do you have?

4. JUSTIN PERSINGER

JUSTIN PERSINGER

In order to start your vehicle, you will still have to a switched 12V power to your ignition. Either with the ignition switch, toggle switch or whatever you want.
    As far as the starter button, you can really use any Normally open momentary contact button.
    You can set it up for a push button or a pull switch and if you run this to a starter relay you can pretty much use anything. This is because the relay will take the amp load not the button.
    In my old 1930 model A roadster I just had a pull lever on a spring that when I pulled it I engaged a set of contacts that enabled the starter solenoid.

Sent from my XP8800 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. klawockvet

klawockvet
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fords in the later thirties and forties were 6 volt and had starter buttons. The used a solenoid between the battery and starter. The solenoid was activated by a button that connected to ground. Most of the later cars and set ups use a 12 volts system. If you want to use a switch and starter button that looks like the early systems you need a solenoid that operates by a wire going to ground. My 40 is 12 volt and uses a grounding solenoid so only one wire goes to the button. My Model A is 12 volt and uses a starter button that brings power back to the solenoid requiring two wires. My 47 is stock 6 volt and uses a one wire starter button that goes to ground. Its not rocket science, every combination is possible.

6. topher5150

topher5150

I have nothing. I wanted to rig something up temporarily so I don't fry my ass hot wiring it with a screw driver

7. rusty valley

rusty valley

well, you must have something or you wouldnt be trying to start it! what car ya got? how many volts?

8. squirrel

squirrel

is it a Chevy engine?

9. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Time out . Starter buttons are used on race cars all the time as are toggle switches. Research that on the web . You will uncover diagrams that will show you.

topher5150 likes this.
  10. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Are you talking about the 1947 Ford coupe or something else? Tell the rest of us unwashed what specifics you are working on ?

11. goldmountain

goldmountain

Use a momentary switch to the same contact points you were doing before with your screwdriver.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. topher5150

topher5150

Sorry yes my 47 ford with a 351w

13. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

You probably have a starter relay, just use a momentary push button switch and jump from battery stud to start stud on the relay!

Bones

Last edited: May 21, 2020
  14. squirrel

squirrel

Battery cable connects to one big terminal on the Ford starter relay. Other big terminal connects to the big terminal on the Ford starter (I'm assuming you're using a normal Ford starter that does not have a solenoid can on it). The small S terminal connects to one side of your two terminal push button switch. Connect a smaller wire from the big terminal that the battery cable connects to, to the other side of the push button switch.

push the button, it sends power to the S terminal, which closes the relay, and connects the starter wire to the battery...wah wah wah...

topher5150 likes this.
  15. BLACKNRED

BLACKNRED

He might be using a late model (2016) doo flangy starter button, who knows???

16. rusty valley

rusty valley

early ford starter buttons go to ground. you need one that sends power to signal a modern solenoid.