Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Waiting for a Train - 1963 Belair

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chucky, Jul 1, 2016.

1. Just for record keeping purposes, I’m going to list all the things that I’ve done to the car over the insane winter we just survived. The snow was crazy this year...
    - all new wheels and tires
    - slightly loosened DS spindle nut (without removing cotter pin / always thought it was a bit too tight)
    - new bearing dust caps that look more original (previous ones were chromeish looking and dented)
    - primered inside front half of floor, fixed bad shifter cutout hole
    - trimmed / reinstalled carpet better than it was
    - changed valve covers to more vintage looking ones
    - new oil dipstick assembly that is now not loose
    - painted headers VHT flat black
    - oil change and (finally) switched to a Wix filter
    - checked rear diff. fluid (all good)
    - removed heater hoses (never used heater)
    - installed new 180 thermostat / drilled two 3/16” “bypass” holes in stat
    - all new custom driveshaft with billet bearing, Spicer maintenance free u-joints and a slip yoke rear shaft
    - new mini starter
    - new poly motor mounts
    - fully rebuilt clutch Z-bar, new springs and clutch push rod
    - rebuilt (cleaned / lubed) shifter and new installation kit

I’m finishing up with a re-do of the exhaust and it should be going next weekend / I’ll post some pictures soon. It’s looking more “vintage” with black steelies on all four corners and rear tires that aren’t super wide.

Of course it’s got an entirely new M20, new clutch and a Lakewood bellhousing and block plate. I’m liking this car. I might keep it for a while.:D
    B9920C44-4D8C-473D-8B38-2D27AD76CF49.jpeg

bobss396, Thor1, Bowtie Coupe and 7 others like this.
  2. Swapped the T handle for a ball. That should shave a good 1/10 off my 1/4 mile time.:rolleyes:
    CD89C096-0994-4730-83F9-A4C6CCC90423.jpeg

3. Roadsir

Roadsir

All sound like nice upgrades!

loudbang and Chucky like this.
  4. Unique Rustorations

Unique Rustorations

Hopefully the scary PO crap is behind you. Looking forward to some action shots this summer!! Ditto on the ball! Lol. Regards, Randy

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

racer-x, loudbang and Chucky like this.
  5. benchseat4speed

benchseat4speed
    from Golden, CO

What size are those M&H’s?? Car looks great!

Chucky and loudbang like this.
  6. loudbang

loudbang

LOL you will like the ball on the street. But on the strip when it's hot and your hands are sweaty I found out the hard way, banging second, and my hand slipped right off the ball. That had me momentarily frazzled enough that I lost that round. Switched to a Hurst T handle and never had that problem again LOL. :confused:

7. @benchseat4speed - the rear tires are the “nostalgia” slicks. They are the 14” diameter version. They measure about 28” tall, with a 7” wide tread (as opposed to my old rear tires which were 10” wide). I ended up re-doing the exhaust system with new mufflers (fully welded / no more clamps) and a custom rear exhaust hanger. I also installed new KYB gas shocks, because...everything else is new.:rolleyes: The family and I cruised over to my brother-in-law’s house today. I’m happy to say...IT’S ALIVE! again.:)
    5DE4026A-0D3B-429B-8E70-709E65888510.jpeg

8. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Looks great Chucky.

loudbang likes this.
  9. David Chandler

David Chandler

I like your ideas on stance. To me the center of the wheels lined up with the bottom of the rocker panels looks about right. Especially if you drive over speed bumps, etc.

10. loudbang

loudbang

Better than new :)

11. Last summer, I only drove 1.5 tanks of gas. I don’t really have a great answer as to why??? I did test drive the Belair today and it seems to be all good. I hope to make it to the Fall Out Drags this year, as last year I was scared by the weather and it turned out to be a false alarm.:(

649EAC3C-39A7-4203-BCB3-C3E25C17F52D.jpeg

12. I have been busy all winter working on this 1966 Correct Craft. I hope to start the engine in about a month.

71233CDE-0600-4003-85EF-EF644CC58F45.jpeg 368BCA7B-0137-4A77-BE76-7B2E2121895C.jpeg

13. Roadsir

Roadsir

You need to get organized! Looks like a fun project. Wife and I moved in to a different house in December, so I haven't done much car stuff....yet. Trying to get the house garage finished up.

Thor1 and loudbang like this.