Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Aircraft paint remover

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roger Peters, May 21, 2020.

1. Roger Peters

Roger Peters
    from Juniata NE

Aircraft paint remover. Anyone else tried to use the "NEW" formula aircraft paint remover the one that smells like roses and don't remove paint. Any recommendations on paint remover?

Attached Files:

2. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

The stuff that I have use in the past work pretty well on enamel. It is funny stuff because on the can in the small print it reads, "don't use on aircraft

kiwijeff and warbird1 like this.
  3. squirrel

squirrel

methylene chloride is what you want, so if it says it big letters it does not have it, you got the wrong stuff.

kiwijeff, Truck64 and 62rebel like this.
  4. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

5. wvenfield

wvenfield

Aircraft remover used to work really well.

I suppose I'm curious........is this the stuff you buy at Wal Mart? Has anyone checked a regular paint supply store to see if they still have the good stuff?

6. 62rebel

62rebel

I bought a gallon can of that shit last week. Almost useless. 55 dollars plus tax at advance auto. The old stuff worked faster and took less product. So... how is the new stuff any better, if you need to use four times as much and it takes four times as long?

guthriesmith likes this.
  7. 28rpu

28rpu

I was able to get the good stuff at a local paint and glass store. The stuff you get at Lowe's etc doesn't work.

8. squirrel

squirrel

Methylene Chloride is a nasty chemical that normal people want nothing to do with. It's what you need to strip paint off old cars, so we need it. They finally took it out of most common paint strippers, especially the ones sold at the chain paint/hardware stores. So...go visit your local auto paint supply, see if they have it.

9. Roger Peters

Roger Peters
    from Juniata NE

I have checked every paint & parts store I can find the old formula is no longer available.

10. Roger Peters

Roger Peters
    from Juniata NE

Do you have the name of the good stuff and where you purchased it?

11. Ruh roh, Scooby. :confused:
    My sandblaster guy is a 72-year-old youngster (I'm 77) with old eyeballs. The parts I just got back have random, little islands of paint. So yesterday at the home store I picked up a spray can of Aircraft Remover, "Non-Methylene Chloride". So it's not the "good stuff" and maybe I'm not as clever as I thought I was yesterday.
    I'll post an 'Edit' in a few days with my results.

stillrunners likes this.
  12. Best one I ever found is Dad's easy spray paint & varnish remover, it definitely contains Methylene Chloride and works great, my only complaint about the product is the plastic spray bottle, it tends to quit working after a while.

I generally use heavy chemical resistant rubber gloves, work outside in the fresh air or use a respirator if I'm inside and use course steel wool to aide in removal.

I have absolutely no affiliation with this company but when I was in retail sales I had all the major brand refinishes and this one was the number one seller. I used every one on the market up until about 10 years ago and this in my opinion was the best on the market. HRP

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 21, 2020
    Gasser 57 likes this.
  13. Mike Rouse

Mike Rouse

If you are really really careful and you use plenty of personal protection you can use sodium hydroxide to remove paint and grease. This is drain cleaner. Mix in a plastic container with water. Use a paint brush to apply to the item. No splashing this stuff around. It will kill your eyes if it gets in them. Small kids swimming pool as a container to catch and reuse the stuff. Keep the surface wet and soon the paint will devolve.
    Vinegar will help to neutralize the liquid

Texas Webb likes this.
  14. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

15. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

You don't get it, do you? The point is, some asshat bureaucrat got a promotion outta that deal, and will probably be in charge of your state soon.

The37Kid and rusty valley like this.
  16. rusty valley

rusty valley

this is bad news. i guess i havent bought any for a while, but it used to be the only way to really clean epoxy off the spray gun for slobs like me that do not properly clean up after each use

17. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Sand paper and a little elbow grease works for me.
    I'll still use paint remover but still need to and it off.

18. squirrel

squirrel

when there are 4 coats of paint, the good paint stripper is a lot faster than sanding through it all! btdt

19. 28rpu

28rpu

The label on the 1 gallon tin can says Benco Sales Inc. Industrial paint remover and solvents. I purchased it in Caldwell, Idaho.
    I bought it just over a year ago after the box store failures with their crap. I searched, wondering why a person couldn't get the good stuff and found that a guy didn't read the directions and without PPE used it on the floor of his store and died. We all know what happened next.

Truck64 likes this.
  20. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

One guy shits his pants, and we all gotta wear diapers, that's what.

21. Pats55

Pats55
    from NJ

I bought a gallon of zip strip yesterday. I should have donated $25 to the church. When it comes to paint removers we are screwed.

Truck64 and 62rebel like this.
  22. I used to use aircraft stripper to strip whole cars including corvettes 20-25 years ago. I recently bought some of the new crap to just take some paint off aluminum valve covers. I was not impressed at all and have decided there is no way I would attempt stripping a whole car with the new stuff. Sanding the paint off has become the preferred method unless I can find the old stuff somewhere.

23. 37 caddy

37 caddy
    from PEI Canada

Ive used some of the generic hardware brands,the cheap stuff they sell for stripping furniture,havent used it for a couple of years,maybe it still has the good formula?.Here in Canada bodyshops cant buy lacquer paint,but the furniture shops can?.Maybe the pussys havent got to the furniture stripper yet.:rolleyes:. Ive used the aircraft strippers and always found the cheap stuff worked as good. Harvey

24. Justin in PA

Justin in PA

The last gallon of old formula aircraft stripper I bought sat half full for about a year and disintegrated the can it was in. That was a mess.

squirrel likes this.
  25. Vimtage Iron

Vimtage Iron

Easy off oven cleaner, seems to work on older paint, but only does 1 coat of paint at a time.

26. Hemiman 426

Hemiman 426
    from Tulsa, Ok.

Thank the EPA for your woes. AA had to change over to the new formula and suffers the same problem of poor performance. Areas that used to take a few hours now takes two 8 hr shifts to do the paint removal. I highly recommend NOT to use Easy Off around any aluminum/magnesium components. An AC cleaner destroyed a 767 pylon after soaking an area with it to try to remove some heavy hydraulic coking..

stillrunners likes this.
  27. That’s from when it would also strip paint. :D

But, I am sure it was a huge mess.

28. 62rebel

62rebel

At least you could have gotten salvation that way!

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  29. Pats55

Pats55
    from NJ

I've contacted some people in the industry and waiting for samples to see if any of these strippers are any good.

30. Poverty cap

Poverty cap

I’ve used Aircraft Stripper many times. I use 30 or 40 grit sandpaper on the panel before applying the stripper and mask the edges of the panel about a half inch or so, on larger panels I cover the panel with with light plastic so the stripper doesn’t dry out to fast. Ventilation and gloves are important, for me it’s always a mess.