Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Another possible clever scam

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by donsz, May 19, 2020.

1. donsz

donsz

Thought I would let everyone know about a possible, one I have not encountered before. I was searching the web for the best deal on a Pertronix Ignitor distributor (vacuum advance and male cap ends). The search was highly specific. I had been searching off and on for about a week. Suddenly I encountered a site that had that exact part, uecotemp.com. This was odd since I thought I had reviewed all the sites with that product. Normally the distributor is priced at about $340. They advertised it for $98, that was the first warning. The site is strange as they have an odd assortment of product categories with only a few products in each. I decided to take a chance, the world won't end over a hundred dollars. They emailed an official confirmation and allowed me to to open an account on their site so could check order status. It all looked pretty official, except when sending payment the receiving email was Asian in syntax. Also they provided no home office location, contact and customer service contact. The only good thing I did is that I paid with PayPal. After one week there was no product shipment or status (outside of the initial "in process".

After a week, I contested the purchase with PayPal and my credit card company. The next day I tried to get on the site and it is "down." A internet search deemed it as suspicious. Further research indicates it may have roots in Asia.

From what I can tell, the clever part is that somehow through some "Click Ad" application or an injected malware they can track your activity and/or cookies. Then they show up in your Google search with the searched product at an excellent price point. Their website is the best phishing site I have ever encountered. So if you do get to uecotemp.com or a similar site that looks a little odd with unbelievable pricing, be careful.
    don

2. indyjps

indyjps

Pretty common, data mining sites, they somehow pull info from a legit site and pop it up for you with a better price. Happens a lot around the holidays, havent seen it outside of that.

Figure they have a couple coders and can launch a few sites a day, get 1 or 2 payments then just replicate the site with a different name.

3. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Smell test, trust you instincts

Hnstray likes this.
  4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I haven't got any of the adds lately but for a while I was getting adds on FB for items that should and did cost a chunk of money for pocket change. One being a coat they listed for 60 bucks but when you searched for the original add it was a 3000 buck coat. I sent that web link and a few more that I figured out to the company that actually sold the products in question at far higher prices with a note that their legal departments might want to check into it.
    If it sounds like a far too good of a deal it is probably a scam. On the other hand I have bought stuff that ended up being sold by drop shippers who just cut their profit margin down to a low percent markup and had the product shipped direct from the manufacture. I bought a set of Chrome big block Chevy tight tuck headers back about 25 years ago from JC Whitney that ended up coming direct from Emmerso enterprises and were show chrome and super finished. They sold for around 750 then from Emmerso and I didn't pay close to that. JC Whitney sold them as no name chrome headers.

Hnstray likes this.

5. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

A lady on NastyZ28 sent me an email wanting to know if I wanted naked pictures of her, I didn't bite...………..sounded to good to be true!

Last edited: May 20, 2020
  6. Penetrator

Penetrator
    from SK CAN

What, exactly, was the point of this exercise?

Blues4U likes this.
  7. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Watch out for Northern Tool sites. There is only one real Northern Tool but many pop up with astounding prices. Many are chinese sites.
    We laugh at them. They think some people are stupid. Always good for a giggle.

rbrewer likes this.
  8. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My apologies...I just can't keep my wife off that damn computer....

9. I've seen suspicious sites and bypass them. One will list a part and have fantastic looking deals if you buy 10 or more. If it looks too good to be true, likely it is.

10. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

The sole reason these scams work is greed, to be blunt: A $340 distributor for a mere $98, 71% off the usual price. There's your red flag right there. The other details of the transaction are irrelevant.

WiredSpider and Hnstray like this.
  11. Yes don this is muki from uecotemp, you still want distributor and me to fluff pillow??? ;) (just kidding don, this is Lloyd, but I'll still fluff your pillow if you need me to :D)

J_J2, 41rodderz, hotrodjack33 and 4 others like this.
  12. low down A

low down A

the only reason scammer's keep doing these are because of people like you who reward them for there effort's. nice job

Hnstray likes this.
  13. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

The wave of the future with a lot of brick and mortar stores closing. It is so easy ordering from your computer but I would rather fo see it in person, pay for it and go home and not worry about getting ripped off. Support your local speed store and other businesses that are in your community..

bobss396, 41rodderz, trollst and 2 others like this.
  14. Man i wish there still was a speed shop around here :( they left about 30 years ago. I miss those days

62rebel, hotrodjack33, nochop and 2 others like this.
  15. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

Ran into this same deal recently gift shopping for LEGO online. Pretty typical scam for popular mid-ticket price items. If the price is 75% off...

