Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Ford Flathead Lake Style Headers Needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brigrat, May 20, 2020.

1. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

I have a wanted add on the HAMB for a set of Ford Flathead Lake Style headers, not much action from the post and I kinda need them now! Anyone? First choice is something from the past, but can't be picky I guess. Thanks!

2. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Speedway Motors offers several varieties, from a $195 kit to $675 for coated units. I would check eBay as well. I got an incredibly cheap (<$100) set of stainless steel center-dumps on there. The headers were real nice, but they came with metric fasteners.:eek: I was able to handle that problem.

3. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Been on ebay, been on Speedway & Patriot, missed a nice set on HAMB parts classified. Will buy a kit if I have to but putting "feelers out first!

4. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good luck with your quest. If you end up buying a kit, try to get back here and post your results and comments. I'm going to need a set down the road and would appreciate any input you might have.

brigrat likes this.

5. Mechman_22

Mechman_22
    from Nc

6. bchctybob

bchctybob

I was going to suggest Gear Drive, seems like they aren’t pushing their headers as much as they used to but it looks like they are still available. You could probably build them in a day or two and then they would be exactly like you want them.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Junk yard and brigrat like this.
  7. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

A few years ago I bought a kit for a SBC, turned out OK for what the build was for, not a show car! The challenge for me was making the transition from the tubes coming out of the header flange to the big (for lack of a better word) tapered tube. I would like to perfect the joining/welding in that area, which can get involved. And yes Bob there is a plus to doing my own kit, you end up with angles that look rite to you or owner...………..

8. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

The problem I have always had with pre-made outside headers, is how they fit at the cowl area, in respect to height and width. It's also some extra work, but this is how I make the transition at the tapered tube. IMG_4832.JPG IMG_4826.JPG IMG_4805.JPG IMG_4829.JPG

Hotrodmyk, chop job and brigrat like this.
  9. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

As always Marty you make it look so easy! That's how I did the SBC ones BUT I had bigger gaps to fill from miss matching to main tube!

10. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

11. bchctybob

bchctybob

Yep, that’s the hard part, getting a nice transition into the megaphone. I’ve done three sets of lakes style headers in the last year and I’d like to see if Marty has a cool trick to make those cuts. For me it’s just cut, fit, cut, fit, cut, oh sh!t...... new tube, cut, fit, cut , fit. LOL. I really need to spring for a fresh set of Wiss tin snips too, mine are 40 years old, and my arms are even older.....

Texas Webb likes this.
  12. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I band saw the arcs and across the toe. As Bob noted, use tin snips (Wiss are my choice) to trim the heel, fine tune the fit with a mop disc. IMG_4799.JPG IMG_4800.JPG IMG_4833.JPG

Hotrodmyk and chop job like this.
  13. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

The cutting part is easy it's the where to cut part that can be confusing!

14. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

I want to learn how to do these!
    cool headers.jpg

lurker mick likes this.
  15. bchctybob

bchctybob

Those are some nice pipes. They remind me of some of the wild motorcycle exhaust systems they used to do on those MC build-off programs back in the ‘90s.

16. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Yep, that's what I was thinking!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

17. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Reach out to Geardrive. He might even have some laying on the shelf. That’s what mine are for my 409. Nice heavy flange and just the right taper.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Mechman_22 likes this.
  18. 1knuckle

1knuckle
    from arizona

I also am looking for a set of headers and called up to Gear Drive last week. he said he has retired a few months back, just my luck and he wasn't making headers anymore.