Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Rubber body liner removal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by topher5150, Apr 1, 2020.

1. topher5150

topher5150

How do get rid of that rubberized crap they put on the inside of these old cars

Sent from my moto z4 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Chavezk21

Chavezk21

I have had good luck with a heat gun and a putty knife.

warbird1 and squirrel like this.
  3. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Good Luck!

There is no easy way. When I peeled the undercoating off the bottom of my Merc Wagon when I restored it, it took a combination of the acytelene torch in one hand and a putty knife in the other. Heat it up, scrape it off with the putty knife. Final clean up was done with a 4.5 in angle grinder with a knotted wire cup brush.

4. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

When I was a youngster, I stripped the undercoating off the bottom side of my ol Dodge Dart. I used my cutting torch turned down pretty low, hold back off of the surface and heat a small area by keeping the torch moving. Then when you could tell it was getting hot, I’d hit the lever and basically it would just blow it off in chunks all the way down to the metal. Yes it was probably dangerous and I know it was painful when a piece would land on you, but as I said, I was a youngster.

5. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

On oem Ford with a hammer bit rattled along the bottom of the floor will release it.

6. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

This is allso asbestos undercoat being removed so take precautions.

alanp561 likes this.
  7. Mattimus

Mattimus

I had great luck using an oscillating tool and a twisted wire wheel on a grinder.

8. What Chavezk21 said...and then after you've done this, give it a wipe with some lacquer thinner. If moisture did not get behind the coating, the metal looks like the day it came down the assembly line.

9. On a British fix-'em-up car show they filled the floor area with dry ice. Freeeeezing. Then hit the floor with a hammer and it all sprung loose. This was on a early 1970s car so the covering might be different to a 1940s car.

X-cpe likes this.
  10. topher5150

topher5150

This stuff is like parking lot tar, but some heat and a putty knife gets it close enough

Sent from my moto z4 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. JUSTIN PERSINGER

JUSTIN PERSINGER