Register now to get rid of these ads!

HAMB Newbies

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by MyOldBuick, Jul 11, 2006.

1. MyOldBuick

MyOldBuick

After watching someone just get jumped for posting on the ratrod term . . . what about a handy glossary and "cardinal sins to avoid" type thing? Don't shoot the messenger here, but sometimes a new guy's gotta have pretty thick skin to get thru the crap here. Maybe that weeds people out . . . like an initiation. Jeez. :D

2. Redneck Smooth

Redneck Smooth
    from Cincinnati

I figured the big post at the top of the main page that says 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' and took you to the intro forum would be enough. Apparently, I was wrong...

3. MyOldBuick

MyOldBuick

LOL -- yea . . . I got to thinking about that one . . . but apparently it's still not BOLD enough . . . and it still doesn't list out the "oh for cripes sake don't say that" type things.

I edited my last post . . . the intro thing was out of line.

4. I'm torn friend. Sometimes a little drama is cool, and most times a little patience is even more cool.

I think most of us have outgrown the whole ratrod thing and a friendly reminder about intro isn't that much work.

it seems like there used to be a section about all that and no one ever paid any attention to it. I on the other hand cam on board before all that and it took me quite awhile to figure out the whole intro thing. I don't recall getting rheemed but sometimes the simple shit gets past me. Such is life i guess.

5. hot rod pro

hot rod pro
    from spring tx.

when i started i got reamed about my hamb name,as i thought i was going to,but i'm still here.

the saying,"if you can't take the heat stay out of the kitchen!",should be the motto of this place.

it would be nice to have a glossary of terms.

-danny

6. Redneck Smooth

Redneck Smooth
    from Cincinnati

I know what you mean. I cringe whenever some wide-eyed young dude gets on here excited about 'rat rods' and so forth, but their excitement about this stuff is usually genuine and if you hip them to the 'traditional hotrod' roots of their 'rat rod scene', they generally can see that this is something much older and cooler than the general public has any concept of. Sure, we're gonna have to spend time explaining how bondo is not a 'protective layer' and how iron crosses might not make the best gussets, but if they're genuinely interested in this stuff - they're a step ahead. A lot of these guys would be driving a Honda with a wing and listening to techno if they followed the lead of their friends...

7. MyOldBuick

MyOldBuick

Amen -- that's what I've been trying to bring out a bit here and there. I don't want to be the new drama queen here, so maybe I should keep my keyboard shut. I don't know . . . but helping guys out and channeling (no pun intended) our auto enthusiasm can be a great thing. I just wear flame retardant pants . . . and try not to pump gas on my balls.

8. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

When I got here, I was a bit in awe, so I kept my mouth shut...well mostly....and read a while.

IF all the newbies did that AS IS SUGGESTED in the lead-in screens, no-one would need asbestos shorts.

If a newbie cannot follow simple directions, we need to hand them their head a couple of times.

'Sides...kicking puppies CAN be fun if done with flair and wit.

Glenn

9. Redneck Smooth

Redneck Smooth
    from Cincinnati

I agree. I actually came here cuz I was into 50s cars, so I missed out on the whole ratrod thing, but I had my head far up my ass just the same. Luckily, I'd been around enough to know to shutup when someone who knows what they're doing starts talking and did that. Newbies just need to exhaust the search function on here, every question's been answered already...

10. Vance

Vance
    from N/A

So maybe Ryan should set it up so everyone has to go thru a main page where we have to login each time and the server can determine whether or not that person has done an intro at which point those who haven't must do so before going any further. And those who have can continue to the main board. Yeah, that sounds practical. Better yet, someone call a Congressman and get them on board. See where this could go real quick?

How about we just leave it the way it is and those who can't seem to follow simple rules get publicly humiliated for it. They'll learn or leave. That's called fleecing of the flock and I'm a big fan of it.

