Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Rubber fuel line

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by kenmo, May 19, 2020.

1. kenmo

kenmo

I need to replace the rubber fuel lines on my 1960 Corvette. In Nova Scotia they are starting to mix ethanol with the regular gas but I am uncertain if they put ethanol in the high test which I use.

Can anyone recommend a good rubber hose that will hold up against ethanol blended gasoline?

Cheers & many thanks

2. Have as little amount of rubber line as you can (just for flex joints, not for long runs) and I've had good luck with Gates Barricade fuel injection hose. Any rubber you get you should always take a peek at it on a regular basis.

3. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

@1oldtimer is right as rain... A smog instructor (in the '90s) recommended this type hose if and when inspecting (visual for smog inspection) above the standard fuel hose.
    FUEL INJECTION hose resists chemical diffusing inside, standard fuel hose will fail over time.

4. Hose rated for fuel injection is supposed to be able to withstand the ethanol. At least that is what we were told at the auto parts place I used to work in.

5. squirrel

squirrel

yup, the FI hose cost more, and lasts a lot longer. It's also harder to install, it has a tough inner liner.

6. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The only rubber or flexible line you should have is between the frame and fuel pump. Your Corvette never had any other than that. Get some steel line, fittings if needed, a bender, and flare tool and do it right. If you want a filter get one like the stock one or one with fittings. Same with your carb. Many aftermarket come with a barb for a rubber hose but get the right one and use steel lines. You will do this once and never worry again.

7. guitarguy

guitarguy

As mentioned, Gates Barricade hose. Not sure if you have a Napa there or not, But they use the following part #'s H311 for 1/4", H312 for 5/16", and H313 for 3/8".

We have been dealing with ethanol mixed fuels down here forever it seems. In the shop I work in, we deal with alot of RV owners with on board generators that just get abused to death with god knows what % of ethanol mixed gas, this is the only hose the seems to hold up for the use.

kenmo likes this.
  8. kenmo

kenmo

There is very little rubber. It is for flex joints as you suggest. Cheers & many thanks for the posts & replies...

Cosmo49 likes this.
  9. kenmo

kenmo

Yes, we have NAPA parts counters as well as NAPA service centers. Thanks kindly...

guitarguy likes this.
  10. kenmo

kenmo

11. JUSTIN PERSINGER

JUSTIN PERSINGER

12. As mentioned, use only hose "rated" for fuel. Like the old advertising slogan, "Ask for it by name".
    There was a thread here about 2/3 weeks ago about rubber hose that is actually rated to be totally submerged in fuel.

In the US, if fuel contains ethanol, there must be a notice (a sticker) on the pump. Maybe you have a rule like that up there in the Great White???

VANDENPLAS and Cosmo49 like this.
  13. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

If they would stick with the correct percentage it'd help. When I worked at Ford, we'd have flex fuel vehicles towed in that quit on the road, drain some fuel out in a clean, clear jug and it'd be 75% ethanol and 25% gas. Warranty doesn't cover that.

14. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

I change my hoses every year

15. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I have been using the silicone hose , it seems to be working great so far , it’s still in the testing stage for me

16. That’s the E85 fuel / generic
    Most of the time the stuff is Closer to 70% not 85 Any ways but it could be 85. and the Federal minimum percentage is 70%. So anywhere between 70 and 85% is what’s coming out of the pump and your flex fuel vehicle better run on that.
    Your high compression hot rod engine tuned to run the alcohol/fuel blend might have trouble depending on the blend you get and what you tuned it for.

egads likes this.
  17. Regular clamps work fine. If you use the fuel infection hose clamps, they won’t dig into the hose like gear clamps do. You have to make sure you get correct clamps. 3/8” and 5/16” take a different clamp for example.
    The injection clamps are nicer in that they don’t dig into your hose, although they do look more modern, if that’s a concern.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

18. moparboy440

moparboy440
    from Finland

Normal fuel hoses are made of Nitrile rubber (NBR). For ethanol you need a hose made of Fluorocarbon rubber (FKM). Ask at your local parts store for a hose made of FKM.

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  19. 5window

5window

This is a pretty good article from Hemming's. And, I may be naive, but after decades of having ethanol added to gasoline and it being really hard to find anyplace selling ethanol free gasoline, that NAPA is going to sell you any truse fuel line that is not ethanol rated.

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/20...-line-hose-what-you-should-and-should-not-use

https://www.summitracing.com/search/department/fittings-hoses/section/hose-line-tubing/product-line/summit-racing-braided-nylon-hose/part-type/an-hose?fr=part-type&SortBy=Default&SortOrder=Ascending&autoview=SKU&keyword=Fuel Hose&ar=1
    You could always go up in quality, but it is expensive.

Last edited: May 23, 2020
  20. WOODEYE

WOODEYE

kenmo the fuel dispenser pump should have written out instruction if it is blended and at what %. With that said the alcohol blended fuel has a very distinct sweet smell. Very distinct, you won't miss it

21. TCTND

TCTND

I really like the Flennor multi fuel hose available from Belmetric.com. Made in Germany, FI rated (175 PSI) braided fabric exterior, and much more flexible than domestic FI hose.

22. I just checked out their site. The hose does seem to have an appearance that can pass for period correct and traditional. But the photos show graphics printed continuously along the length of the hose. Personally, for me, that's a turn-off. It's like buying Christmas lights or some other electrical device and having a half dozen flag/tags slapped on the wire.
    But I'm probably not typical. I was almost 70 years old before I would wear a T-shirt with graphics on it. :mad:

23. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

My roadster has both hard line (alum), and AN typeSS braided (AN8).
    I know some of the braided hoses are better than others for ethanol blends, but I don't know which is which.
    Anyone got any ideas? I've read a lot of manufacturer's descriptions but yet to see one specify OK or NO on ethanol.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020