Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Building the car of your dreams ain't always a walk in the park.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, May 15, 2020.

1. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

When we got started in our 1940 Willys Coupe build, there was the tear down that had to happen first. We had to get stuff off and make the changes so we would be following the class rules to the letter. The tear down was tedious, but satisfying. We were actually doing some hot rod modifications to create something new and exciting. But, every little thing had to be discussed, planned out and done correctly. It was a definite work in progress. We did some work on the SBC long block, but that was when it rained, the weather was cold and crappy, so the motor was put inside the backyard garage with the garage door open for some breathing room. Most of that work was done at night. The body modifications were done in the daylight.

As this was going on, even the bolting on of the heads, manifold, carbs, getting everything aligned and functioning correctly was extra tedious. I could see the look on my brother’s face as he wanted to just turn the key and get the motor started. We both wanted to drive off down the street and could not wait. Once majority of the modifications were done, the chassis/body was in it rolling stage, that we figured out how we were going to put the SBC motor in the Willys. Taking out the small 4 cylinder motor was simple with the hood, fenders and grille taken off. It was fairly light weight and came out easily. The new SBC motor needed more garage beam, 2x4 &4x4 supports just because of the extra weight of a V8 with accessories.

To break up the ongoing build every night and during spare time hours, we gave ourselves a break by going to the drags all day on Saturday. That made us want to go home and get started doing some detail work, and get the SBC running. So, the timeline was set, the daily chores were listed and slowly, but surely, things started to get finalized and it began to look like a real hot rod.

Jnaki

When I turned the key over, the SBC started and fired up. My brother was busy making some adjustments to the 6 carburetors and I was listening to the rumble of the SBC motor coming out of the headers. It was music to our ears. We were working with big smiles on our faces. We could not wait to back it out of the backyard garage out onto the street for our first drive.

When we finally took our first drive down the neighborhood street, my brother was just idling it and then gave it some pedal power. It took off and we were totally satisfied at the sight and sound of out first hot rod build that was going to win some trophies at Lions, very soon.

After a month of street driving and racing on Saturdays, we were not as happy as we should have been. We did win some rounds, but the speeds and e.t. were not to our liking and we needed some help. So, my brother and I had saved some money and decided to tear down the 283 SBC and rework everything to get a 671 supercharger for more power. That meant everything inside would have to be modified and new blower spec parts would have to be used. So, the tedious tear down of the SBC started in reverse and every day, we got something taken apart, labeled and set aside on our long wooden work bench. Now, we were going to 1/8 over to 292 c.i. and the whole block had to be taken apart for machining
    upload_2020-5-21_4-3-34.png
    It took longer and every single little part had to be reinstalled or replaced to build the motor back up again. This took a lot of time that we had not planned and it was almost a breaking point. The 58 Impala tried to get some other power at the drags, but it was tiresome, now being under powered in the class, so that was a no go. So, every day, we plodded along little by little until that moment came when the key was turned and the whole backyard was drag racing central. The motor was louder and sounded like the FED dragsters we saw at Lions all of these years. If the 283 six carburetor motor sounded good, this was real power and an awesome feeling deep down both of us standing there adjusting this and that.
    upload_2020-5-21_4-4-7.png
    It was not a walk in the park, but along the way, it was worth every nick, scratch, cut, and bruise on our arms, legs and dirty Levi’s. We weren’t finished, but our preliminary goal was to get it running, which it now was, and then go after some national class records if we could. We got very close...
    upload_2020-5-21_4-4-48.png
    possible future finished 1940 Willys Coupe YELLOW OR SILVER PEARL

2. LAROKE

LAROKE

I even give myself a break and accept work I wouldn't accept from a professional.

3. railcarmover

railcarmover

When you free yourself from the chains of perfection you truly enjoy the car..instead of the flaws irritating you they all have a story to tell.

X-cpe and LAROKE like this.
  4. HOORAY! I like that statement. Been looking for it for awhile.

Ben

5. Almostdone

Almostdone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Elaborate please...

6. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Danny, I noticed your painter said, "I thought."
    I've shared this before.
    Whenever my father would inquire as to why I did such an idiotic thing, I would sometimes say...
    " I thought..."
    He would invariably reply...
    "No... you did not think."

7. Never2old

Never2old
    from so cal

Six months after I installed their sound deadener it started to partially liquify.
    Impossible to completely remove.
    What a fucking mess.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

8. Mopar Tony

Mopar Tony

Doesn't vermiculite have asbestos in it?

9. railcarmover

railcarmover

Thats one of the differences between a hot rod and a street rod...sound deadener ...the rattles,heat and noise comforts me,that means its still running

10. gene-koning

gene-koning

When I was a younger man, I would have agreed with you. Now that I'm not a young man anymore, sound deadener is my friend. The squeaks, rattles, and the cold or hot air drafts that used to be so comforting are not missed nearly as much as I thought they would be. It sure didn't take long to adjust to their absence. I even had to add some sound deadener to the coupe when I redid it this past winter. My wife has even commented on how much nicer it is riding in the coupe.
    Even with the addition of the sound deadener, I still know its running.

Just be sure the sound deadener you install is Butte based and not the cheaper asphalt based stuff. I use the stuff called NOICO from Amazon. Gene

11. railcarmover

railcarmover

I see and understand your point Gene,most of us on this site are of the age that appreciates comfort. I have a nice modern car for that.Although I don't have the stamina of my youth I still get a kick out of the sight, smell and feel of stripped hotrod..
    [​IMG]