Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1959 Chevy Apache Radiator Bushing Removal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Justin Hill, May 19, 2020.

1. Justin Hill

Justin Hill

Hello All,

I need some guidance on how to remove the bushing and hardware from the radiator mounts. I have searched all over the internet with no luck. I am now posting on here!

2. buschandbusch

buschandbusch
    from Reno, NV

Are you planning on reusing them? Or is it a big stuck together rusted mess? You have the style where a bolt goes through some rubber washers with a metal sleeve to keep the washers from getting too crushed, right?
    IMG_20200519_050831457.jpg
    It shouldn't be a one piece rubber grommet, so a chisel/scraper should peel the rubber washer off each side after using a drift to push out the spacer?
    If it's all rusted and stuck together, perhaps a torch would be your pal. It would unstick the rusted stuff and burn off the old rubber while you're at it?

3. squirrel

squirrel

Post a picture of what you are dealing with, so we can see. We have no idea how far you have it disassembled, if at all....maybe you already cut the bolt head off, or ????

but yeah, the bushing can get rusted on the bolt, and stuck. It's a 7/16" bolt, and the bushing is split, so if you can find the split, and get a chisel or screwdriver blade in there to spread it out, it will come apart.

4. Justin Hill

Justin Hill

This is a zoomed in picture I hope it helps give you a better understanding.

Attached Files:

5. squirrel

squirrel

That's a big help. Not the problem I imagined, at all, which was with the bushing Your bushing is gone, the bolt is cut off a little ways above the captive nut.

You will have fun with this one....one thing you could do is to cut off the cage that holds the big square nut, then see if you can either remove the broken bolt from the nut, or make a new nut, and then weld the cage back in place with the nut where it belongs. The nut has to be able to move around.

Justin Hill likes this.
  6. Justin Hill

Justin Hill

That's a big help. Thanks for the idea. The other side has it all intact. Do I just unscrew it? I don't want to end up breaking this one too. After looking at the assembly plan posted above, it looks as if it was removed at one time and placed back in its spot. However, it's not easily removed, which is why I am currently asking about it.

Attached Files:

7. squirrel

squirrel

On the other side that is not broken, put some oil on it and let it soak, and see how it turns. Take your time if it's stuck...try screwing it in further, before removing it. And work it back and forth, if it does turn, but is tight. If you apply too much torque, it will either break the bolt, or break the nut cage loose, either of which is no fun to fix. A torch helps a lot on things like this, get the nut red hot, add a drop of oil, and it might just unscrew easily.

8. Justin Hill

Justin Hill

Thank you for your help!