Look at that humiliation as a rite of passage. If you're smart enough to read the rules and abide by them, (it's not like there are that many anyway) you'll be good, if not, you feel like some one sat you down behind the monthly gathering of the Flaming Idiots CC. And you'll learn from it or leave.

Normally I feel like apologizing for sounding a little harsh, but not this time. People need to wise up, look around, think and follow simple rules set forth. It’s not that tough, Hell even I can do it. I even went so far as to re-post my intro because it got lost during one of the server changes a while back and didn’t want to get flamed for not having one out there.

I look at this website a lot like CB radios. If you go out and buy your first one and start talking right away, the truckers will know it and ignore you. If you sit back, listen and learn how things are done and then start talking, the truckers will treat you as an equal. Then you'll be able to ask where the bears are and get reliable responses . Sounds like a goofy analogy, but it makes sense.

Vance

11. Redneck Smooth

Redneck Smooth
    from Cincinnati

And if someone can't take a little internet dressing down without getting their feelings hurt and walking away for good, they prolly weren't that into this shit anyhow. It's not like there's a more complete source anywhere in the world for this stuff...

12. Still think the guy is a troll cuz he was alerted to the "ratrod" deal on his intro post. Then he starts a 3 page thread about "ratrods."

13. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

You shoulda been here three-four years ago if you think it's bad now...most of the intros were done on the Main Page...there was no HAMB intro page...sometimes it got downright nasty/bloody and hateful.

The intro page was Ryan's way of easing the entry...but there are some Newbies that cannot read...don't understand instructions or refuse to even consider it.

R-

14. MyOldBuick

MyOldBuick

The first page on the site is Ryan's latest blurb stuff . . . maybe it should be the about us page and a link to the READ THIS FIRST page and then from there you could get to the join link? It would flow a bit instead of just allowing people to jump on in feet (typically head) first. I dunno . . . just thinkin' out loud . . . in the box . . .

(I don't know how many of us use the front page to get to the forum anyway, I've got the RSS feed and jump right to the latest/greatest stuff. It's Ryan's place though.)

15. 64deville

64deville

I did an intro a long time ago and stayed back and read and kind of got what the whole thing was all about.

Havn't been reemed too hard about anything yet and do my best to follow the rules and be respectful.

I think if newbies come in here and start firing off non-related posts and replies w/out figuring out what the HAMB is all about deserve what they get. I come here to talk about pre 64 cars, customs and related material. I have late 60's stuff but I won't mention it here unless it is obviously very related to the theme and purpose of the board.

Consider it HAMB hazing if you get way off topic. If you decide you want to continue to post and reply on relevant topics welcome to it. If you you got your feelings hurt and hate the HAMB see ya later.

16. Gator

Gator

On the forums front page there is a seperate "New to the Hamb? Introduce yourself here" heading.

I say if guys would READ a little while first, even a few pages - it would prevent a lot of humilitation. Like Jim Morrison said, " took a look around see which way the wind blows"

Seriously, if a guy spent 5 minutes and did a search with the terms 'rat rod, volksrod, VW or toyota hemi' in it he'd see pretty quick what the concensus was on those topics.

Then again there are a lot of guys in the world who don't think rules and guidelines apply to them anyway. Of course I did ask about a fiberglass I'd found. I thought my question was different though. :eek:

17. If you think it's bad now,,,,,you should have been here a few years ago,,,

My suggestion is to read the rules,,,,,and don't start drama,,,at least not right outta the gate!,,,HRP

18. Maybe we should all join hands and sing songs with the FNG's til they feel all warm and fuzzy.:rolleyes:

Fuckum, say stupid shit, somebody's gonna call you on it.

19. Stupid shit stupid shit stupid shit. Say that 3 times fast.:D

I don't think we need to drive folks away but in the same breath as has been said before " We're a bunch of hoodlums." I guess we don't have to act like 3rd grade dropouts but I kinda like folks that are a little rough around the edges.

I had to laugh my brother was here with my niece about a month ago, I mentioned that someone was a Muther f#@$%! and she said Dad he said Muther f#@$%!. He smiled and said "well honey that's just your uncle ben he's always been like that."

Bottom line is we are what we are.

20. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

If it ain't broke, don't fix it...

21. v8_ranch

v8_ranch

If I may interject a newbies perspective, only having posted in the last couple of weeks (I had lurked for some time prior):

Yeah, I did the intro thing - and got mildly reamed becase I thought hotrodding was hotrodding (make the best out of what you have or can find- fabricate the rest). I guess I thought I was trying to approach it from more of a philosophical than historical standpoint. Honestly, I got a little miffed at first when I got lambasted for talking about hotrodding my 1991 Ford Ranger (at least part of it anyway). For what it's worth, it really does not say anything about your mission on the site as it relates to strictly pre-64 parts being used. I looked again, and maybe I missed it. If I did, I'm sorry and forget what I just said. But, in my opinion (as a NEWBIE), a lot of what you guys are talking about could be eliminated if the pre-64 deal was empasized a little stronger in the intro page. Still there will be guys that don't get it even then. Bash away...

But, I will tell you guys this: You are some of the smartest cats I have ever read. I mean that sincerely. I wish I had half the knowledge a lot of you have. Because of that, I will stick around here like the stupid little puppy that just got kicked looking for another treat; hoping that you will be patient with a question from time to time about how things are done - not necessarily what they are done on.

Just a newbies 2 cents...

22. Vance

Vance
    from N/A

That's pretty much what I said. I just used a lot more words.

Leave it as it is and the people who need this, (for whatever reason) will stay and thrive and the rest will go away and die, a lonely broken soul no doubt.

Don't fix it, just make it faster and louder...

Vance

23. PDX Lefty

PDX Lefty

That is what came to my mind!!! It is now a much tamer HAMB.
    Besides some folks won't read rules or sit on the side line watching to see how thins work reguardless what you do.

24. MyOldBuick

MyOldBuick

Yea -- I was replying to your post there 4Banger when they were kickin' you when you were down . . . . then my post got nixed. Journalistic integrity my ass. Anyway, I'd say wait around for someone to ditch a project cheap (they seem to last a while for 15K visitors) and slide your Ranger frame/tranny/engine under it, or ditch it for $$ . . . either way go have fun.

Like I said . . . it was a suggestion. No harm no foul . . . place is too cool for that.

25. extremist

extremist

26. Rocko

Rocko

I think if you intro yourself in a decent semi-intelligent manner people will see where it is you are really coming from. I think the intro page is fine and good. If someone can't read or get the instructions that it is not only polite but helpful and expected to intro, how much are they really paying attention to any of the H.A.M.B. posts or pages?

as a new member I can say that people on here are genuinely interested in helping/communicating with people who are GENUINELY interested in being on here.

27. Bob13013

Bob13013

Hi, I am the wife of a newbie (?), and I need a glossary of what things mean. The lingo has me stumped. What is a thread? I'm trying to put in an ad, but nothing comes up like that. I need step by step instructions. Could anyone help me?

Thanks,
    Phyl:D

28. Vance

Vance
    from N/A

Phyl, it would prolly be easier and faster for one of your fellow HAMBers who live in the Portland area come over or get you on the phone to answer your increasing battery of questions. Any volunteers out there?

Vance

29. stovbolt

stovbolt

heh think you guy's are slightly entertaining and almost enjoyable about your aproch to newbies i for one don't mind the rat rod guys as long as things are safe and paint shiny or not i enjoy to look at just putting my first coment in since my intro that garnered no replies think you guy's have a good thing going here not the same as the canadian rodder site i go to frequently but interesting any way will spend a lot of time exploring and maby if your lucky i'll join a few subjects here and there i'm too old to get hurt feelings so fire away any time but i'll bet over the years i've had lots of fun with car people old and new even a few vw owners or rat rod guys mucle car guys heh!! think i never found a bad car guy YET newbie or not that from a newbie and a car guy since befor i could drive LEGALLY any way

Al