Just google search the web address of the site. Usually the suspicious will already be published.

16. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I agree about trying to shop local. If we always use the net to order stuff the local guy will eventually go away. Then when you need that small 39 cent dodad that the local guy used to have in stock but charged 45 cents to cover his costs will be gone. You'll then have to order it on line, wait for it to be delivered, and pay 5 bucks for delivery all to "save" 6 cents. Kind of like why I still buy my oil and other fluids from my local parts store even though its cheaper at Wally World. I'd be SOL without my local parts store. Use it or loose it. JMHO.

17. wvenfield

wvenfield

Best of both worlds now. I can order online, get 20% discount and then go over to the parts store and pick it up. If' I'm not in a hurry I can put it in the cart and wait..........in short time I will get an email for 25% off items in my cart if I'm still interested.

Since they know me, there is no wait. You paid online and they simply hand you the items after signing your name.

But I only do this for sites that I know for sure are real.

nochop likes this.
  18. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

If you are running a good antivirus program it should block or at least list a site as dangerous unless they haven't had any complaints about it yet. I run Avast, it's real good at marking and blocking bad sites.

19. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Since he used PayPal, I don't think they got rewarded.

20. dan31

dan31

The only reason the op posted this is to let others know that they can get scammed this way, many on here probably didn't know they could do that. So by posting he may may have stopped some scammers from being successful so that wouldn't be rewarded, did you even read the whole post before your smart ass response. No, you didn't, nice job.

j hansen likes this.
  21. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I have an old laptop I use at my cabin that runs Linux instead of Windows and the search engine, instead of Google, is called Duc Duc Go (yes, seriously). What little I know about it is that it does not have all the ads and tracking that the others do. Maybe someone can comment, all I know is it seems to work well.

pitman likes this.
  22. Kevin Ardinger

Kevin Ardinger

You should have taken her up on it. Whew! They were something else! LOL

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

hotrodjack33 and j hansen like this.
  23. I use that engine on my lap top. It does seem to limit the number of ads that show up in a search as apposed to Bing and Google. It’s says that they don’t track you but who knows for sure. Usually the first page or two of a search is reserved for the paying dealers/companies. This is true of most search engines. My Iphone will not let me use DuckDuckGo as my go to for some reason. I have to search it through bing or google and go from there.
    Norton has worked for me for showing unsafe sites.

texasred likes this.
  24. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

Got a warning from Norton when I clicked on a bogus Northern Tools site, and Flathead Dave is right there is quite a few of them..

25. low down A

low down A

yes i've read hundred's of the same, scammer post and unless you just crawled out from under a rock you have too. the only new,name brand anyting that is listed for a 1/3 of what everybody else is selling for should make the avoid at all cost alarm go off. not the ole lucky me oh what good deal i got bells go off.

K13 likes this.
  26. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

HEY !!! Watch it !!! That's my wife you're talking about...

27. trollst

trollst

This whole scam thing just pisses me off.....we talk here about how not to be scammed, good info, real good info, unless you're a dumass like me. I don't get all the computer lingo you guys spout, but I don't buy online. The front coils for my 36, I find on the net, get part #'s, then go to my parts guy and order them. Makes me angry that the victim is the one held responsible here, not the perp.
    We got a pair cruising around in a white dodge pickup in the wee hours, been caught on properties, they always get away, even though they been filmed on security cams, I hope they drive into my yard, there'll be two guys with four kneecaps missing.......

wraymen likes this.
  28. donsz

donsz

Thanks Dan31, as you mentioned I was only trying to help anyone who may not have encountered this. I thought this was clever because it picked up on the specific part I was searching. And legitimate vendors have the capability to do that and stick adds in your web pages (e.g., Yahoo). I might add that I often do a fairly extensive search for parts on the internet. I have at times found some great deals, far under what others are selling the product for. That's all I'm going to say.
    don

2milgroove likes this.
  29. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Have you by chance looked at the Accel electronic ignition conversion kits? I put one of these in a stock Chevy distributor for my SBC in my '39 Chev and it seems to be a very good quality unit. Runs great and took about 30 minutes to install. It even uses the ceramic resistor of the stock older Chevy ignitions. I found them at $50-$100, but got one for the lower price here:

https://www.autoanything.com/igniti...MI0863yafD6QIVJj2tBh1AdALSEAQYAiABEgIhEPD_BwE

30. donsz

donsz

I97IBB427: No I haven't, my original distributor was a wreck, see attached (before and after). Otherwise it sounds like a good way to go.
    don
    348_original.jpg IMG_1414.JPG