Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods OK, Whats a NOS P-38 BELLY TANK worth?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Harms Way, Dec 22, 2010.

1. Perhaps you have a really big.......um, talent for gathering. :D :eek:

2. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

On the reservation they have different rules....

3. Sorta like our Graham camper. I don't expect it to ever sell on eBay - but the exposure it gets there for a whopping 20 cents a month is hard to beat.

Something like this pretty much depends on who's in the market for one when you try to sell it, just like at an auction, if there's only one or two guys hot for it, then it may not sell for as much as if there were 10 guys with a hardon for it all at the same time.

4. wandi harry

wandi harry

I know this is an old thread but I have a belly tank itch at the moment that brought me to this thread.
    I found this on the net with a purchase price of $27k +, sounds great. But that's me just dreaming it will go for around that price, checkout what it sold for.
    Its an awesome looking ride
    https://hiconsumption.com/auction-block-1940s-belly-tank-lakester/

5. I don't think that's a P-38 tank.

Carter likes this.
  6. 5window

5window

That thread's almost a year and a half old. Is that US dollars?

Oh, click on the price link and you get this: Sold For $103,000 On 1/30/19

7. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have no comments on drop tank prices, but look at the runout of the right front wheel at the 2:23 mark of the video. Here's a shortcut to it...

8. rusty valley

rusty valley

i dont think its a p38 tank either. too small in the middle. sold for 103K???????

9. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

There were 'big' tanks and 'small' tanks
    The pictured one is a small tank,, it is cool, but I would get more enjoyment from a roadster, be a 28 - 32 and the roadster you could drive on the street, the one pictured would be great for parking lots and show grounds where you can get away with unregistered vehicles.
    The one above is not legal for ANY racing organization, so don't get Salt Dreams.
    A great wall hanger
    And yes I am building a drop tank for land speed racing, it is a 'phoney' glass one as metal is tooooo expensive to use for something as silly as racing
    Good luck!

Stan Back, Carter and 5window like this.
  10. wandi harry

wandi harry

Yeah l would only be looking at one to play with. Would not be building to any tech specs

11. wandi harry

wandi harry

Not sure if any p 38 tanks made it down here , this is the best l came up with.
    No idea what it originally came off but I brought it from a local tobacco farm now which have all been closed down. So one thing to consider with it it would have had some nasty herbicides in it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 19, 2020
  12. wandi harry

wandi harry

Its to narrow to squeeze a flathead in, exploring other options.
    I have this small horizontally opposed engine similar look to a bmw motorbike engine which I was trying to work out how to make work

13. indyjps

indyjps

Thats an awful expensive canoe, they didnt even cut the hole in it. Y'all are nuts.

wandi harry and scotty t like this.
  14. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

15. Yes they did. There were P-38's at Amberley. Isky was there.;)
    P-38's at Eagle Farm airport, Brisbane.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    P-38's at Amberley AFB just west of Brisbane. 1942.

16. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I restored a P-38 Tank last year. 310 gallons, if I remember right. IMG_7695.JPG IMG_7713.JPG

Almostdone and rod1 like this.
  17. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

You know for that kind of money and what most of us would use it for, I think that with the right tools and talent you could re-manufacture one. Anything dealing with "war-birds" is a rare commodity and thus the high costs and it is rare to find someone willing to put out that kind of money.

RileyRacing and Adriatic Machine like this.
  18. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

here's how they made them droptank1.JPG droptank2.JPG droptank3.JPG droptank4.JPG

hotrodA, ronzmtrwrx, COCONUTS and 5 others like this.
  19. The37Kid

The37Kid

THANK YOU Mr. Chevrolet!

20. I saved these from going for scrap in 2018!

Didn't have more then 4 hours and they were sold!
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  21. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

By chance did these go to Rocco Desimone and his brother? I swear I've seen them in their shop...

22. I can't remember the names of the guys who bought them that name sounds right, they were brothers fairly local . Greene or Columbia county. My friend Dan Henke was the middle man he know the guys who bought them since he was little.

Dan has a black 324 Olds powered 40 Ford two door that has been a hot rod since the 50s.

23. 12 year old thread, the are probably considerably more expensive today. HRP

24. 5window

5window

25. The P-38 had two sizes in tanks, the drop tanks were around 150 gal. and the larger ferry tanks were around 305-315 gals. I'am building a Glass version of the 315 gal tank. JW

26. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jack Kelly, the gentleman who built molds for the fiberglass ones as sold them (molds) many many years ago after he constructed the 664 E Gas Lakester that still runs today made them 18” longer that stock with a flat bottom to clear for the smaller tires available at the time.

27. @MR.CHEVROLT. Great pics of the factory builds. Thanks!

28. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

29. As the late Tony H. RIP, said above, this thing is simply an expensive prop. No legal to run with any real sanctioning body