Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1965 Comet Drop Axle

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MeanGene427, May 19, 2020.

1. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Looking for info and pictures of any 65 Comets done with a drop axle and FE engine, looking to keep it low as it will be an actual race car- so no Speedway kits etc. I have access to a variety of axles from Ford beams, tubes, can be bent and dropped by a skilled friend. Like to use parallel springs under the frame rails, and could bend a bow in the center for pan clearance if necessary, like to see pics of how the pan etc relate to the axle fore n aft, height etc. I have a rear sump pan if necessary. Very determined to do away with the shock towers. Not looking for general opinions, or how great they are raised way up lol. Definitely not interested in any Chebbrainwashed comments about "put a Chebbie in it" lol. Will have a 505ci High Riser with Kinsler injection

2. Never done a '65. We put a 4" drop tube axle (don't know where the guy got it) under a '68 (I believe) fairlane. It was a small block car and ended up setting like Ohio George's Mustang more or less maybe a little lower in the front. The guy drove it every day and it was still quick and handled well at the track. I don't recall any clearance problems but it was not a big block car.

None of this is period, and not exactly what you ask but maybe it will get this thing started for ya.

3. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Was thinking axle on top of springs, oil pan relationship is similar sm blk x big block, and I have several pan setups, T-pan, 4x4 pan, rear sump, even a 2" deepened 4x4 pan that my buddy ran on the High Riser in his pulling truck, so should be able to work it out. Probably a Galaxie-type round crossmember so engine mounts would be easy and add strength, and tie cage into the frame rails. I have a set of Crites headers that should fit much easier without the towers, and also a set of big tube BB Mustang JR's (or Doug's, opinions vary) that cross underneath the engine that might be workable. Dyno Don's 65 with a Cammer had the shock towers cut out and reversed, putting them under the fenders instead of the engine compartment, but took a lot of work. Looking to make it simple and strong, light as possible without sacrificing strength, and not searching the heavens

4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

5. Don’t have an answer...but that car in your avatar looks pretty mean...details?

6. RmK57

RmK57

Nothing to do with drop axles but is this your car behind the Valiant?
    user17231_pic10307_1585686175.jpg