Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Can i start this flathead with the clutch & pressure plate as shown

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 34 GAZ, May 20, 2020.

1. In the engine stand with the pressure plate pushing the clutch plate tight against the flywheel. Nothing actually holding the clutch plate central on the pressure plate or flywheel. Will centrifigal force smash the clutch plate against the sides of the bellhousing. If i push a pilot bearing guide in there i guess that would fly out with starting. First time open in about 65 years and clean as a whistle. Reason it,s open is because i removed the big ugly and useless industrial drive unit which actually had a total weight of 65 kilogram. Last photo is the mount that will go back on. 101_1235.JPG 101_1233.JPG 101_1247.JPG

2. alchemy

alchemy

I think the pressure plate will keep it centered. But just in case it doesn't, the housing of the pressure plate should still keep the disc from actually touching the block. You will see it off center and you will feel the imbalance immediately and can shut it down.

34 GAZ and alanp561 like this.
  3. It appears that you could remove the bellhousing and the clutch assembly by taking out a few bolts. Why not remove at least the clutch disk and save the worry?

34 GAZ likes this.
  4. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

So long as clutch disc is centered (do not want washing machine off center affect) and pressure plate is holding well you can.

Hnstray and 34 GAZ like this.

5. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

Should be able to fire it just like it is, the clutch disc shouldn't move. When I was a kid we fired up a flathead sitting in an old tire on the ground, not real bright looking back but it worked.

studebaker46 and 34 GAZ like this.
  6. alchemy

alchemy

Doh! I didn't even realize it was a late block. Yes, just take the short bellhousing off and you can remove the pressure plate and disc. Put a stake mark on the PP and flywheel so you can match them up again in case they were balanced together.

34 GAZ likes this.
  7. rusty valley

rusty valley

i have run them like that with no problems, but it keeps you alert!

302GMC and 34 GAZ like this.
  8. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

I'd agree it's probably fine so long as the pressure plate is good. Couldn't hurt to stuff a clutch alignment tool in the end for good measure, I don't think it would come out.

scrap metal 48 and 34 GAZ like this.
  9. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Play it safe. It would only take a few minutes to
    unbolt the bell housing and remove the
    PP and clutch disk. Make a location index mark before you remove them..

34 GAZ likes this.
  10. 42merc

42merc

Fire it up.
    I've done a bunch like yours, nothing moves. The folks that are worrying, haven't done it.

11. razoo lew

razoo lew
    from Calgary

I would fire it like it sits. I can’t see how that clutch disc would move anywhere. (I am known to be impatient though).

34 GAZ likes this.
  12. Thanks guys. Yes, to remove the bellhousing is only another 10 minutes work. But then i will want to clean that and then i will clean the starter and then the oilpan and then before you know it i have another project going on:oops:. But i will give it a go as it sits first :p. Low revs :rolleyes:.

cactus1 and scrap metal 48 like this.
  13. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Can you tell if the pilot is a ball bearing or a bushing ? If it's a bearing, by all means, service it or replace it.

34 GAZ likes this.
  14. If the pressure plate is tight,,,,how could the disc move around ?
    I wonder how many pounds of pressure it is applying to the disc ?

Hummmmm,,,,,LoL,,,,,sorry,,,,,I shouldn’t be mean like this .

Oh yes,,,,do not put a pilot shaft into the clutch splines,,,,,,they can and will back out,,,,and cause havoc and destruction while the engine is running .
    Imagine an object spinning at 1500-2000 rpm and suddenly being loose and looking for a victim !

Tommy

razoo lew, Cosmo50 and 34 GAZ like this.
  15. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

Of course you can start it just like it is. But take a video of the startup just in case, to share with the rest of us.:)

34 GAZ likes this.
  16. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Sheesh..

34 GAZ likes this.
  17. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Let’s try this approach to the question....those who think it should NOT be started in this configuration, please explain why not.....what you think can or will go wrong and why you think that.

Ray

34 GAZ and 57 Fargo like this.
  18. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ Watched to many...
    [​IMG]

34 GAZ likes this.
  19. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL