Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical McCullough gauges

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by olscrounger, May 18, 2020.

1. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

OK my friend is finally digging thru his stuff-lots of odd stuff too-it came with a Studebaker Silver Hawk. See the gauge cluster. He is bringing the supercharger bits and pieces too. Trying to help him with this stuff. The gauges are numbered sequential last number 82-83-84. The other items I have no clue. Pls any advice value--thank you

Attached Files:

2. egads

egads

Similar panel and gauges on Ebay right now for $4000.00, and a single vacuum-pressure gauge for $2500.00. ? (not mine) Quite a few pieces and parts for sale there. Go to the completed listings and you will get an idea of what the values are. Your friend has some COOL stuff .:):)

Last edited: May 18, 2020
    VANDENPLAS likes this.
  3. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

Those are Friggin awesome!

kidcampbell71, AVater and VANDENPLAS like this.
  4. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I have looked for those forever locally because of the price people ask for them on the Internet is crazy. Maybe one day :)

kidcampbell71 and VANDENPLAS like this.

5. mickeyc

mickeyc

I have one a MCCULLOUGH vacuum/ supercharger gauge. The one I have has a blue duck or goose looking
    bird logo on it. I was not trying to sell it. However it surely could be bought for that kind of crazy money!

6. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

digging thru this stuff bunch of other gauges (some SW) as well and other stuff that I'm not familiar with.Must be 15 sets of sparkplugs new in the box-I am slowly gong thru it. He has no idea either--guess I'll put some of it on ebay for him. I looked at the gauges like he has .these are very similar

7. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

8. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

still digging lots of weird stuff-have no clue on a lot of it--may just give it all back to him and let him get rid of it. Boxes and boxes of stuff-Many electrical Filko parts in orig boxes-must be 50-60. Says he found the supercharger-haven't seen it. Quite a few SW gauges as well. The gauge cluster is interesting--will let him figure that one out I think--shows inside being serviced in SF many years ago.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  9. Silverplate

Silverplate

I have also seen a gorgeous Paxton set. Would love them for my Avanti. To expensive for me however when they come up for sale.

10. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

this was with it--it is related? Thank you

Attached Files:

11. Speed~On

Speed~On

The Mucculloch Supercharger/Vacuum gauges always command big money. Especially the first gen gauge that @mickeyc described with the blue bird. The asking price on that one gauge alone is typically between $750 to $1,000.

There was one on ebay and the guy was asking $2,000 or "Make Offer".
    Rare-1st-Design-McCulloch-Supercharger-Gauge-Vacuum-Pressure-_1.jpg

Rare-1st-Design-McCulloch-Supercharger-Gauge-Vacuum-Pressure-_1-1.jpg

12. Speed~On

Speed~On

@olscrounger an identical 3 gauge pod that you have pictured above sold on ebay in 2014 for $2,144.99. You can bet your friends panel with the 3 gauges is most certainly worth that today...and then some. No doubt he has some incredible stuff that's worth big bucks. Im sure the two of you will have no problem finding someone that wants it and is willing to pay up the big $$$$ for it.

13. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Holding off on these til I know a bit more--thank you--he has no clue nor do I but have looked at some listed-this set was in the trunk of a silver hawk for many many years-he bought the car and all the stuff with it. The supercharger is there too but I haven't seen it yet. Says the gauges were serviced in SF inside. There are other weird odds and ends that I have never seen as well. Just trying to help him get rid of this stuff. There are boxes and boxes of parts.

Budget36 likes this.
  14. fleetside66

fleetside66

The price these gauges command is really based on rarity, like most sought after parts. Those first generation McCulloch gauges were made by Stewart-Warner & the second wave by U.S. Gauge. The gauge body of the first ones was no different that any of the other 2-5/8" Stewart-Warner "smooth bezel" gauges of the 1950's. In fact, they even used up some old needles that they used in the first Motor Minders. Here's a picture of the two side by side. As you can see, they did change the color, but it's the same pointer. The Motor Minder pictured is dated 1949. The ironic part about it all is that those Motor Minders usually trade in the $50 range & the McCulloch one in the stratosphere. I did see one sell for $2,000 recently. Crazy or not, it's simply an example of supply & demand.

IMG_5366.jpg

Speed~On and harpo1313 like this.
  15. John Doles

John Doles

Attached Files:

16. John Doles

John Doles

I have a couple gauges i was wondering if they were correct for the thunderbird.
    I buy and sell gauges. Never seen these exact ones.
    The sw is nos mint possible 1953 date code.

17. John Doles

John Doles

Attached Files:

18. Excuse me fellas, I’m just having a moment here !
    These gauges are beautiful. Funny, I have a modified VS 57 and the original mounting hardware for a Cad motor (complete setup)and it seems all that is worth less than the gauges, they are the jewellery to the customer though.
    One day.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020